Lumapower D mini, M-1 and water

skunksoup

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had there D mini or M-1 in any kind of water? Rain or submerged in water?

spoonrobot

Enlightened
My D-mini exhibited no water ingress when taken into the shower for 15-20 minutes. None was found either when light was submerged in a 8 inch puddle for 10 minutes.

Senses

Newly Enlightened
I put my D-mini in a big glass of water for 40 minutes, no problem what so ever, can't do the same with my Fenix's though, ouch :laughing:

JML

Enlightened
I recently got a D-Mini HA-III and an M3. I think you ought to open up everything that can be unscrewed and add Nyogel 779 or something similar to the threaded surfaces and 0-rings before you take the lights near water. There was very little lubrication on many of the threads, and none at all that I could see on the tail switch threading where it goes into the tail cap. As far as I could see, the only thing that prevents water from entering at the tail is the black or GID switch cover. There was no O-ring providing another seal. The momentary tactical switch has NO threading on it at all; it just slips in there.

You might immerse the light or get it wet, open it up, and not immediately see any water in the battery compartment, but that's because it would have to leak into there past the switch. But there might still be water you can't see under the switch cap, in the switch, wicking in along the threads, etc.

The double-O-rings are a great touch on the Lumapower lights, but there's only ONE on the lens (between bezel and glass) and none on the tail (unless you consider the switch cover to provide that protection,but it's a flat and not round elastomer).

Last edited:

vee

Newly Enlightened
skunksoup said:
What is Nyogel 779 and where do you get it?

it's a lube for your o-rings & threads. i just got mine from www.lighthound.com & will try it out. they have product #779 & #760. i sent an email to lighthound with which lights i had & they were able to suggest which lube to use. you can search for nyogel & there's a lot of great reading. good luck.

JML

Enlightened
Many sources, including from Nye via their regional distributors. If you find a distributor, then you can ask them to get you anything Nye makes.

It's good stuff. Not cheap, but a tube will last you a very, very long time. Nyogel 779 is specifically formulated for aluminum threading and O-rings. It's thick lube, and gives the threading a smooth feel.

Nye makes the lubes for cameras and precision focusing machinery, like microscopes.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Senses said:
I put my D-mini in a big glass of water for 40 minutes, no problem what so ever, can't do the same with my Fenix's though, ouch :laughing:

Why not? I did(L1P, L2P, L2D), no problems at all. Which did you use?