Gerber Firecracker or 3rd gen Inova X1?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'll let you know as soon as we get our hands on a 3rd Gen X1.
:naughty:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I WILL buy a couple of the 3rd gen X1s and I have no interest in the Firecracker.

wink2.gif

redledz

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the firecracker might tailstand if thats important, but if the beam is a moonbeam/spot? hmmm, not too much love for that type of beam. I'm sure the 3rd gen X1 will be much brighter and probably have comparable runtime. X1 is most likely tougher built too.

nine

Newly Enlightened
where are you getting info about a gen 3 Inova? I haven't heard of it yet. But I will say that Gerber has a lot to make up for after the Infiniti M. I haven't even wanted to check out the specs for the Firecracker, or their 3AA & 4AA Fusion wannabes.

Cydonia

Enlightened
X1. But it all depends on what Inova has done with the lens this time around...
Didn't MattK from batteryjunction say the gen 3 X1 is due any week now? Hope it's this coming week.

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
Cydonia said:
X1. But it all depends on what Inova has done with the lens this time around...
Didn't MattK from batteryjunction say the gen 3 X1 is due any week now? Hope it's this coming week.
Matt from the battery junction said that the 3rd gen inova x-1 has the same led as the inova aaa bolt light..and once again they suposedly have shipped and will be available any day now........

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
nine said:
where are you getting info about a gen 3 Inova? I haven't heard of it yet. But I will say that Gerber has a lot to make up for after the Infiniti M. I haven't even wanted to check out the specs for the Firecracker, or their 3AA & 4AA Fusion wannabes.

There have been several threads on the new X1. It is supposed to use some Luxeon LED, but not a K2. We're not sure other than that. The runtime is said to have decreased, but it is supposed to be twice as bright as the 2.0 X1 (the one of the Nichia CS LED and the reflector) and will actually be 'white' rather than angry blue.

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
The overwhelming response seems to be Inova. I guess that maybe I should clarify what I am looking for is which would be brighter and which would be more durable. Both these issues have been addressed and I appreciate all your help. If anyone has anything to add based on this new information that would be great.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chusco411 said:
The overwhelming response seems to be Inova...If anyone has anything to add based on this new information that would be great.

I have a Gen 2 X1 and like it - a very decent light for the price. Seems quite tough, so I use it mainly as an outdoors backup light. The new version X1 may be better.

I also have two Gerbers, Infinity and Sonic, that are also very decent lights for what I paid. My impression is that the Infinity is even tougher than the X1.

I have to wonder why people are expressing a preference for the new X1 over the Firecracker without having seen either light.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I believe it has to do with the reputation of the Inova....plain and simple we all know that Inova makes a truly tough light. All of their products have proven to be incredible lights if for nothing other than being rugged.

Gerber makes some nice products however honestly is not on the same level as the Inova line. The Ultra-G was, and still is , a classic however when Gerber took it over they changed it to a much cheaper performing model in many peoples opinions.

Honestly I really do like the new look of Gerbers new products however as a CPF member with hands on experience from both makers there would be no hesitation from me on what product to buy...Inova.

So again without samples out to us on either product we have only past models from both makers to form our opinion. Reputation,word of mouth, and years of use by us all the general feeling is Inova for the reasons already mentioned......Personally I will buy both because I am weird like that and happen to like all lights....hehe

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
I have to wonder why people are expressing a preference for the new X1 over the Firecracker without having seen either light.

I probably have 8 various X1s and I currently own one Infinity Ultra and two Infinities. All the CMG versions, not the Gerber version. I've also probably owned an additional 10 CMG Ultras and two Gerber Infinity lights.

I think they are all solid lights and I would argue that with extended hard use, I think the CMG design Infinity or Infinity Ultra would hold up the longest.

Having said that, I've not had any failures in any of my lights including several 'freeze pop' sessions with the X1s so they all seem to be strong enough for me. The X1s look nicer... feel a bit more solid and have a better finish. Add to that the impression of quality given with a glass lens... I just prefer the X1 to the Infinity design.

Having said that if I were to go on safari and could only bring two lights, one of those would assuredly be my Infinity Ultra.