Replacement tail clickie for Brinkmann Maxfire LX

Vickers

Enlightened
Has anybody here had to replace the tail switch on the Maxfire LX? I fried mine the other day (Cree drop-in + Lithium rechargeables = loss of magic smoke).

Thanks!

mhubble

Enlightened
If I remember correctly they are easy to take in and out of the tailcap, the problem is finding a replacement.

Vickers

Enlightened
Yeah, I was able to get it apart...the little plastic shaft that is in the center literally melted.

If I can't find a replacement for a reasonable price I'll try to modify something to fit in there.

mdocod

Flashaholic
that's odd that it went up in smoke... that wasn't that heavy a drain, I've been using 2 maxfires at much great current into incans without trouble for awhile now.

Vickers

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened...I had been using the incan bulb for awhile with the 3.6V batteries with no problems (these are the purple ones from DX).

I went to the Brinkmann site to see if they sold replacement tail switches, but no dice. I wrote them an email asking about availability, but no reply yet.

:(

I love this little light.

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
Before the smoke, how did the Cree drop-in perform? I have been thinking of getting one.

LGCubana

Enlightened
Vickers said:
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened...I had been using the incan bulb for awhile with the 3.6V batteries with no problems (these are the purple ones from DX).

I went to the Brinkmann site to see if they sold replacement tail switches, but no dice. I wrote them an email asking about availability, but no reply yet.

:(

I love this little light.

Are you sure that this setup is safe ?

1. A polymer encased light; no way to dissipate heat
2. Un-vented, unregulated RCR123As; running in tandem at over 8v
3. In a direct drive unit

Vickers

Enlightened
garageguy said:
Before the smoke, how did the Cree drop-in perform? I have been thinking of getting one.

It was VERY bright. But, if you plan on getting this one realize you have to modify it slightly to get the bezel to screw all the way in (it's about 1/16" too long). There is another one that is supposedly the correct length, but it was sold out.

LGCubana said:
Are you sure that this setup is safe ?

1. A polymer encased light; no way to dissipate heat
2. Un-vented, unregulated RCR123As; running in tandem at over 8v
3. In a direct drive unit

Nope, not sure it's entirely safe. The drop-in has a substantial hunk of aluminum, so heat-sinking doesn't appear to be an issue (I never ran it for very long, either in incan or LED mode).

DX says the drop-in is regulated.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447

The batteries are the big unknown here, but I never let them discharge very much, and I always charge/use them in pairs.

I'm leaning toward thinking the tailswitch somehow shorted out internally which caused the overheating (as I mentioned, I never had a problem running the incan in there with the same configuration).

Vickers

Enlightened
I found the problem with my Cree drop-in (this is copied from a reply to another thread):

"Hey, I found the problem with my $12.50 drop-in.

I had already burned up one Maxfire tailswitch, then half-burned another (I think it might be fixable).

I received the BENNO light I mentioned above the other day, put the $12.50 drop-in in there, and IT started getting hot...wtf? Some kind of short somewhere, right?

I took it out and tested it with a multimeter and checked it visually and hooked it up to a DC power source on a bench etc. etc. and it all seemed OK.

Anyway, I took another look at it tonight, and underneath the little plastic part that is supposed to keep things from shorting out (between the two aluminum pieces that screw together) I saw a *teeny-tiny* piece of solder hanging off the positive side of the LED.

I flicked it away with a spudger and VOILA! it works OK now."

mdocod

Flashaholic
glad you found that thread... I just noticed this thread again, then remember that one and I had meant to find this one and point you in that direction. lol

musta got side tracked.... but that's definitely why the switch burned out...

if you had protected cells like a "responsible" CPFer your switch would be fine, lol.