burnt led?

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
what happens when you burn out a led? besides it not working. will it get dimmer? Will it pulse? will it blink on and off? reason being. I had a couple strands of wire touching my heatsink and they shorted not alot mind you but just enough for them to get red hot.now the led is considerbly dimmer. Did I cook it?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep i overvolted my spares and they did the same thing , dim and weak ,cooked the die

Markcm

Newly Enlightened
I second that, I've "experimented" with a few which reacted the same way. some went out, some dimmed/flickered and pulsed.

Illum

Flashaholic
burnt out as in overvoltage, overcurrent etc...then its more of an explosion....plug the contacts in an extension cord then plug the extension into a wall socket and you should hear a bang

usually over current DC it blinks warps color then blip...[no light]
I find overvoltage the same 'cept it pulses a bit before giving up

I havent burned out anything but the 5mms..so far:ohgeez:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Flashburn72 said;
they shorted not alot mind you but just enough for them to get red hot.now the led is considerbly dimmer. Did I cook it?[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

LOL!!:laughing: Only "red hot"

Sorry, that just tickled me for some reason. Sorry too, that your LED got smoked.

Always more were that came from right! :)

Led_Blind

Enlightened
I have done the same thing by mistake where the sink was not correctly grounded. In the end the damage was to the DB converter, not the led.

Markcm

Newly Enlightened
Led_Blind said:
I have done the same thing by mistake where the sink was not correctly grounded. In the end the damage was to the DB converter, not the led.
In my case, I was working with a Luxeon III directly driven. The base (I am referring to the slug or heat sink on the bottom) must be electrically isolated from both the anode and the cathode (not grounded). I pushed the thermal operating limits with over voltage and cooling until it just couldn't take it any more. I have also accidentally caused a brief short of the anode / cathode contacts during operation before which caused the same fizzed out conditions .