New Luxeon K2 products

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a FYI for everyone, there are some new Luxeon K2 products.

Lumileds has announced K2s in cool white and warm white flavors.

In addition, they are also producing "official" K2 stars. Prior to now, K2 stars were K2 emitters placed on a star by a 3rd party.

The updated K2 datasheet is here:

http://www.luxeon.com/pdfs/DS51.pdf

Future Electronics does not show any of these new products in their catalog as of today.

Sawtooth

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully not more vapor-ware from lumileds. It would be nice if they were available for purchase before the next three generations of Cree are released.... I noticed that they still have the "Call" icon next to all of the star parts (and the V-bin emitter) and this usually means not available (right?).

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, considering that their primary distributor (future) doesn't even show the parts in their catalog at all, those are not available right now.

The V-bin unavailablity is puzzling. I just got some S-bin -12 parts, and they hit 120 lumens at 1A (I measured one tonight) - so there's no reason the same parts couldn't be sold as V-bin -14 parts - they would just need to be characterized at 1A.

I wonder if V-bins aren't by special order only or something. Perhaps lumileds is starting to shift their priority to 350mA parts, since that seems to be the industry standard for power LEDs.

So far this year, lumileds has been announcing something once per month:
January - 115lm/watt LED
February - "anti-droop" tech
March - Rebel
April - Expanded K2 product line

Maybe this will continue? Who knows...It'd be nice to see some big movements from them as well...They seem to be taking their sweet time for whatever reason...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems I miss something here,
when I come to page 5 of the datasheet, I think: *ah*
and click that browser window away
:thinking: