5mm led vs powerled like CREE XR-E

Juctuc

Newly Enlightened
Hello From Finland!!

I need opinion from you!.In Finland we have few companies which are selling Ledspots for MR16.Usually there is 30-40 pcs of 3mm or 5mm led in cup.

But am i right if im thinking that the lifetime of the normal 5mm led is very bad, if compare to example CREE XR-E?

In Finland we have even streetlight made by 5mm leds.There is about 500pcs of those in cup.40w and over 2000 lm.Is that even possible?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
would like to see some pics of the light such a street light gives, do You have some in Your area to take a few pics?
imho that multiple 5mm lights are just for signaling porposes, but even there not so good. f.e. we have signes here for our tramways and they start to use such 5mm clusters there.
Happens the sign is: upper row, three in horizontal for STOP, lower row one in the middle running with the middle of upper row for GO.
Now these are not too long in service now, but the always running upper middle cluster is noticeably lower in output already --> bad example for degradation of led
(still it will live much longer, or be at least more "signaling", than the incan type)

as for comparison led-cluster with power led:

lights
anfwxznc9ctdrpeus.jpg

that 28 5mm light alone:
anfwyeazdc6lt5to4.jpg

"beam" a bit to the right and Fenix L1d-ce on high at left:
(and a fresh battery 2 cell D Mag up middle)
anfwz3int26b55to4.jpg

+ a Cree P4 at 850-900 mA:
anfwze53b5281js6s.jpg

these cluster-lights make good hosts as they are cheap, but ...

Last edited:

Juctuc

Newly Enlightened
The place is near...i will take some pictures of the light today,,i hope.

I have read many reports about those 5mm leds. My opinion is that 5mm led will loose lightoutput 50% in 6000h use.Maybe more.But im kind of alone with my thoughts here, so i try to get some back-up from you=)