• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired New product from the Atomic Coop!!! World's finest keychain GITD glow fob!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

While I was waiting for the new Aviatrix boards on Thursday, I whipped this up in the machine shop. It's a polycarbonate glowing keychain fob, using Glow, Inc. Ultra-Green (TM) glow powder suspended in epoxy:

THESE ARE THUMBNAILS... CLICK FOR FULL-SIZE IMAGE

THESE ARE THUMBNAILS... CLICK FOR FULL-SIZE IMAGE

Some details:

The fob is 2" long, by 1/2" in diameter. It is made from the highest quality transparent polycarbonate (Lexan) plastic, the same kind that is used to make unbreakable helmets and bulletproof glass windows. Every edge and surface has been beveled and cut to make this look and feel like the top-quality product that it is.

As the upper-right photo shows, the epoxy channel goes partway through the fob, then takes a "right angle" coming out the side of the fob. This is intended to keep the epoxy/glow powder from EVER coming out of the fob, in cases of high impact or thermal expansion/contraction.

The epoxy-filled hole through the fob is a generous 1/4" in diameter, and is filled with a high-concentration mix of Glow, Inc. Ultra-Green (TM) glow powder (advertised as having a 12+ hour glow time) and clear epoxy resin. Many CPF members are familiar with this glow powder, it has been the basis of many mods here in the past and has an excellent reputation for quality and glow time.

I'll make these for anyone who wants one - $12.50 each SHIPPED for the first unit ordered, $10 for each additional unit ordered for the same shipment. Price includes shipping via USPS mail, sent within 7 days of receiving order. No international orders yet... but I intend to offer international shipping in the near future. If the price seems a bit high, remember: this is designed to LAST... it's made from the finest materials possible, using the best design (for-ruggedness) I could come up with.

Paypal payments can be made to:

bawko AT hotmail DOT com

Please add 3% if you're using a credit-card for your Paypal payment instead of a bank account, to cover the surcharge.
I also accept USPS money orders, email me at the above address for the mailing address if you choose to send a money order.

PLEASE NOTE: These are Glow-In-The-Dark chemical based, they MUST be charged (exposed to bright light source) before they glow... they are NOT constant-glow like Tritium vials. I hope to offer a Tritium version in the future, if a reliable source of 3mm-5mm Tritium vials can be found.

Update: It looks like I will NOT be able to offer a Tritium version after all, as I've become aware that U.S. laws prohibit me from dealing in Tritium devices of a "frivolous" nature. Apparently, being able to see your watch in the dark is OK, but being able to see your keys and lock aren't. Whatever... I didn't make the rules. Anyway, as a workaround, if YOU obtain the 3mmx23mm Tritium vial from overseas (there is a seller on this forum, HERE), I will machine the fob to fit the vial and even knock $2.50 off the price, since I won't need to use any of my glow powder. I will ship it to you, and you can insert the vial and epoxy it into the fob. Please specify "For Tritium Vial" when ordering, if you would like this option.
Best wishes, and thanks for viewing!
Bawko

Edit: Added information on 3% credit-card surcharge.
Edit: Added information on money-order acceptance.
Edit: Added information to emphasize that GITD powder requires "charging".
Edit: Added information on Tritium non-availability. :(

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Re: New product from the Atomic Coop!!! World's finest keychain glow fob!

Greetings!

I'm also offering these in Glow, Inc. Ultra-Blue color as well... same price.

**NOW AVAILABLE** - Ultra Green V10 Powder - glows longer, glows brighter. Since this powder is more expensive to buy, I'm charging an extra $2.50 per fob for this color.

If you've already placed an order as of 2007-04-02, I will upgrade your fob from Ultra Green to Ultra Green V10 for an extra $1.50. Act NOW though - I will be pouring epoxy for the first batch on Saturday evening or Sunday - so you need to get back to me right away if you want an upgrade.

Best wishes,
Bawko

EDIT (2007-04-03): Added Ultra Green V10 powder as an option.

Last edited:

s.duff

Enlightened

very cool!

GRoLED

Newly Enlightened

Oooh, pretty, I'll be in for a couple.

Looking forward to when you start offering international shipping on these.

maddog

Enlightened

:paypal: sent for 2 Green Fobs

thanks,
brandt

Nebula

Enlightened

AC - PP inbound for:

1 x Ultra-Green Fob
1x Ultra-Blue Fob

Thanks

KK

Last edited:

jefft

Enlightened

Since I missed out for the first run of the Aviatrix mod, I guess a couple of these little guys should tide me over.
(1) ultra-green
(1) ultra-blue
PayPal sent!
I'll be back when the second Aviatrix run starts......

cbdudley

Enlightened

Hey Chicken,

PayPal is on the way for two fobs - one of each color. Thanks.

Silversurfer

Enlightened

Paypal sent for one ultra-green.

Thanks.

DM51

Flashaholic

When you say epoxy/powder mix, is this set hard like epoxy glue, and is the fill channel totally sealed? In other words, is it 100% waterproof so it could be taken diving?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

DM51 said:
When you say epoxy/powder mix, is this set hard like epoxy glue, and is the fill channel totally sealed? In other words, is it 100% waterproof so it could be taken diving?

Absolutely. I basically take clear epoxy, mix up a batch, then stir in the glow powder until it's the right consistency. I use a syringe to inject it into the drilled hole, with a piece of tape applied to the right-angle "side" hole going into the main hole, so the epoxy doesn't all leak out. It dries VERY hard, the consistency of hard plastic, so you should have no problem at all diving with it, showering with it, dropping it into a cup of coffee, or any other liquid-abuse you can think of.

I doubt that it would be bright enough for most diving uses though... it's more of a "find a keyhole" or find your dropped keys in the dark kind of thing.

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic

Sounds very good. Can I take 4x green in due course - I suggest shipping with my Aviatrix order when everything is ready to go.

I really can't imagine how you find enough time for all the things you do - don't you ever sleep?!! Just be careful you don't wear yourself out!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

very cool. These aren't constant glow right. They need to be "charged" up in order to work, right? So if I had my keys in my pocket for several hours and then worked into a theater which is already dark and pulled my keys out, will the fob glow?

Thanks

Phredd

Enlightened

Would it be possible to make me one that is narrower, and instead of the glow powder, just hollowed out for a 3x23mm tritium vial? I know I could buy one ready made, but your's looks much better.

Phredd