Best 18650 light from DX?

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
Im not very knowledgable about flashlights but I am looking to buy one from Deal Extreme. I would like a good camping lightunder $30. I would prefer something with a high/low setting. I was looking at:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2672
http://www2.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1446

Any recomendations?

Also, Im looking for a small cheap cr123a Light under $20 that I can keep in my pocket.

Thanks guys. I think ive been bit by the flashlight bug.

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
A lot of people seem to like the U2-Style one. Your 2nd link. It has high/low mode. Extremely bright on high. And fits a protected 18650 cell without modification.

As for a pocket cr123.
The cheap version is at DX. $12
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1996
I have one of those and it makes for a great bright on/off pocket light.

There's also a large thread on this one.
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1485
The thread calls it a P1 clone. People also seem extremely happy with it for $15.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire C2 is great. DX sells it for $22, Kaidomain sells a HA-III Natural version for $26. Great light -- lots of spill so great for working up close, yet it has a concentrated hotspot so it has decent throw at the same time. It's a buck circuit, so it will run 2xCR123 regulated, or 18650 regulated initially, gradually dropping output after (but with longer runtime). No high/low unfortunately.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
Ultrafire C2 is great. DX sells it for $22, Kaidomain sells a HA-III Natural version for $26. Great light -- lots of spill so great for working up close, yet it has a concentrated hotspot so it has decent throw at the same time. It's a buck circuit, so it will run 2xCR123 regulated, or 18650 regulated initially, gradually dropping output after (but with longer runtime). No high/low unfortunately.

+1
Mike

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Try the C2, Just remember to clean the positive pole on the lead head, and fix the protected cell + Pole problem.

As for the: UltraFire Alpha-C1 1x18650 2xCR123A Cree Flashlight

I'd love to see some specs. It's simular in style to a surefire l1/U2.

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultrafire C2 is a wonderful light for the price! Although, it only has one mode....no "low" beam :whistle:

I would suggest the U2 style light if you absolutely need a high/low level light...

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
I have and like the EYJ U2 style light. Mine is very bright on high with a usefull low, haven't had time to test run time yet. I run it with a protected cell I bought with the light, forget if it was DX or Kia.

The Hastos is a head light that is easy to mod with a Seoul star if you'd like a head light for hands-free convenience. Not as bright on high as the EYJ or C2, but still very bright. Only down side is it uses three AAA cells. But the mod is very easy: just unscrew the from lens (clockwise to remove BTW), star is soldered on and held down with two screws. I used some heatsink paste under the Seoul star before screwing it down. The Seoul works very well with the stock reflector without any modifications. The low setting on this light is not very useful as it's not much different than high, especially as the cell votage drops. Both DX and Kia has the Hastos.

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
I have the DX U2 as well and like it very much. Very bright on high with lots of spill (and respectable throw) and good useable low for night adjusted eyes. I only had one problem with the unit when it stopped functioning. I just had to unscrew the pill 1/2 turn and it worked great again. I guess it does not work well if the battery is pressing hard against the pill.
Also remember to put some thermal paste under the star. It is a quick 5 min job but will transfer heat to the pill/body much better.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
davenlei said:
I have the DX U2 as well and like it very much. Very bright on high with lots of spill (and respectable throw) and good useable low for night adjusted eyes. I only had one problem with the unit when it stopped functioning. I just had to unscrew the pill 1/2 turn and it worked great again. I guess it does not work well if the battery is pressing hard against the pill.
Also remember to put some thermal paste under the star. It is a quick 5 min job but will transfer heat to the pill/body much better.

Hi.

Your right about the battery pressing too hard, a problem with many fl's.

I can't see (from the dxpics) if there is a ( Neg pole) spring on the tailclicky end.

I know that on single AA fl's the led circuits & clicky screw caps tend to unscrew often.

However many simple solutions exist.

The C2 has the same flat + pole as my single AA fl's, and it's always getting dirty, probably made of nickel.

Would be nice if the FL's had copper, gold or SS contacts, and good springs.

ttfn

Last edited:

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
On the DX U2 it is a spring loaded copper (looks like copper) pin at the tailcap for the negative pole. The spring at the pin is pretty strong.

Last edited:

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
i finally got my u2 style in (that's another story). This light is amazingly bright. Seems to be solidly constructed. I would recommend it.

ken

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
There was a thread in the reviews section that compared the C2, DX U2 and D-mini.

x2x3x2

Banned
underconstruction,

both of them, and also the second u2-style clone are available for comparison on my site.

I just noticed that u might need the light to be pocketable (missed that earlier). Then i would go for on the slimmer u2-style clone, not the EYJ version. Firstly cos it's slimmer and lighter, and the battery life is almost double the slimmer version compared to the EYJ.

Last edited: