Vitamin D casts cancer prevention in new light

cy

Flashaholic
For decades, researchers have puzzled over why rich northern countries have cancer rates many times higher than those in developing countries — and many have laid the blame on dangerous pollutants spewed out by industry. ~

But perhaps the biggest bombshell about vitamin D's effects is about to go off. In June, U.S. researchers will announce the first direct link between cancer prevention and the sunshine vitamin. Their results are nothing short of astounding.

A four-year clinical trial involving 1,200 women found those taking the vitamin had about a 60-per-cent reduction in cancer incidence, compared with those who didn't take it, a drop so large — twice the impact on cancer attributed to smoking — it almost looks like a typographical error.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...itamin28/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting stuff. I had heard this theory before. I've been intending to get back on a vitamin & supplement routine, and this pushed me over the edge. Just ordered a bunch from GNC.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting article, definitely worth paying attention to. However I must point out something in general. (I don't intend this directly at Powernoodle btw but his post reminds me of something I'm constantly telling my athletes and their parents.)

Supplements are a billion dollar business now. And even with billions of dollars of supplements being used we still see increasing disease, cancer, etc most every year. While supplements are quite useful in some situations, many people would have no need for them if they would simply eat properly. This will get all the good stuff you need inside your body. Popping supplement pills are not going to replace good eating habits. If you put cr@p into your body, your body is going to feel like cr@p. Even with supplements, eating refined, processed, cheap, quick, HFCS-laden fast food garbage will take its toll on your body.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Interesting and thought proviking article. The one thing that worries me about it though:
In the body, vitamin D is converted into a steroid hormone, and genes responding to it play a crucial role in fixing damaged cells and maintaining good cell health. "There is no better anti-cancer agent than activated vitamin D. I mean, it does everything you'd want," said Dr. Cannell of the Vitamin D Council. (emphasis mine)

Where does the "Vitamin D Council" get it's funding from, and did they provide any funding for this study?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great read. I've been using vitamin D supplements since I was young. I still take 1000 mg everyday due to me working a swing shift. Living in the northern hemi doesnt help with vitamin D production neither.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhantomPhoton said:
And even with billions of dollars of supplements being used we still see increasing disease, cancer, etc most every year.

Fortunately, new cancer rates and death rates from cancer were declining through the 1990s - the most recent data I could find. linky
linky 2

While these declining rates may not be attributable to vitamin and other supplementation, there does appear to be good evidence that they have a positive effect on health, especially compounds such as folic acid, selenium, lycopene, etc. You are certainly right that it starts with a good diet.

cheers

cy

Flashaholic
since I eat loads of oranges and other fruits and are out in the sun regularly biking. odds are my Vit D needs are covered....