Lumens Factory & Battery Junction

ac0311

Newly Enlightened
Looking for input on the combo of Lumens Factory LAs & Battery Junction's protected 18650. Battery Junction has these for $6.19 each & compared to AW's 18650 for $12.00, the battery junction sounds like the route, cost wise, but how good are the battery junction 18650? Any input appreciated.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'll copy this over from the li-ion incan guide... link to the full guide is in my signature:

I recommend the following cell brands for use in flashlights.

1. AWs Protected Li-Ions, available in many sizes... they are available at Lighthound and through his sales thread in the dealer section of this forum.
2. Wolf-Eyes Protected Li-Ions, available from Pacific Tactical Solutions
3. Pila Protected Li-Ions, available from Jsburlys

These are the most commonly used because they are the best quality cells available, and they have protection circuits that make them safer than ordinary "bare" lithium-Ion cells. These 3 brands of protected cells are the only protected cells on the market with high current thresholds set on those protection circuits, this is done specifically with the intention of being able to light up powerful incandescent bulbs. I do not recommend unprotected cells, or any cells that claim to be protected from other sources.. Going on ebay and picking up some really cheap cells is asking for trouble. Do so at your own risk, and understand that they may not work in your configuration.

Basically, what it boils down to, is I can't guarantee it will work or be safe, and therefor, if it doesn't work, then you end up having to buy different cells, so you end up spending MORE in the long run. Trying to save a buck now doesn't always translate to a savings in the long run.

Glen C

Enlightened
In your very last post asking a similar question https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/163629 I suggested having a look at Silverfox's excellent battery thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/117117 In that thread he test the batteries with 1,2,3, 4 & 5 amp draws. Due to a protection circuit the Tenergy were not able to complete the 3,4 & 5 amp tests. You did not say which LF lamp you wanted to use them with, but as the LF lamps can draw up to 2.4 amps, you are not really allowing yourself much headroom. I am sure this will work, but would you be getting the brightest result or the longest run for that battery size? I agree with Mdocod's comments above.

ps Forgot to mention when they did a special 2.5 amp test on Tenergy 18650, near the end it got terminated by the protection circuit, reducing the runtime. 2.5 amps is awful close to 2.4 :) Good luck with whatever choice you make

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
AC0311, maybe if you specify which lamp would help. The price is very good on the battery junction and if it is a low draw lamp they would be more than adequate and a good cost saving.

cfromc

Enlightened
I too was looking at the BJ 18650 protected batteries until I noticed the statement that the protection circuit only works when one single battery is used. The way I read it, if the batteries are used in series or parallel, the PC won't work.

ac0311

Newly Enlightened
Glen C,

I plan on driving a D36 EO-9L on two 18650 & maybe later on adding an extender to the Wolf Eyes M90X and running a D36 HO-12 or E-13.

Glen C

Enlightened
ac0311, the EO9L draws 2.4 amps, the EO13 2.2 amps. Those are high current bulbs. I think the Tenergy are probably fine for low current applications, but as stated in Silverfox's graph, the protection kicked in on the 2.5 amp test and shortened potential runtime. Given the bulb choice, I personally would spend the extra $17 and get a higher current choice. If you are worried about money, you will be more worried if the protection kicking in forces you to buy twice. I would get a WE, Pila or AW. Your choice may of course vary from mine.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Glen C is right. Those 18650s would be a pain to use with those high current lamps. You'd probably have to triple tap to get it started.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
ac0311 said:
Glen C,
I plan on driving a D36 EO-9L on two 18650 & maybe later on adding an extender to the Wolf Eyes M90X and running a D36 HO-12 or E-13.
Here is my set-up:
Pila GL3 (Incandescent)
Modifications: Lumens Factory EO-9 380 lumens lamp assembly.
Power: 2 Pila 300P 1400 mAh 3.7 volt protected unregulated Li-ion cells.
Switch: Wolf-Eyes 9 volt True clicky tail-cap.
I hope to switch to using 3 e-lectronics.net RCR123A 600 mAh 3.0 volt ic protected regulated li-ion cells as soon as I get some more cash ahead.
I really like the output on this set-up!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My duty light is a PILA GL3R.
I've been running a Lumen Factory EO-9 also. Killer bright.
I'm considering the 9V D36 EO9L (450 lumens) for this with my Old GL4R using PILA batteries as my in the car back up light.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I hope to switch to using 3 e-lectronics.net RCR123A 600 mAh 3.0 volt ic protected regulated li-ion cells as soon as I get some more cash ahead.-PeteBroccolo

why would you want to downgrade to a configuration that would have about 1/3rd the runtime, less output, a high likelihood of not working at all, and a high likelihood of overheating cells and exploding?

Glen C

Enlightened
Pete Broccolo, I was going to say the same as mdocod, I run the same setup as you except in WE, a Raider 9TF with LED tailcap and LF EO9 and 2 x LRB150A (1400mah), I think that is a pretty optimum off the shelf setup which should have less sag than 3 x RCR123 3.0V and be much brighter after about half way through the discharge curve (and just a little brighter at the start). I am willing to learn though on any ideas which say otherwise. I think you might be better to save some money and stick with your present setup.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Just get the Wolf-Eyes brand cells. They make good contact, don't require magnets, and are worth it in quality.

I have those tenergy cells... bad purchase. AW cells are nice, but some of my cells make poor contact.

Last edited:

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
mdocod said:
why would you want to downgrade to a configuration that would have about 1/3rd the runtime, less output, a high likelihood of not working at all, and a high likelihood of overheating cells and exploding?
I had been using those e-lectronics.net cells in this light with both the Pila 200 lumens LA AND the above LF LA and everything seemed to work just fine. The main reason I no longer run it that way is because I gave 4 of my cells and the charger for them to my son to run his Gladius with. I still have 2 cells left over, so was going to buy another set of 4 cells and a charger.

If the concern is the mAh rating of the cells, I am certainly open to moving up to higher rated cells, but I have certainly been happy with these cells and e-lectronics.net's service.

Glen C

Enlightened
Pete, the draw on the EO9 is 2 amps, might be easier on the 1400mah Pila 300Ps rather than the 600mah RCR123 3.OV, especially when most consider 2C a safe limit. It would be drawing over 3C on the little 600mah, compared to not even 1.5C on the Pilas.