battery mix

knot

Banned
I ran search on this board but getting this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1024 bytes) in /home/cpf/httpdocs/vb/search.php on line 843

Anyway, my question is - Is it ok to run 2 niMH and one alkaline AAA in my Lenser? The Duracell battery pack only came with 2 AAA. (hehe, at least they're all duracells)

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything's OK until something goes wrong. It's not a good idea to mix battery chemistries. It hugely increases the risk of reverse charging cells and having something leak (or even explode).

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchBoy said:
Everything's OK until something goes wrong. It's not a good idea to mix battery chemistries. It hugely increases the risk of reverse charging cells and having something leak (or even explode).
+1:caution::duck::poof:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
In that config, depending on cell order, you would probably find the ni-mh cells drain first. I have done it in an emergency situation but it is not recomended for everyday use.

its like using the space saver tyre every day. It works but is not recomended :)

knot

Banned
Led_Blind said:
In that config, depending on cell order, you would probably find the ni-mh cells drain first. I have done it in an emergency situation but it is not recomended for everyday use.

its like using the space saver tyre every day. It works but is not recomended :)

How about I set the cell order at the alkie last - as in the forward most (positive) order? That makes the most sense to me as I won't have 1.5v pushing 1.2 volts from behind.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nimh:
3 packs of two = two loads of three
3 packs of four= four loads of three

Simple.

Now then, charging, simply keep discharged until you have enough for multi charging, whether it be 2 or 4 cells charger !

Or have I missed the point here.

Apart from that, it's downright dangerous to mix battery types, not that you can easily get a "D" cell into a "AAA" torch (tic)

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
knot said:
I'm saving up for my next battery purchase, Until then, I'm stuck with enough AA but only two AAA.

If you lived in UK, I'd send you some AAA nimh's.

Perhaps someone closer to home would be so kind ?

knot

Banned
You are very kind. I think shipping is outrageous so that's out of the question. I can't even sell this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140117996563&ssPageName=ADME:L:DSS:US:11

I've had some inquires on shipping (with 4 people watching the bids) then no bids.

I should be more financially able to next week. Too bad I can't just buy one battery.

It costs me almost $5.00 in gas just to go to the store. (home depot, lowes, costco, etc)

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
knot said:
Is it ok to run 2 niMH and one alkaline AAA in my Lenser? The Duracell battery pack only came with 2 AAA. (hehe, at least they're all duracells)
CPF search result said:
Fatal error
I think the search function was trying to tell you something.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
In an emergency, if the NiMH cell is properly charged, the alkaline cells are both still good and your light is outputting normal brightness...then I'd give a qualified "yes" for temporary use. The problem is that ALL of the mentioned parameters should be met to prevent ruining the NiMH cell or causing the alkies to leak and it won't take long before one of the three cells poop out and, possibly, reverse charges. Cell order doesn't matter but, of course, proper polarity (orientation) is critical. ;)

As abvidled UK suggested: get more NiMH cells. If the light receives little use or sits for months between outings, then alkaline or, better yet, lithium cells are better.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
knot said:
I should be more financially able to next week. Too bad I can't just buy one battery.
You can, you just need to know where to buy. But you should really use a matched set of three, since any new AAA cell you get would almost certainly have a different capacity, and so you've got the reverse charging situation again.