Sources for CREE and SSC other than DealExtreme

WNG

Enlightened
I haven't yet jumped on the bandwagon yet regarding moving up to the new generation of emitters. For 2 reasons actually...
1. Too many Luxeon-based flashlights already, and some I'm happy with them. Don't want to dump more money into new lights each time a new emitter hits the market.
2. Allowing some time for CREE and SSC offerings to stabilize and improve any production kinks.

So, I've decided to fuel my hobby by attempting to mod my current stock of lights and give them that personal touch.
Now seems the right time to step up to CREE and SSC P4. I love what some of my fellow CPFers have done to their Mags, and other makes.

I have a stash of new incan 3/4D Mags and heatsinks that were to see Lux 3 and 5 mods. But no longer...going to try the SSC instead for its better match than the CREE's output.

Other mods I'll attempt are:
Blaster 3P Lux-3 to SSC P4.

River Rock 2C to CREE. (already comes with aspheric lens. Any mod is an improvement!)
And the same mod to a 3AAA chinese-made deep-reflectored light that received a CREE, done and sold be a fellow CPFer. Seems I have bought one back in the day when AXShop existed.

What I'd like to know are there alternative sources to the obvious DealExtreme site for bare emitters, stars, circuits? The mistakes in shipping and long shipping times are a concern, even with what looks like good prices.

To all you modders out there, keep the posts and pics coming in. They are inspiring.

sygyzy

Enlightened
What's the difference between Cree and SSC P4 and why choose one over the other?

WNG

Enlightened
Although output is similar, the CREE emitter's output is narrow, while the SSC is lambertian like the Luxeons. More compatible with existing crop of reflectors and optics.
CREE requires specific optics for optimal performance.

Also some issues with electrical connectivity at their bases, IIRC.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'd like to know are there alternative sources to the obvious DealExtreme site for bare emitters, stars, circuits? The mistakes in shipping and long shipping times are a concern, even with what looks like good prices.
Photonfanatic in the Custom/Modified lights B/S/T Forum sells emitters & some stars and is good to deal with. Some others in the B/S/T forums sell some too.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonFanatic sells SSCP4 bare emitters and stars, but he's on vacation until late June. Without going into detail, his stock is of higher quality. The DX SSCP4 stars are only recommended for cheap flashlights due to thermal concerns, but the bare emitters they sell should work fine for your Mag mods. The only issue there is that it may take 2-3 weeks to get them from DX. The Sandwich Shoppe also carries them, but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. You could also try mouser (dot com) as I've heard people order from them too. Yup, the SSCP4 works better for luxeon swap outs. Although if you like variety, it's cool to have some flashlights modded with a CreeXRE too...

Christexan

Enlightened
Mouser I believe sells the SSC P4s. The Crees are available at several locations.
Both the Cree XR-E and Luxeons are Lambertian (if you get lambertian luxeons that is), the difference is the angle of the dispersion pattern, 70 degrees (*) (Cree) FWHM (full width/half maximum brightness), compared to 120* (Luxeon, the SSC P4 is similar I believe). This means lenses are not interchangeable between the Cree and SSC P4 (well, they might be, but the beams won't match their package if used with the wrong emitter).
The packages between them are radically different, the Cree is a rectangular package optimized for surface mounting and thermal transfer through a neutral thermal solder pad under the emitter. The SSC P4 is a round package (like Luxeons), with an electrically active pad under the emitter (negative I believe, but again, I don't use them).
Some have trouble handling/adapting to the Crees, I find they are much easier than the Luxeon style package personally, but I machine my own heatsinks with "cutouts" under the under-package contacts of the Cree (it has both top and bottom contact pads, an issue if putting the package directly onto a metal heatsink, a non-issue for PCB mounting). Frankly with all the fuss after they first came out, I thought they'd be a pain to handle, turned out just the opposite, they are a cinch, just remember to pre-tin the contacts and all is well. A couple of quick swipes with a HOT soldering iron back and forth, then touch the solder without lifting the iron and follow it one end to the other, and done... then do the same thing just before touching the pre-tinned wire to it, and no effort at all. I also reflow surface mount them to electrically isolated heatsinks, you don't want to know my "not approved" method of that... :) The P4s are easier with dedicated leads out of the package (both Cree and P4s can be bought pre-mounted on stars/round PCBs), but you have to ensure to isolate your heatsink from the rest of the circuit or housing if all aren't electrically neutral.