LED Car light bulbs

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
MODS: PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD IF YOU FEEL THE NEED. PLEASE DON'T DELETE... THANKS!!

Hello all,

I would like some input from you LED experts and I was curious as to what you guys think of these(link below). I want them for the "fog" lights on my new car (Mazda 3). Please let me know if these would be ok. I am honestly intrigued by the idea of having LED's as forward lights on my car. The so called fog lights on my car are not very bright and they just barely light the area forward of the front bumper. I just want something that is bright and looks cool. Thank you for any input!!!
Dave
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-H11-Fog-1W-High-Power-LED-Xenon-White-Bulbs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ010QQitemZ200114286775QQtcZphoto

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The link is not there anymore.

Your front fog lights are only supposed to light a few metres in front of the car. They are aimed low so that the light is not reflected off of the fog and are only useful if you drive slowly. To my knowledge front fog lights use standard 55w halogen bulbs. There is absolutely no way that a 1w LED will put out anywhere near as much light as a 55w halogen. In fact you probably won't even notice that they are switched on.

Luxeon I outputs ~ 40 lumens and 55w halogen ~ 800 lumens.

If you can get them in the correct fitting, they might make good sidelights providing they are aimed straight ahead.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might suggest amber. You may need to check with your Dept of Trans for legality.

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
There's a bloke by the name of Daniel Stern who has a lighting company ([SIZE=-1]www.danielsternlighting.com) who's got a lot of good info on lighting and in particular color.

[/SIZE]