28 Lumen MinMag -- 104 Lumen Brinkmann 3AA

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was browsing Welch Allyn's web site and downloaded the "Wire Terminal Lamps Types" PDF from this page: http://www.walamp.com/tech.asp

They have a 2.4 V 1.10 A bulb # 01121 generating 2.30 MSCP = 28 Lumen that should be driveable nicely for 1.5 hours in a Minimag with NiMh's.

I don't have a Brinkmann 3AA, but I assume that it uses the same form factor bulb. If so, bulb # 01144 at 3.7 V draws 1.6 A and generates 8.40 MSCP or 104 Lumens. NiMh's should drive this for almost an hour, but the risk exists that voltage could drop to 3.4V or 3.5V at this amperage.

The less aggressive could use bulb # 01143 at 3.7 V which draws 1.02 A and generates 5.10 MSCP or 63 lumens. A good alternative might be bulb # 01114 rated at 3.6V drawing 1.12 A generating 5.0 MSCP = 62 Lumens.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmn. On another note, I've noticed that the dispersion of a light bulb isn't completely even, so there really isn't a way of converting MSCP to lumens.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSCP stands for Mean Spherical Candle Power. "Mean Spherical" translates at the "average delivered over a 360 degree field rotated in all directions." Thus, the unevenness of dispersion is factored into the definition of MSCP. MSCP is what is challenging to measure

Accordingly, it is a basic formula that converts MSCP by multiplying by MSCP * 4 * pi to = Lumens.

The Minimag OEM lamp draws 0.30 Amps. The Nextstar lamp draws 0.45 amps, and the high output RadioShack lamp draws 0.43 Amps. The MiniMag and RadioShack lamps are not Halogen. The W/A lamp is Halogen Xenon. The light output of the W/A lamps should be greater with more than three times the current of the OEM lamp and more than double the commonly used higher output lamps.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just verified on the Brinkmann web site that the Legend 3AA does take the same form bulb as the 2AA. The W/A 104 lumen halogen bulb should fit.

This combination would be a poor man's skinnier, longer, 5% dimmer, refocusable 8XX. As mentioned, 1800 mAh NiMhs should give the 3AA a good hour of run time on the 1.6 V lamp which exceeds the 8XX run time.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lemlux,

interesting finds

But the 01121 doesn´t show up on any search I do - hmmh - what do you use for the search - the T1 1/2 base ?

Klaus

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus:

See the top post. Download ...'the "Wire Terminal Lamps Types" PDF from this page: http://www.walamp.com/tech.asp

See also another lamp #01080 rated at 2.8V, .85 A, 2.63 MSCP = 32 lumen. Do you think that 2 lithium AA's could deliver 1.4 V each at .85 A or would the voltage drop be greater. This could be a nice tuck-away Minimag that should deliver 3 1/2 hours of run time.

The color temperature on all of these bulbs range nicely between 3250 to 3315 as well.

Does anybody care to venture a guess as to how well a Brinkmann 3AA reflector would stand up to 5.9 Watts. I don't know what the 3AA reflector is made out of, but for $19 I would hope it's aluminum.

Edit: I looked at Energizer's graphs on the L91 Lithium AA. I don't think I'd run these batteries with a drain > 0.85 A. At .85 A I'd use a bulb designed for about 1.30 per cell and at 0.70 A I'd use a bulb designed for about 1.35 V per cell.

Thus, with the MiniMa0g 2AA and lithiums I'd use bulb #01098 rated at 2.6 V 0.85 A 1.63 MSCP = 20 Lumen. This may not enough be additional light to change from overdriving the RadioShack 0.43 A bulbs I currently have.

I'd probably only get the 2.4 V 1.10 A bulb for rechargeables for the Mag 2AA. I'd store the light with slightly used Lithiums, but plan on using it with rechargeables.

ake

Newly Enlightened
How much is it? I couldn't find the price.
Is it possible to pool the order? If it's not too expensive, I wanna try a few of them.

Ake

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
AKE:

I haven't asked yet, but W/A's T-2 1/4 lamps sell for $7.50 @ with a $100 minimum.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought that the W/A min order is a thing of the past, i could be wrong it's happened before and it will happen again
grin.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josh:

Carley's $50 minimum order is a thing of the past. As of last week, W/A said their $100 minimum order continues. They may have meant phone order minimum. It is conceivable that the $7.50 per bulb internet order doesn't have a minimum. I didn't actually try to order yet.