Fenix P1 CE or P1D-CE

fcb-hostis

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

i wonder whether anyone of you already had the chance to test the new Fenix P1 Cree.
Even if not i hope you can help me to decide which flashlight is the best option as an edc on my keychain. The P1D-CE would cost me about 60% more than the upcoming P1 CE (cpf discount and taxes included).

thx a lot!

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
what would you prefer? 1 mode of operation, or ability to customize your light to your task. Do you need 90 lumens to read a map?

Bolek

Enlightened
I'll take the P1 CE for it's energy efficiency and it's ability to take protected rechargable cells. It's not my only light so I can read a mape with another one.

carrot

Flashaholic
How about an L0D-CE?

The P1D-CE is far too big for a keychain IMO... and the P1 is fairly large but quite acceptable on a keychain.

savumaki

Enlightened
I carried the L1P and switched to the P1 for size and brightness; I have two of the P1 CE on preorder.
Great size for a pocket/keyring light with lots of lumens; at least enough for 90-95% of my daily usage. When I need more light I usually have sufficient warning to haul out the light req'd for the task.

My current set-up has the P1 on a split ring attached to a Fallkniven U2 pocket knife.

Regarding variable lights; my thoughts are that if you quickly need light, ie, a pocket/keychain light,-the lack of variabliity is not very important (to me).
Come to think of it I only own ONE variable light (2 level mod on an E2 w PR-T head.)

All this new science gives me a headache when all I wanted was a flashlight.:whistle:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an L0D-CE?

The P1D-CE is far too big for a keychain IMO... and the P1 is fairly large but quite acceptable on a keychain.

Yep. Any CR123 cell light will be far too large in diameter to carry on a keychain (IMO). I would stick with a AAA sized light like the LOD-CE.

Confederate

Enlightened
P2D Also a GREAT Option!

The P1D-CE is just too expensive for what you get. I'd prefer the P2D-CE for the extra modes. Just recently we had a power outage and the P2D was wonderful. Kicking that flashlight into the lowest setting I was able to continue reading my books, magazines, and catalogs with no trouble. And on that setting you can read, even zip around the house. Then, if something goes *CRASH* outside, you can put on a raincoat and crank it into HIGH, TURBO or STROBE and go out in the pouring rain and wind.

The P1D performs well (what Fenix doesn't?), but someone really messed up with the pricing of that little light. The size difference is just a few fractions of an inch and the P2D has a clicky switch in the back, which gives it a self defense function.

The P2D is the closest thing to a PERFECT personal light and the P3D is right on its tail. Wow!

fluke

Enlightened
Hmm I'm thinking of selling my 2 week old P1D CE as it is a bit bulky :thinking:

fcb-hostis

Newly Enlightened
Re: P2D Also a GREAT Option!

Hmm I'm thinking of selling my 2 week old P1D CE as it is a bit bulky :thinking:
you mean too bulky to put it on a bunch of keys?

The P1D-CE is just too expensive for what you get. I'd prefer the P2D-CE for the extra modes.

The P2D-CE was my first choice aswell but then it came to my mind that i could use the smaller P1X as an EDC on my Key. The P2D-CE would stay at home 99% of the time...

The new P1 CE is quite cheap and a bit smaller than the P1D-CE but the fact that is has just one mode, no clickie (would be acceptable)
and a lower light output (90 vs. 135 Lumen) makes it very hard for me to decide which one i schould buy.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well regarding the P1 CE and P1D ce, you get extra modes with the D CE range. Why settle for a P1 CE with only 1 mode?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally I'd go for the P1D-CE. The reason is quite simple - it's about being able to dim the light. Sure, 90 lumens is great a lot of the time especially if you are caught outside needing a light. But it's too much indoors if you want to read without ceiling bounce or if you need a very long running time during a power outage!

The P1D-CE is not much larger and will allow you to cycle it into a low mode if needed - it begins on the medium mode which should satisfy most of your needs. Then ofcourse, you have the insane high mode...

I have tried carrying the P1D-CE on my keyring. It seems to fit there comfortably most of the time - it only gets annoying at work (tighter trousers). But in that situation I clip it to a belt loop...

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally I'd go for the P1D-CE. The reason is quite simple - it's about being able to dim the light. Sure, 90 lumens is great a lot of the time especially if you are caught outside needing a light. But it's too much indoors if you want to read without ceiling bounce or if you need a very long running time during a power outage!

The P1D-CE is not much larger and will allow you to cycle it into a low mode if needed - it begins on the medium mode which should satisfy most of your needs. Then ofcourse, you have the insane high mode...

I have tried carrying the P1D-CE on my keyring. It seems to fit there comfortably most of the time - it only gets annoying at work (tighter trousers). But in that situation I clip it to a belt loop...

^^ lol what he said, i could not have said it better

soffiler

Enlightened
Yep. Any CR123 cell light will be far too large in diameter to carry on a keychain (IMO). I would stick with a AAA sized light like the LOD-CE.

It's a matter of personal preference, as adirondack's "IMO" clearly indicates. In my opinion, it's not about the diameter; the P1D-CE or any CR123 light is actually too heavy to be dangling from your car's ignition. It will actually wear your car key and the ignition lock cylinder prematurely, believe it or not. On the other hand, I keep my P1D-CE on a split ring with a small CRKT PECK (a minimalist knife w/ 1.5" blade) and a Swisstech Utili-key (a key-sized and key-shaped tool w/ blade, Philips, two slotted, and bottle opener). This rides very comfortably in my front left pocket and is definitely my EDC. No comfort problems whatsoever.

LightScene

Enlightened
I have a P1D-CE and it's not too big to fit in my front pocket for edc (I don't wear jeans). I use it exclusively with RCR123's, so it only has 1 mode anyway. If you need to read something you can use the fill part of the beam rather than the hotspot. The extreme brightness is not a problem for me.

I'm thinking of getting the P1-CE to replace it since it's cheaper and smaller. I think you're on the right track.

soffiler

Enlightened
I honestly don't see anyone that would want both. They fit two different sets of needs. P1 is for the simpler-is-better crowd. One level (pretty high at 90lm claimed) is considered sufficient for their needs and the corresponding runtime you get (1:45 to 50%) at that level is also considered sufficient by these people. The P1D-CE is for the crowd that wants more features, with Med-Hi-Lo-Strobe-SOS available. P1D-CE people are the opposite of simpler-is-better; the need to twist the head multiple times to get to a particular mode is considered acceptable, where it wouldn't be acceptable to the simpler-is-better people. P1D-CE people want more features and are willing to pay a premium to get them. The two things these people have in common are they are 1xCR123A fans and they are twisty fans.

Personally, I like my P1D-CE because the low setting is actually plenty of light for the vast majority of my needs... in fact, I often wish low came on first. I'd probably use low 90+% of the time if it came on first.