Advice on Fenix L1P

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
I'm about to take apart a Fenix L1P to clean various parts. I need some advice for taking it apart.

The Circuitry + Emitter Block
-What's the best way to unscrew it out of the head? (If it's even possible because it might be glued in, don't wanna mess with it if it's glued in)
-Is there anything i should be concerned about? (Such as trying to not short out the circuit somehow)
-When i screw it back into the head, should i not screw it in too tight?

The Tailcap + Rubber Switch
-What's the best way to unscrew the clicky setup?

Thanks

mchlwise

Enlightened
Not sure about the head side of things.

For the tail, the clicky switch is held in with a retaining ring which has two dimples in it. To unscrew it, you need some kind of a tool. Usually needlenose pliers will work if they are sharp enough to go into the holes. You can also use sharp pointed scissors. I personally use some jewelry pliers that have tapered rounded ends that fit very nicely.

When you find something that fits, simply unscrew the retaining ring, and everything else falls out.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Most of the heads are glued. If you search posts you'll find an awful lot of damage in the process although many have successfully opened the head.
Boiling seems to be the method most tried. Water to boil, turn off heat, immerse head in freezer baggie and let it soak for 5 minutes. Reflectors are plastic so they can be damaged with too much or too long heat.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think Fenix uses metal reflectors and glass lenses so heat should not damage them. And if i remember correctly, Fenix L1Ps don't have their regulators glued in. You should not screw the reflector back in too tight and do not touch the inner surface of the window, it should have a anti-reflective coating that will be damaged with any kind of pressure. If there is dust, blow it off, do not try to clean with a cloth or any other thing.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
lol you know what... the head part seem slike too delicate of a procedure for me... maybe i'll just take apart the tailcap and that's it

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
ok i just took apart the tailcap, cleaned it and replaced the switch cover thanks for your advice guys. As for the head... i tried to use a small flat screw driver that has a dull tip and tried to unscrew the insides, but it wouldn't budge. I didn't use too much force because id idn't wanna slip and then knock into the back of the circuitry which would probably destroy my light. I've had many bad past experiences where i'd be messing around with circuity and ruin my brand new toy.

P.S.- The reason why i wanted to take apart the head was to get at the reflector. It has a few small smudges on it that are bothering the crap outta me.

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the L1P first came out, I purchased one for myself and one for a friend. Recently, I decided to try to upgrade them with seoul P4's so I asked my friend for her's back. I went to take mine apart and it wouldn't budge. Went to take hers apart and it came apart with barely any effort. Then I made the mistake of telling her that hers came apart easily. I should have just switched them and said that hers wasn't going to get upgraded (it was my idea anyways). :banghead: :laughing:

So now I have a whole bunch of vicegrip marks on MY L1P and a module that is only a few turns loose. But I WILL get it... :crazy:

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
P.S.- The reason why i wanted to take apart the head was to get at the reflector. It has a few small smudges on it that are bothering the crap outta me.

Reflectors can be difficult to clean, anyway. In an attempt to clean one, you may wind up just doing more damage to reflector.