Nuwai X-3 Runs for 4+ hours

MagLED II

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

On flashlight reviews the X 3 is reviewed here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

The light is given a run time of 1:30 hours.

I bought a re-branded version of this light at K-mart. It is a Highbeam by RAYOVAC.

the light is basically the same except for the run time. I got 4+ hours of bright light on 2x 2100 NIMH batteries. It appears that the regulation circuit has been vastly improved. The light was $28 and is well built.

This light has a much better run time now. I just wanted to share with the community.

thanks for reading

Pistolero

Enlightened
Whoa, nice. I have that light. While it's the same design, I don't think it has the same output as the x-3. How hot did yours get?

I have the River Rock 2AA camo version of that light. Comparing the two, the RR is a good deal brighter than the Rayovac one. But my Rayovac light seemed to have a more natural (yellow) beam. It's a great light and I think I got it on sale for $20 at my kmart.

Incidently, that 2AA River Rock (Nuwai X-3) got restocked at my local Target. I think it runs under $30. Was kinda surprised that it showed up again.

MagLED II

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

My light did not get too hot. the beam is very white. I think Rayovac wanted longer run times with alkaline batteries so the output was reduced a bit.

the light costs $28 bucks. I like it alot. I will Take the longer runtime.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, my X-3 is the original nuwai model and indeed only lasts about 1.5 hours. I'd like to have one of these newer revisions!

MorePower

Enlightened
Did you get the 1-Watt or the 3-Watt version of the ROV Highbeam? The lights appear identical, except for how hard the LED is driven, with a corresponding reduced runtime for the 3-Watt.

When I tested the ROV 3W Highbeam, the runtime with 2100mAh Nimh cells was ~1:45. If the light gets too hot, some sort of thermal protection kicks in and output is reduced, with a corresponding increase in runtime. I got 4 hours when under thermal "shutdown."

LED4evr

Newly Enlightened
I have the 3W also and its around an hour and a half. I bought the 1W for my stepdad and wondered what the runtime might be for that one. Could you have the 1W?

Burgess

Flashaholic
At first glance, my thought was that he had the 1-Watt version.

But (at my Kmart, anyway), the 1-Watt is $20, and the 3-Watt is $30.

So i'm a bit corn-fused . . . .:)

MorePower

Enlightened
I have the 3W also and its around an hour and a half. I bought the 1W for my stepdad and wondered what the runtime might be for that one. Could you have the 1W?

Continuous runtime for the 1W ROV light is about 6 hours to 50% initial, either with alkaline cells or with 2100mAh ROV Hybrid Nimh cells. Useful light is still produced at 7.5 hours using alkalines (~30% of initial output).

I also did a runtime with the 3W ROV light using 2400mAh Nimh cells and got just under 2 hours (1:59, actually) to 50% output. The 3W shuts down rather abruptly at the end, pretty much from full on to absolutely nothing.

I'm eagerly waiting for the 3C, 4.5W Cree light that they'll start selling shortly. Probably direct drive + a resistor, but likely less than $30.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gee, your Kmart charges 28 bucks for the 1-Watt version ?

It's only $19.99 at mine.

How much do they charge for the 3-Watt'er ?

(mine charges $29.99)

Strange . . . . i kinda' thought prices would be similar Coast-to-Coast.

Guess not. :candle:

BTW, i find my 1-Watt version even more useful than the 3-Watt.
Both of 'em are fine lights.

:twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just picked up the re-branded Rayovac version at my local K-Mart this past Thursday. Living in NYC, I paid a bit more for it than you did.

I hate it when runtimes aren't provided for lights.... Thanks for making this thread. I appreciate it. :twothumbs

Edit: Darn, just saw that the runtime is for the 1watt version. I bought the 3watt version. Oh well, I still appreciate the thread.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Monocrom --

If it helps, my Nuwai X-3 (3-Watt) runs (very nicely regulated)
for 100+ minutes continuously,
on Duracell 2650 NiMH cells, a week off the charger.

Gotta' love these guilt-free Lumens !

Monocrom

Flashaholic
to Monocrom --

If it helps, my Nuwai X-3 (3-Watt) runs (very nicely regulated)
for 100+ minutes continuously,
on Duracell 2650 NiMH cells, a week off the charger.

Gotta' love these guilt-free Lumens !

Hey, thanks for the info. :)
At least now I know what to expect from my light.