Night Ize IQ Switch use with Terralux 5EX Minimag Upgrade

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used these with their minimag lights?I just installed the Terralux TLE-5EX LED upgrade and am wondering if this switch is compatible with this upgrade or just works with the standard 6 lumen Mini Mag Light bulb.Thanx for any feedback:)-Gearhead

Marduke

Flashaholic
It works for any bulb. However, many people claim that even on full power, the IQ switch limits the maximum output of what the bulb would produce without the IQ switch installed. I don't notice a difference with the 3led NiteIze, but the terralux draws much more power, and the IQ switch seems to have a maximum limit as to how much power it will allow through. It's handy to have the multiple options, and it works well with some versions (I love it with my 3led niteize drop-in), but be prepared to take it back if it doesn't work well with your setup.

Check this thread about halfway down for more information about the IQ switch:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/167148

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how it works with the Terralux, but it works very well with the Nite-Ize 3LED or 1W drop in.

I think the IQ switch with the 1w drop-in is an excellent upgrade to a Minimag.
I know it isn't a Cree, but the IQ switch works great, and the 1w makes plenty of light.
The cost is about $8 for a Minimag, and about $20 for the IQ switch /1w Luxeon combo.
Seems like a lot, but you get a switch with a "find me" flasher, multiple light outputs, "bright enough" beam, a very pretty beam, and a familiar form-factor. I would guess that runtime should be good, and the Mag is a tough little light.

What is not to like?

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Dear Matt and others-Appreciate the detailed reply!Since I really need the full power output on my minimag,I guess that I will pass on the switch.I can see how the lens can twist off and be lost,since it needs to be in the on position to work and the Terralux drop in uses less threads than the conventional minimag bulb setup-Gearhead

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TerraLUX offers a fairly good clicky switch that seems to work well and doesn't reduce output - and they're like $4 FWIW.