Upgrading the Pelican 2390 (Cree, Seoul drop in?)

Wildsau

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

sorry if this has already been covered, I tried to use the search function for this but I always get error messages like this "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/candlepowerforums.com/httpdocs/vb/includes/class_core.php on line 722"

About a year ago I bought a Pelican M6 2390 (?, the 3W Luxeon), because of the HA3 annodizing and because it was recommended as one of THE lights to own.
Last week, during a pretty decent thunderstorm, we had a blackout, so I got my Pelican, my wife got the Streamlight Tasklight 2L I bought her... and the following I couldn't believe: Though I had a fresh set of Battery Station CR123a's in mine HERS WAS BRIGHTER!!!

Well, being emasculated that way my first thought was "CPF - I need more power!"

Now I read something about cree and ssc-emitters, but since the search function always gives me error messages when I search for combinations that include words like Cree, Luxeon, ... I just don't know if it's possible to pimp my Pelican that way.

I don't want a new flashlight, I really like the Pelican, so my questions are:

- Is ist possible to upgrade the Pelican with a Cree/ Seoul emitter or a drop in module?
- can the reflector assembly be opened or is it sealed/ glued in any way?
- what would you recommend? A Cree or a Seoul solution (btw, in short words, what's the difference?)

Please, help me bringing back my masculinity so that I'll be more enlighted than my wife :D

Thank's!

not2bright

Enlightened
Wildsau,

I don't think you are the first to want an upgrade for your 2390.

I also have a 2390. It's a nice light and is plenty bright with a nice beam profile.

The reflector/LED module in the 2390 is sealed, which makes it difficult to get the Lux III out and a Cree in.

I think some members were contacting Pelican hoping for a Cree solution/upgrade for the 2390. Some searching should bring that up.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Cree won't work very well at all in a Luxeon based light. A Seoul P4 is a much better upgrade, because of the similar emission angles of the Luxeon and Seoul. (I'll try to find the thread.)

Pelican is coming out with a Cree-based light: the 7060 LAPD.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that you can put a Seoul in there but not a Cree, if it's anything like the current M1.

IMG_0896.jpg