Big-Box Store Flashlights - Can't resist, how about you?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to these two, there were some Stanley-type tripod lights. B.J.'s wholesale club. Today was the last day of my membership, we might be trying out Costco or Sam's soon.

For $15 each, they are fun to play around with for a few minutes. After that, mod them or give as presents to relatives or workmates.

I have a few dark closets, and I look forward to trying out these PUCK lights.

As for the Garrity lights, they put out a generous amount of very white light. I was surprised the light isn't blue or purple.

IMG_0944a.jpg

IMG_0944b.jpg

What kind of big-box lights have you tried? How did they work out?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll be interested in hearing about the Puck lights. I've been tempted by them a few times already during trips to BJ's. Thanks for taking the plunge first.

Geoff

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Dorcy 4xAA tap-dome light for $5. I bought it to mod with glow-paint but I like the nice white incandescent color so much I decided to leave it alone.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be interested in hearing about the Puck lights. I've been tempted by them a few times already during trips to BJ's. Thanks for taking the plunge first.

Geoff

I pulled one out of the package, and so far I'm pleased. The light is very white and the auto on/off feature really works.

A big velcro pancake is provided, and so is a screw and slotted hole for mounting.

I am probably putting 5 Lux III emitters in to get a big flood of light instead of the directed light it currently provides.

I will certainly come back with more details.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't resist the RiverRock 1AA reflector light ($20 at Target) and Gerber Tempo ($10 at REI). They are both decent lights but I think the more expesive Fenix equivelents are better values. I wish I could open the RR to mod it. But it seems glued very tight.

Both will be given as gifts at some point.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In addition to these two, there were some Stanley-type tripod lights. B.J.'s wholesale club. Today was the last day of my membership, we might be trying out Costco or Sam's soon.

Well, if you get a membership at Costco, you can buy their 2AA lights that got an excellent review.

Link - http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/costco_luxeon2aa.htm

Personally, I don't like the idea of having to pay just to be able to walk in the door. Sure, you might save some money in the long run. But I just like being able to walk in, buy what I want, (hopefully it'll be on sale) and walking out without giving away personal info just to save a few bucks.

Sarratt

Enlightened
It wasn't a "big box" store but I bought 3 sets of really crappy lights

Oh wait I bought another crap light

Oh wait .... i spend money like its sand

ps,,, I did that but I finally realized that 100$ for one light is worth more than 10 x 10 cheap ones

carrot

Flashaholic
I've never seen a Costco 2AA light. I have seen (and bought) the 15MCP Thor and their AA batteries are an incredible steal -- great performance at excellent prices.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you get a membership at Costco, you can buy their 2AA lights that got an excellent review.

Link - http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/costco_luxeon2aa.htm

Personally, I don't like the idea of having to pay just to be able to walk in the door. Sure, you might save some money in the long run. But I just like being able to walk in, buy what I want, (hopefully it'll be on sale) and walking out without giving away personal info just to save a few bucks.

Cool! I'll have a friend take me into a Costco and let them buy it for me.:nana:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Cool! I'll have a friend take me into a Costco and let them buy it for me.:nana:

Wish I had a friend with a Costco membership.... Happy as Hell that I can always walk into Target without a membership card.

Wish those Costco 2AA lights were available at other places. I guess Costco has the exclusive contract on them.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like those little Garrity LED lights, I may have to pick up a pack of them and stash them in the house and cars - after changing the LEDs' out for Nichias', TH3Cs, or SnowLEDs'.