Now I see the light, or the dog in the light

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I was visiting family in rural, central Wisconsin this past weekend and we eventually walked their dogs in the evening along a darkened road; 2 White German Shepherds and a brown lab, pitt-bull, husky mix. I volunteered to bring some lights along to illuminate the roadside and the dogs so we could keep track of the animals. I used my older Princeton Tec Surge (xenon) and a Streamlight Propoly Lux 3C.

Now I finally get all the talk about how things look different when comparing LED's and incans. When I shined the Surge on the brown pooch he really looked brown. When I used the Propoly on him he seemed almost COLORLESS! I kept flicking to and fro. The 2 white shepherds were white either way.

Now, when the arguments about color rendition pop up again I'll have my own frame of reference.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I find that LEDs make wood look gray and old while Incans show the wood to be brown, like it should be. I found out that if I added a brown lens(sunglasses) to the front of a LED flashlight makes it render color a lot better, at the cost of a lot of output.

The only thing I don't like about Incans(besides replacing bulbs) is that they make green stuff or any color with a shorter wavelength look more yellow/red then they should be. They work great with any color with a longer wavelength.

I wonder how a Warm White LED compares to a Incandescent bulb.