first time and question

hvacman

Newly Enlightened
This is my first time posting but a long time reader of this great board, I have a question I'm looking for a light for under a 100.00 something that's durable.bright and small not looking for a 123 battery light can get expensive,I have a few lights already just looking for better I will list what I have.
2d mag with drop in led
3dmag with led
mini mag 3 watt
mini mag 3 led
mag charger
streamlite strion
polystinger
3c xp
river rock 3aaa I think that's what it takes
fenix l1t
and a couple of cheaper lights
Thanks for any help in advance

the servents of twilight

Newly Enlightened
Fenix lights are very nice, are in your price range, and there are ones that take AA and AAA batteries. Get something with a cree LED.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I see any headlamps in your list... I would suggest looking at getting a nice one. You don't realize how handy they are until you use one under the sink vs the three hands you need to hold tools and a hand held light.

The new regulated/variable output ones look nice. A headlamp does not need to be bright for ordinary use.

-Bill

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Would a Lumapower M3 work? It's not the smallest AA light but you get lots of options(2AA, 1AA, 1 CR123, Turbohead), and it seems like a tough light. Or would the Fenix L1/2D-CE or P2D-CE suit you more(they have interchangeable battery tubes so you can run 1AA, 2AA, or 1 CR123. They also have many modes, that might be good or bad depending on what you need the light for). Lumapower M3 Review, Fenix L1/2D-CE review, P2D-CE review.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I agree with BB. A headlamp does a great job of freeing up you hands. I've got a Tikka XP which has spot and flood.

molite

Newly Enlightened
Hvacman,
Welcome!!!!!
If you want an every day carry (EDC) for poking around in the attic then a Fenix led is the way to go or a head lamp both recommendations from above are excellent.
If your looking to go to the next level, (more than 300 lumens) you'll be needing an Ican,
And the term "small" is relative. Building a rechargeable lithium ROP out of a 2C mag is a great light. Or if you want "turn key", bright, entry level torch, which you can afford to ding up many of us like the ultra-fire WF500, it's impressive for the money. Direct from china (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1317) with batteries charger and spare bulb around $60.00.
To get better advice from us let us know how many lumens you want or the task you are using it for. A 500 lumen light shone at your feet on a trail will trash your night vision, but is great for searching your yard for noises.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would reconsider your options and look into lights that can use RCR123, 18650, 17670 rechargeable batteries.
1- You will save money in the long run
2- More options of what you can choose from
3- 18650 batteries will give you long runtime

I never thought about rechargeable batteries before, but that is all I own and use now.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also suggest that you look at Fenix lights as well. They are excellent lights.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix lights are a great first hit on your road to flashaholicalism. If you can streatch the budget a bit then the new SF E1L would also be a great choice and with a huge run time your fear of the relative expense of primary 123s should be put to rest.

hvacman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies, I will be adding another fenix to my collection shortly I'm thinking the l2dce it looks like a nice light with plenty of power.I looking for something different as my name says it I do hvac for a living, I have a head light it's a dorcy 3watt which works pretty well for me. The lights that you guys have listed look great and I will check them out, this is a newbie question is there a thing such as rechargeable 123's?
Thanks again

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
hvacman, welcome to CPF.
I dont see any surefire in your lineup. You should try one. Although they are running CR123 type batteries, rechargeable are available as an option. I recommend the G2+Led Drop in+17670+charger which falls into your <$100 budget. Another excellent surefire in my books is the L5. Its a bit dearer and using a LuxeonV, it has the best output pattern I have seen, which btw can be made to use the 17670 rechargeable.
I did own a Fenix P3D once recently. Although it pumps out a lot of lumens, and cheaper than surefires, I still prefer the L5 output IMO.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome in CPF!:wave:

if you want a new light you can go for surefire on li-ion, fenix, or also for a NOVATAC ( it's a led light, use 1 CR123 -rechargable if you want- a little bit over 100$ but a perfect EDC light)

if you want to mod a light I suggest ROP or mag85 (definitely bright:D)...