What is the next logical jump from a U2?

jboydjr

Newly Enlightened
Just back from a night-time walk, and was thinking...I already have a torch that has a run-time from 1-40 hours with six brightness levels up to a max of 100 l. I have been obsessing about getting yet another torch and really, the only justification I would have would be if I could find something relatively the same size that I could E.D.C. (or even just have for a B.O.B) that would give me a jump on run time and lumens. I could get a 120 lumen torch, but is an extra 20 lumens really considered a jump. Or...should I consider going to HID. I have been searching the forums and dealer sites, and am very confused. My needs for a torch are simply that a) I consider them a work of art (you flashaholics will understand), and b) I really have a rational or irrational need to have something that will see me through a blackout or bail out.
I hesitate to post this, because it sounds a little, well, je ne sais pas. Can't think of a good english phrase or word...(maybe goofy would work). Be nice.

Jim

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
The problem is that the U2 is still state of the art. Cree based units promise to take us to the next level but none so far are more than an incremental improvement over the Lux V in the U2. Yes - I know run time and efficiency are much better - but output is not 'the next level'. For me the next milestone will be 200 lumens, basically 2x the U2. Maybe HDS/Novatac will come out with something to rival the U2 but the news so far is all arounf 120 lumen - once again just a small improvement.

The U2 is more than just output, it is about the UI and the beam. Mine has a small donut but it only bothers me when wall hunting not outdoors. I think you may be like me, the U2 has spoiled me for less lights. I held out until recently on the U2 due to the hope that a Cree version would appear, but alas it looks like that is still months away.

I have considered HID but they are a one trick pony, throw and do not have the utility of the U2. They are also single level ( very bright ), you may be able to replace an M6 or ROP with one for 'search' purposes but it can never be your main light, IMHO.

Maybe we should hope for a revised Lux V from Lumileds ?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spy005. All the functionality at less than half the size. Good luck finding one though. I know of at least one chromie that will be selling once the updated board is available. :naughty: This would definitely meet your "art" requirement, but too nice for a BOB.

The Novatac 120P will provide similar brightness and levels for your bugout bag requirement.