How is the color in the newer KL1's?

Gandalf

Enlightened
How is the color in the newer KL1\'s?

I bought one of the early KL1's, number A00250. It's very bright, and I use it as my EDC, but the violet color has alwas been a minor annoyance. Pretty minor, but it's still there. Since I only own *one* KL1, I could likely justify (to myself....) getting another one, if the color was nicer. I'd like a nice white, likely with a little of the inevetible blue in it. What are my chances?

I have an Arc-sLS which has a much better color beam, but I've grown fond of carrying my E1-HA + KL1, due to it's longer burn time, momentary tailswich, which never turns on accidently, and higher output.

Anybody have a bunch of the KL1's? Or recently bought one? How has the color been lately? If you have several nice ones, would you part with one?

I know it's always a bit of a crap shoot buying a Luxeon Star LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif But if the KL1's, which were very violet in the first batch, as many people noted here, are getting, or have gotten more white/blue, I might decide to get another one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif TIA.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How is the color in the newer KL1\'s?

I've got 3 KL1s, the most recent being only about a month ago; the second being late November, and the 2nd one was just as violet as the first... I haven't opened the 3rd one yet (still in virgin package /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif), but I'm pretty sure it's violet as well...

mhejl

Newly Enlightened

Bought one a week ago. Serial # is in the mid thousands (can't recall right now). It sucks. Very purple, ringy, and a deep purple pinhole "satellite" hot spot.

I much prefer my pea green LS; the KL1 was a waste of money, IMHO. I'm considering tearing it apart and replacing the Luxeon.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bought 2 weeks ago, got a very nice color /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. The color is purplish but barely noticable for daily use. Very nice, no rings, the center is purplish white with whitish outers. Pretty good deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Alan Hsu

Enlightened

My KL1 is A00706. But I find my new L1 much more purple than the KL1.

Kiu

Enlightened

my KL1 no is 3626
oh, it's bluish at center spot, and very pea green all the other region... my X5T give a much pretty colour compare with it...my KL1 is not a white, it is a green LED
u know i really want a LSH-p now?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

battman

Newly Enlightened

My KL1 is 3776. The color also leans towards <font color="purple">violet.</font> But I am very happy with it. I compared it to my friends BB500 last night. My KL1 had a brighter, broader beam. The badboy was bluer, mine was more violet. He claimed his batts were low, so we'll compare again soon. I believe the KL1 will win even against his fresh batts, but with luxeons I think its really the luck of the draw.

WaltH

Enlightened

I agree with the "luck of the draw" statement. I have a KL1 which is very blue/violet. My L1 is much whiter. I find them both very useful in the real world. It's only when comparing side by side on a white wall that one looks better than the other. If I could only have one it would be the L1...even if it were the one with the blue/violet beam.

llvo

Enlightened

My new KL1 A01253 gives me a pea green light with smaller blue hotspot comparing to my violet KL3.

IMHO, the greener KL1 looks brighter than the KL3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two KL1's and Three KL3's have passed through my hands.

All three KL3's have been equally very purple. The 2 KL1's that both arrived on the same day were each less purple, and one was closer to light blue than the other.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Before I ended up at the nursing home, I got to review the KL1, KL2, and KL3. Both the KL1 and KL3 had a nice bluish-white color, though the KL1 had a slightly more violetish tinge to its light than the KL3. I don't know if more recent versions of the KL1 are more or less violet than my test unit, as I have not seen them.

JohnG

Enlightened

The new E2e - KL1 I just got is very nice. A slight bluish center and greenish corona, but overall much whiter than the one I bought when they first came out which was quite violet.
The anodizing color match is very much improved too.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have three KL1s. The first one I purchased was numbered in the high 700s, and provided a very nice, bright, white light. The two newer KL1s, which were surprisingly numbered in the 400s, were very green (to me), and seemed less bright. I wonder if the two "newer" 400 series lamps were "returns." SF has said that they will exchange the green heads.

Dreck

Newly Enlightened

I just received one from a fellow CPF'er A01519 and the beam is almost identical to my LS1. Generally white with a slightly bluish hot spot.( now all I need is a E2 HA body to go with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif)