what would be an upgrade over my AAA-P?

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been paying much attention to the flashlight world lately, just too many other other hobbies. Right now I carry an Arc AAA-P and an Inova Microlight on my keychain. I'm just wondering if there's something significantly better out there as a replacement for either one? I want to limit it to keychain lights, but I'm in the mood for something cooler than what I have now.

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LOD-CE for multi level AAA type. Or P1D for multi level CR123 type. Both are small enough for a key chain light, and the LOD can run on 10440's if you want something really bright.

I personally EDC my P3D on my belt, and keep a LOD-CE on my keys with an alkaline for when I need something not so bright. I don't want to blind my self while looking for the key hole.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say go for the Liteflux LF2, especially if you plan to run on 10440. You can see a comparison though between it and the L0D-CE (link in my signature). The biggest reason I like it is that the light is user-programmable two-stage twisty. The light is off when the head is tight. Untwist 1/4 turn for low level (I have programmed mine to be very low, lower than many 5mm LED lights) and 1/2 turn for high level (with 10440, about 100 lumens out the front). There are tons of other features as well, including low battery warning and a voltmeter that will "blink" the battery voltage under load.

Last edited:

txmatt

Enlightened
Do you want it to be another AAA light?

How will you carry it (clip, pocket, coin pocket of jeans, ...)?

The Fenix L0D CE, Liteflux LF2, and Jetbeam Jet-u are the current hot AAA lights. All have their advantages and disadvantages. The Jetbeam is closest to the Arc size but sound like it's driver circuitry is not very efficient with standard AAA's (better with 10440). The Fenix was the first Cree AAA available and is pretty vesatile. The Liteflux is user programmable but I think the longest of the 3.

There's also the Draco which is expensive and uses non-standard batteries but very nice by all accounts.

There's also a long waiting list for Millermods Arc conversions (Arc AAAp body with Cree LED installed.)

The reason I mention size is because an Arc AAA will fit all the way down in the coin pocket of my jeans (32 waist Levis). The Jetbeam might do the same but I don't have one. The L0D CE will not fit down in that pocket and has to stand up. The Liteflux might even poke out of that pocket. So if you like the Arc size, be aware that these others may be marginally bigger.

As AAA lights go, I still love the Arc AAA design but the performance of the new AAA Cree lights is pretty remarkable.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info txmatt. About the length of the LF2...the SSC version is 3mm shorter than the Cree version, which puts it barely longer than the LOD-CE. But when you consider that the LF2 is off when the head is tightened, and the head of the LOD-CE has to be a turn or so unscrewed for pocket carry, then they're pretty much identical in length (the SSC version of the LF2).

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD CE is extremely bright even with standard NimH/Alkaline AAAs. If you do decide on going the Fenix route, note that it doesn't come with the lobster claw clip (must be ordered separately), only a mini keyring and pen-style pocket clip attachment. Ordering the claw as well will bump up the cost a few bucks.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD CE is extremely bright even with standard NimH/Alkaline AAAs. If you do decide on going the Fenix route, note that it doesn't come with the lobster claw clip (must be ordered separately), only a mini keyring and pen-style pocket clip attachment. Ordering the claw as well will bump up the cost a few bucks.
Though all the lights are about equally bright on standard 1.5V cells, Fenix has the most efficient driver for use with standard AAA cells it consistently gives longer runtimes than the competitors for the same overall output. The only drawback is that it has the lowest PWM frequency of all the AAA lights (100Hz, compared to 300Hz for the Jet-u, and over 8000Hz for the LF2), so flickering will be noticeable when looking at moving objects in the "low" mode.

wmirag

Enlightened
CR2 Ion. 2 levels and bullet proof. I always have an ARC AAA-P and or CR2 Ion with me as EDC lights.

The CR2 Ion is a fantastic upgrade for the classic Arc AAA-P.

The size/output/runtime is fantastic: 20-40 hours regulated on low, 1+ hour on high. And high is really high.

The original is pure flood while the recent LED upgrade has a pretty good warm spot and is way brighter than the original.

The bezel twist is much easier to use than tail twists like the Jil.

It really IS a keychain light. I never leave home without mine.

W.

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I think I want to stick with a AAA (or possibly AA) keychain light.

The Fenix L0D CE looks pretty cool, I hadn't seen that before.