L1 Cree Runtime Question

StinkyButler

Newly Enlightened
Perusing the Surefire website and 2007 catalog, I'm wondering why the runtime for the L1 on low mode isn't longer. The E1L, which runs on 1 CR123A battery just like the L1, outputs 30 lumens for 17 hours, but the L1 only puts out 10 lumens for 16 hours on low. Shouldn't the runtime be closer to 24+ hours? The Fenix P2D is advertised at 9 lumens for 30 hours, as well. I know their lumen figures are "optimistic" and the numbers from Surefire are more conservative, but shouldn't the L1 low setting run for at least 50% longer than advertised, or at least longer than the E1L?

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
We might be pleasantly surprised. SF seems to seriously underquote some of their low-range runtimes, so until somebody tests it, guess we are, ahem, in the dark.

For example, I just checked the packaging on my second-generation L1 (Luxeon III) and it says "over 20 hours of runtime on low". I can't tell you where at this moment, but I found via a search on this site that someone had tested that L1 version and found, according to the notes in my PDA, 90 hours of full functioning at normal light level, after which it went into "moon mode". After 118 hours, it would no longer light up on high, and at 170 hours, it went out entirely. Just a weensy bit better than "20+" would imply, eh?

So who knows? Would love to see a similar test on the Cree version, having just gotten mine.

- Bill

Burgess

Flashaholic
Excellent question, StinkyButler --

Wondered about that very thing, myself !

Now that they're shipping, hope that we finally get our answer.

:popcorn:
-

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
For example, I just checked the packaging on my second-generation L1 (Luxeon III) and it says "over 20 hours of runtime on low".

It could be they only tested it on Low for 20 hours before some Marketing Manager said "That's enough, print it up."

StinkyButler

Newly Enlightened
Someone (Chao I believe) posted a runtime graph of the L1 on high, and it aligns pretty well with Surefire's advertised numbers (about 1.5 hours to 50%). I'm hoping the advertised numbers for low are not similarly accurate.

StinkyButler

Newly Enlightened
Also, I was just looking at Chevrofreaks runtime plot for the P2D and it has steady regulation on high (80 lumens) for almost 3 hours. That's more lumens at double the amount of time. Are Fenix lights really THAT efficient? Truly awesome if that's the case.

P2D CE - high - 80 lumnens for 3 hours *
SF L1 - high - 65 lumens for 1.5 hours

P2D CE - turbo - 110 (or so) lumens for almost 1 hour *

P2D CE - low - 9 lumens for almost 32 hours *
SF L1 - low - 10 lumens for 16 hours

Don't get me wrong, I love my new L1, I'm just curious as to the much lower runtimes. It's been stated that Surefire's goal with the Crees was runtime, not brightness. What happened?

* Courtesy Chevrofreak's runtime analysis in the "Reviews" section.

luigi

Enlightened
The L1 is brighter than the P2D on high, Surefire's 65 lumen rating is completely underrated, I think it is around 85 lumen aprox.

It may also be the case that the low 10 lumens are really 20 or 30 lumens, since to me the new L1 is a light designed to be run on low mode with the high mode available for bursts.

Luigi

Also, I was just looking at Chevrofreaks runtime plot for the P2D and it has steady regulation on high (80 lumens) for almost 3 hours. That's more lumens at double the amount of time. Are Fenix lights really THAT efficient? Truly awesome if that's the case.

P2D CE - high - 80 lumnens for 3 hours *
SF L1 - high - 65 lumens for 1.5 hours

P2D CE - turbo - 110 (or so) lumens for almost 1 hour *

P2D CE - low - 9 lumens for almost 32 hours *
SF L1 - low - 10 lumens for 16 hours

Don't get me wrong, I love my new L1, I'm just curious as to the much lower runtimes. It's been stated that Surefire's goal with the Crees was runtime, not brightness. What happened?

* Courtesy Chevrofreak's runtime analysis in the "Reviews" section.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just curious as to the much lower runtimes. It's been stated that Surefire's goal with the Crees was runtime, not brightness. What happened?

I'm surprised too. I suspect they didn't want to obsolete their higher priced LED models. They should have started with their top models and worked down.

StinkyButler

Newly Enlightened
The L1 is brighter than the P2D on high, Surefire's 65 lumen rating is completely underrated, I think it is around 85 lumen aprox.

It may also be the case that the low 10 lumens are really 20 or 30 lumens, since to me the new L1 is a light designed to be run on low mode with the high mode available for bursts.

Luigi

I think you are correct, I tested the L1 against the P2D again last night and the L1 is definitely much brighter than the Fenix in comparable modes. Perhaps it all boils down to the output really being double (or more) that of the P2D on low and that is the cause of the runtime being half of what is expected.