Have come to the conclusion that the U2 makes it hard to justify buying a 120

jboydjr

Newly Enlightened
Here is the deal...I have been desperately looking for a new torch, and was getting ready to pre-order the Novatac - P, when it occurred to me that (although I'd kill for one and will probably get it to add to my collection) I don't need it. What's the value of an extra 20 lumens when the runtime at 120 is 30 minutes. I already have the U2 that will run from 1-40 hours, and give me 100 lumens for at least 60 minutes. I remember seeing a thread "Is the U2 obsolete," and I keep hoping that it is, but in reality it isn't. It's a brilliant piece of design, UI, craftsmanship. Am I the only one thinking this way?

Talas

Newly Enlightened
I would bet that most U2 owners (myself included) don't EDC their light. We take it when we have tasks that require a flashlight or perhaps when out for an evening walk. HDS owners (myself included), as well as potential Novatac buyers, will tend to carry this light more than they actually use it due to its size and form factor. As much as I like my U2, it is too large to have with me all the time... and while the user interface is not as straightforward as the U2, the HDS offers me reasonably quick access to multiple levels and the option of a high level if needed, uses just one battery (including rechargables), and offers similar reliability, in a smaller package. Both have their place in a flashaholic's collection. Just my two cents.

cy

Flashaholic
when I got a serious job to do that needs lights..... like AC work, transmission job, plumbing job, etc....

Surefire U2 w/18650 and Argo HP w/17670 headlamp is what actually gets pulled out. And I've got a slew of lights to chose from.

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
<< Am I the only one thinking this way? >>

I would agree. I do EDC my U2 despite its size. Although a civilian I carry enough stuff on my belt already (pager, cell phone, leatherman, and a self defense item), so the U2 just naturally fits in. The wife thinks I am crazy and jokes about what I carry, but if something nasty happens each item is needed. I also do not consider the U2 as obsolete. It works well for me in output, beam profile, and battery life.

If a small sized light is needed I already have other alternatives, so purchasing another light "just because" really is not needed. None are as small as the NovaTac lights, but I do not need anything to be that small and powerful. Likewise, each light I select to carry on any individual day is based upon what I am going to be doing and what I think my needs will be. It may be the U2, an A2, a Huntlight Cree, or even a X5.

All that being said, everyone's needs and desires are different. There are folks who may need a very small profile light to keep it hidden (tucked away nicely in a suit) or because they already carry a lot more than I do (Think paramedic), or who just wanrt the latest and greatest. No harm in that. I am sure I will purchase more lights down the road if the need is there or the desire creeps in.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I also EDC my U2. Mine is in my right front pocket 99.9% of the time. About the only time I don't have it with me is if I'm going to a bike ride, and then I just take my Fenix P2D. All other times I've got my U2, my L4 on my belt in a MaxPedition holster, and the P2D in my pocket. I don't really need that much light, but I work nights as much as possible, and I use 'em all for electrical & instrumentation work. I figure I might as well be prepared in case I do need it. I'm also a volunteer firefighter so they come in handy there sometimes too.

Roger

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a U2 and am very pleased with it. It could be my EDC but, doesn't fit my lifestyle with the need for something smaller althiough with an 18650 it permits some impressive runtimes. The extra 20 lumens of my Novatac will be nice and something I will use on an irregular basis along with the strobe on more rare occasions. Both great lights, different approaches is all. As I have said before, I have several SureFires and several HDSs--no problems with either.

Karl

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right of course, but what does "need" have to do with it?

I actually did the opposite though. I seouled my HDS and didn't need the U2 so I sold it off.

ensile

Enlightened
I think people should stop bickering about in which order they get what light, you will get them all (the ones you desire) eventually anyways, so quit being noxious and just get either, because in a few weeks you'll talk yourself into the other one anyways [even, if you have to lie about the missing cash from the account lols]

:paypal:

err... woops wrong recipient.... honest mistake, really.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I would bet that most U2 owners (myself included) don't EDC their light. We take it when we have tasks that require a flashlight or perhaps when out for an evening walk. HDS owners (myself included), as well as potential Novatac buyers, will tend to carry this light more than they actually use it due to its size and form factor. As much as I like my U2, it is too large to have with me all the time... and while the user interface is not as straightforward as the U2, the HDS offers me reasonably quick access to multiple levels and the option of a high level if needed, uses just one battery (including rechargables), and offers similar reliability, in a smaller package. Both have their place in a flashaholic's collection. Just my two cents.

I agree with what Talas says and I learned that people carry their U2 in their pockets which is cool. I don't EDC my U2 in my pocket but I do EDC it in my bag.

I find the U2 is easier to hold because of its size and it has 6 light levels. On the other hand the EDC can be programmed for a lower light level than the U2 and (without checking) the Novatac EDC will have great runtimes on 1 battery.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the U2 is one of the finest flashlights ever made. It is supremely bright even when compared to Cree or Seoul based lights and it's runtime on an 18650 is stellar. I love the simplicity of the user interface and the beam shape.

I don't carry it with me because of it's size so I second those that indicate that the NovaTac EDC or the HDS is a better choice. I will enjoy having access to the full brightness of my 120P even if it is only for 30 minutes.

-Goatee

cbxer55

Enlightened
I EDC my U2, along with a Fenix P1D-CE. I use both of them multiple times each day. I am a Inspector at a railcar manufacturing facility. My U2 is going on 2 years old and has had zero problems, including the clickie, which ic the original. I have a back-up switch, but it is still in the package. Since buying the U2, the only other light I bought is the P1D-CE. And because it is deep in my pocket, it gets used less than the U2, which I keep clipped to my left pocket. I do not leave home without it.

This light still continues to amaze non-flashlight folks. Last night on a motorcycle ride with friends, a fellow was trying to tighten a screw on his glasses with a fingernail. I dug out my Leatherman Charge with the glasses screwdriver, handed it to him and then got out the U2 and started fiddling with the brightness. He said "Hey that is neat, where did you get a flashlight with adjustable brightness?" I did not tell him how much it costed as my wife was sitting next to me and has no idea it costed $270.00! LOL

It is definitely not obsolete!

Absoultely the best flashlight I have ever owned.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will often EDC my U2 (with a homemade JakStrap headband for hands-free use - yeah, a little big & heavy, but it works 'ok'), particularly if wearing some "cargo"-style pants that day. Even non-cargo casual pants, carried vertically with bezel up (not using the clip) at the outer portion of a front pant pocket works for me. Doesn't bulge the pocket too too much, but then my pockets have a lot of things in them already, so perhaps that why it doesn't look too bad.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at a gun shop recently, and they had a display case with lots of SFs. Most of them, including the U2, were a lot smaller than I imagined. It's about the size of most other 2xCR123A tactical lights (Gladius, Huntlights, etc.). I'd say that the U2 is definitely in the EDCable category, unless you're the kind of person who likes to travel light, instead of travel WITH light. Heh heh.

cbxer55

Enlightened
The head is a bit bigger than most 2 x 123 lights, especially the E1 and E2. But when carried with the clip it is unobtrusive. It took a bit of getting used to when I first got it, but after 2 years, I feel naked without it.

The only thing I never liked was the chrome clip, since everything else I carry has a black clip. As an experiment I got a hold of some 1/8 ID heat shrink tubing, removed the clip and finagled it on each side, cut off to meet the body, then shrunk it down. Time will tell how durable it is, but after 3 weeks it is still good to go.

I also got some 1/4 ID tubing and applied it to several of my favorite knoves clips and the clip of my Leatherman Charge.
That has also been on for the same 3 weeks without failing. Looks good too. I work at a place that has a lot of rough things to bump against, so have to pay attention anyways. But the tubing looks better than faded and scratched black paint.

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use mine a lot.

I don't edc it in the city, but when I'm in the mountains I do. It has the best brightness selection system of any flashlight I have seen and the size is perfect when it is in use.
In the city I edc a HDS with a Seoul that is slightly brighter, but only runs for 30 minutes while the U2 with an 18650 runs for 90.. I prefer the brightness selection and switch of the U2 over the HDS as well.

Until somebody releases a led that will drop in, is twice as bright and still has the perfect tint of my current U2 it will stay unmodded, but loved:)

Sverre

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
I also EDC my U2 all the time. Simply love the beam and the user interface.

Having said that though, I'll probably also get a new Novatec and EDC it as well!

:)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I like my KL5 with an 18650, or 17650, which has the same size head as the U2, but really it is not an every day carry light size for MOST people. I am edc'ing a modded Arc LS first run, with flupic, MOFO clicky tailcap, and Cree P4, in my front pocket, and you can hardy see it there, and it is probably about the same size as the Novatac 120. Apples and oranges, folks, except for variable light output

Bill