L1 CREE or KX1 does work with Rechargeables

greenstuffs

Banned
I was playing today with my new L1 Cree and was able to run on a 17670 into a L4 body, the brightness is similar to that of a primary, but the thing screams with 2 primaries you should all try it. The brightness is more of a L1D on lion haven't tried with 3 primaries yet, and the beam throws more than a gladius with seoul.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Since L1 electronics are in the body rather than the head, mounting the L1 on an L4 body means running the LED in direct drive. The results are not reflective of what the L1's drive electronics will tolerate.

greenstuffs

Banned
Forgot about that, but i tried sticking a RCR into the body i can feel that its too tight and if i force the RCR in then there is no way out for the battery.
\
Since L1 electronics are in the body rather than the head, mounting the L1 on an L4 body means running the LED in direct drive. The results are not reflective of what the L1's drive electronics will tolerate.

luminata

Enlightened
neither my blu chinese 750ma rcrs or my Battery Station 900ma rcrs will fit in the L1 Cree. that damn little lip prevents it. but they might slide in if outer wrapper was removed? is this safe to do? it seems it would still be tight though and no way to pull it back out

Spypro

Enlightened
Is there ANY LED Surefire working with RCR123A ?
I'm so confused :S

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Is there ANY LED Surefire working with RCR123A ?
I'm so confused :S

Current information is that the E2L (KX2 head) will work with two R123A if the body is bored out or an aftermarket body tube (i.e. Leef) is used.

The L1 may work with an R123A if the body tube is bored out.

Spypro

Enlightened
I see :|
Thank for the infos!
I would buy SF if I could use RCR123A with them... but I can see that it is not possible "right out of the box" :(
Why it is not simple as "take the flashlight off the box, open it, put some rcr123a in it and tadam !" ?

Last edited:

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Why it is not simple as "take the flashlight off the box, open it, put some rcr123a in it and tadam !" ?

For many brands, it is that simple. Surefire, though, has perverse economic incentives because they sell batteries and might not want to risk sales of the L7.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I disagree. I don't think it's about battery sales so much as waranty issues. If you want to run a full warranty, you will want to ensure your customers cannot easily screw up your product.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
I disagree. I don't think it's about battery sales so much as waranty issues. If you want to run a full warranty, you will want to ensure your customers cannot easily screw up your product.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Streamlight or Inova, both of which offer lifetime warranties.

Spypro

Enlightened
I would buy a SF if I was able to use RCR123A without modding.
Because of that I can't buy their products so I will end buying something else.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy a SF if I was able to use RCR123A without modding.
Because of that I can't buy their products so I will end buying something else.
Yes!.. The option to use rechargeables is an important aspect for me also for buying SF. Those I have uesd before have this facility if not no point in buying primaries which are in fact expensive where I am.

Spypro

Enlightened
To be able to use rechargeable is in fact an important aspect... at least for me it is.
I'm sure they would sell a little more of their flashlights if the customers were able to use rechargeable.
Surefire have good looking flashlights, looks solid and reliable. I would buy one or two tonight if I was able to use my rcr123a.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Li-Ion rechargables are a huge liability for them.

IF they even passively allow the user to use R123s, there have been enough CPFers who brag how they "modded" their L4/L2s by using 2 R123s. Down the road SF will get a prematurely dim L4 and go, "hmm, someone used more than 6 volts in here".(ever wonder why the older L4s and L2s could house R123s, but the new ones can't?)

The other issue is that lack of standard in safety among the Li-Ion makers, who are all in the Far East with little over sight beyond the need to keep exploding cells to a minimum to avoid market backlash. Who makes those nice little blue 17670s? are they protected? or do they just day protected? what protection circuit is used? remember for most SF users they are not CPF addicts and do not want to deal with no-name batteries that can be a small stick of dynamite.

Officially, all manufacturers discourage using rechargables. Streamlight keeps telling their customers that their ProPolymer Lux should only be used with primary Alkalines.

Senerio:

SOme moron with a E2L. the guy puts in two R123s that are unprotected. The light is not locked out, and sits in a hot, enclosed car under the sun. The light shifts and turns on. Upon depletion the cells vented and explode, injuring the passenger sitting there,

next morning in San Francisco Chronicle:

"Fountain Valley Gun Light maker's product explodes, injures preganant woman."

guess who the press and lawyers will go after. You connect the dots.

Last edited:

Spypro

Enlightened
I know that it is simpler for Surefire to let the customers (CPFers or not) using primary cells. It is also simpler for a company to buy a bunch of SF lights and some cases of CR123A.
To be able to use rechargeable would be a good option for some customers and maybe companies.
I'm interested in SF lights but the main reason I can't buy them is that I cannot use rechargeable (without any mods).
So I will try to find something that is close to SF quality... any recommendations ?

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
don't ask me how I know. ALl I know is I have a very nice paper weight in the shape of an Inova XO.

That's exactly my point. Inova lights will be destroyed by 3.7v R123As yet Inova hasn't been bankrupted by warranty claims or liability lawsuits. The argument that SF needs to prevent the use of rechargeables for warranty or liability reasons doesn't wash because other manufacturers' lights are even more vulnerable to 3.7v yet don't seem to pose a warranty/liability problem.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
So I will try to find something that is close to SF quality... any recommendations ?

Lots of choices for 3.6v R123A support: Pila, Wolf-Eyes, Peak, Novatac, and probably more that don't come to mind at present. If you have money to burn then most custom/small production run lights (e.g. Gatlight, Orb) will take various rechargeables as well.

3.0v R123As are known work in Inova lights and may work in Streamlight and Pentagonlight lights.

Spypro

Enlightened
Thanks !
Novatac seem to be the one that is the closest to Surefire in term of quality.
It looks like that the A2 Aviator can use RCR123A... but the light is a little bit... expensive because I'll buy two lights in the end.

EDIT: I got an answer from SF telling me that there is no rechargeable Li-Ion that is working with their light.

I'll look elsewhere.

Last edited:

bouncer

Enlightened
Thanks !
Novatac seem to be the one that is the closest to Surefire in term of quality.
It looks like that the A2 Aviator can use RCR123A... but the light is a little bit... expensive because I'll buy two lights in the end.

EDIT: I got an answer from SF telling me that there is no rechargeable Li-Ion that is working with their light.

I'll look elsewhere.

Not true if you by used. some older l4 & e2 bodies L4 will work with a 17670 battery because the board is a boost circuit The e1l, e2l older models will take r123's . It really isn't that hard to bore out a body to take a 17670 battery. I'm waiting to buy some 17670's my SF bodies will fit them.