Has anyone seen the new Cabella's headlamp?

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
I think it's in the XPG series of lights. Pretty nice. 3xAA but I think it works with 3xAAA also, three levels plus slow strobe. For some reason the led on the back/battery pack is green. I'm hoping someone knows a DX generic option for $5 or something instead of the $29.99 Cabella's wants for theirs.
TIA, RJ...

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED on the battery pack is green because it is supposed to be quite visible to hunters, but not to game. Green LEDs are often use to signal one hunter's presence to another hunter, so you don't get shot and mounted on a wall by a high ranking politician who might be out hunting.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hunting folks around here wear blaze (fluorescent) orange because deer aren't supposed to be able to see it. If they can't see green either then what colours can they see?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
gray-scale is the thought for many mammals - lots of rods; few cones. hence, for example dogs have at least 5x the low light perception of humans.

orange is req'd also, but it's difficult to see at dusk or when its darker, hence the need for the green LED lighting. non-politician, knowledgeable hunters know it's not the gleam from some animal's eyes.

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
Now that I've done a little searching it looks just like the Nuwai/Rayovac 3 watt headlamp but with a green rear LED so I'm off to Coscos to get a red one.