Wolf Eye Questions/Raider vs Defender

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
I have pretty much decided that I am going to be purchasing a Wolf Eyes as my next light, but I have some questions regarding the lights I was hoping some of you could answer.

1. Is the Raider(9AX) Cree brighter than the Defender(D2AX) Cree?

2. Is Wolf Eyes coming out with a low and high mode for the Raider soon?

3. Is the LED Tail Cap(Link below) compatible with the Raider? If so, how much light does it give off? http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6073

4. Are the Rechargeable versions worth the cost, or should I just purchase my own charging station seperately?

5. I see the Raider says the Cree lamp is D26/D36. Which is it?

6. Does Mike still give a discount to CPF? I have sent him my info, but no reply.

Thanks for the help guys.

LA OZ

Enlightened
The only reason why I did not buy a Wolf Eye until recently is because they are so confusing. I hope they got their act together and give use a summary of each torch characteristic and options.

I have received my Raider 9AX incan a few days ago and that thing is bright. It feels heavy and substantial. I really believe it is more durable than the Fenix and the like. I understand there are two Crees drop in for WE. There is the 3.7-6V with multilevel and the 3.7-13V single level. I am pretty sure the cheaper rechargeable that is available is not too far off from the WE batteries in performance with half the price. That is all I can help you with.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Is the Raider(9AX) Cree brighter than the Defender(D2AX) Cree?
It's probably the same brightness
2. Is Wolf Eyes coming out with a low and high mode for the Raider soon?

3. Is the LED Tail Cap(Link below) compatible with the Raider? If so, how much light does it give off? http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6073
Yes...Not alot of light.

4. Are the Rechargeable versions worth the cost, or should I just purchase my own charging station seperately?
If you buy different 18650 batteries and charger it will be cheaper, but you will need to buy magnets or something to put on the positive side of the battery, since they are flat tops.

5. I see the Raider says the Cree lamp is D26/D36. Which is it?
The Raider 9AX is a D26 size lamp assembly, and the Raider 9DX is a turbo bezel that is a D36 size lamp assembly.

6. Does Mike still give a discount to CPF? I have sent him my info, but no reply.
PM Mike@PTS and he usually responds in a day. Look up his username and follow CPF link for discount. Here is his link to username: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=10538

GreySave

Enlightened
My understanding is that the LED tailcap will not work with any of the LED lamp assemblies. I believe it is an incan only option and also will not work if the incan burns out.

I use one with my 9D Raider. The white tailcap puts out about 5 lumens if my memory is correct, and output is in the form of a medium spot with dim side spill. The red tailcap is very similar. It has been a while since I used it but if memory serves me correctly it has more throw than the white due to the dsign of the LEDs. I find them useful, but both (to me) are too bright for night adapted vision in close quarters, such as in the house.

Pokerstud

Enlightened
I have pretty much decided that I am going to be purchasing a Wolf Eyes as my next light, but I have some questions regarding the lights I was hoping some of you could answer.

Might want to just send him another email or PM. Go to the website and set up your account and log in. If you see a lower price on products after you log in verses prior to logging in, your ready to go.

Mike is a good guy to work with, and the WE line is top notch.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little bit of info on the WE Cree HO 3.7 - 13V D26 Lamp.....I have used this in the Sniper with 1x 18650 cell and 2x RCR123 cells. The 2x RCR123 made the lamp brighter than the 1x 18650. In the Raider with 2x 18500 it was about the same brightness as with the 2x RCR123 set up. The major difference is that the 2x 18500's will give much longer run time than the 2x RCR123's......I have not tried the WE Cree HO 3.7 - 6V lamp so I can not comment.

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
It seems that I need to go with the Defender if I want a low mode. That or get a Raider with an incan along with the led tail cap.

Lastly, just to justify the price, will the Defender be brighter than the Fenix P3D?

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix P3D is little bit brighter on max mode than Defender II with HO cree.
I don´t know if it´s because P3D´s smooth reflector vs. Defender OP reflector or just difference of output.
anyway, Defender II just put my 3,7-6v xenons to retire..

And to your thinking about Defender II vs. Raider..
I think Raider´s stock incan lamp (or any 9v stock incans) is not so much brighter than Defender´s cree, and you´ll get better runtimes, shock resistance, smaller size and high/low output with Defender II.

But advantage of Raider is that you can get higher output lamps from Lumensfactory. So if you want highest/brightest output go for Raider with Lumensfactory lamps, but if you want both brightness and runtime and usefulness like multilevel light go for Defender II or P3D-CE.

Before these multimode lights, i thought led tailcaps are very good for low output option (of course they are) but in my experience they aren´t as durable as other part of light and Defender II is much more easier and comfortable to switch from high to low and otherwise.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 5c worth.....

Flashlightreviews.com data

Fenix L2DCE....throw, 54.58.....output, 88.00
Fenix P3DCE.............55.22................90.00

not much in it for some reason. I am sure that if you run a Defender II with a 2x RCR123 cells and a WE Cree HO 3.7 - 13V lamp that this would be brighter than if you had a 1x 18650/2x CR123 cells and a WE Cree HO 3.7 - 6V lamp in the light.

My wife and I have compared the L2DCE...........with the DII with Cree HO 3.7 -13V lamp and 2x RCR123 cells and came to a conclusion that the DII/HO3.7-13V was clearly brighter.

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
For those with the P3D CE and the WE Defender Cree, which one would you say gives a "floodier" light?

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
Defender II´s and P3D´s hotspot and sidespill are the same class so no difference in flood. P3D throws little bit better.

FASTCAR

Banned
I have both.Both same brightness.IMO go with the 6a/cree just because its alot smaller.

The small head ( 26) is a tad more floody. The large head ( 36) is a bit more spotty.I prefer the 26.

I run both now with my diffuser and love them.

As far as batts, I have had best run time and luck with Wolf Eyes batts. Cheepie 18650s never work out as well for me.

***as far as (PTS) mike, as far as I know he left for Calli on friday and will be back in a few days.He is always good with answering Emails.

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both.Both same brightness.IMO go with the 6a/cree just because its alot smaller.

The small head ( 26) is a tad more floody. The large head ( 36) is a bit more spotty.I prefer the 26.

As far as batts, I have had best run time and luck with Wolf Eyes batts. Cheepie 18650s never work out as well for me.

***as far as (PTS) mike, as far as I know he left for Calli on friday and will be back in a few days.He is always good with answering Emails.

Let me get this right......

You have both the D26 Cree HO 3.7 - 6V lamp as well as the D26 Cree HO 3.7 - 13V?

I don't have the 3.7 - 6V so don't know the performance with either the 1x 18650 or 2x CR123 with this lamp.

I have tried my D26 Cree HO 3.7 - 13V with 1x 18650 and also with the 2x RCR123 cells. (I did not try it with 2x CR123 cells) It is clearly brighter on the 2x RCR123 cells; it is also brighter than my Fenix L2DCE, which according to Flashlightreviews is very similar to the P3DCE. I guess this is only my personal result and other lights may vary in performance.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D36 is suppose to have better flood than the D26. This thread in post #1 and post #41 gives you a very good review and opinion: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165939

Last edited: