Surprised With My P3D

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
I've been really surprised at the power of my itty bitty P3D. After playing with it inside and out I decided to test something I hadn't planned to use it for. We're very security conscious, and weapons and lights are kept at the ready always (no children in the home). I decided to see how the P3D might rate as a nighttime "checking-out-the-house" light.

I had my wife put the P3D in Turbo mode, and switch to Strobe, and hit me in the face with it - wow was I surprised! This little thing is blinding and disorienting in our blackened hallway. I couldn't see her at all . . . I couldn't see anything except this blinding flashing light.

Since it's so small and easy to handle while brandishing a weapon in the other hand, it just might repace another big (much heavier) light. I had been using one of those large lights that came with (and use the same rechargable battery as) the power drill and saw. The other light is more powerful, but there's something about the combination of the P3D's power and the disorienting effect of the strobe that seems to make it more effective, not to mention that it's so much smaller and lighter and easy to handle.

I had no idea this little thing would do so well. So . . . . . until I buy the next (brighter) one . . . . the P3D is on the nightstand.

Larry

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes you say that? The stobe on the HDS's was much slower and less disorienting than the Fenix. What's more, the Fenix is brighter than the NovaTac.

so I assume you have compared the two side by side when you say the Fenix is brighter??:rolleyes: let me guess, you read the published spec on the Fenix, and said, "wow, 160, that's more than 120!!!" That seems to be the case with most people on CPF these days, if only I had a penny everytime someone....

the Novatacs will have a disorienting strobe feature that is different from the emergency strobe feature. the interfaceof the Novatac is years ahead of the Fenix. literally.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I was unaware that you had one. I guess the way you speak so highly of it I should have known that you had one 'in hand'.

:rolleyes:

look, I can only say unlike you, I am not speculating. that's all I will say.

PS you do realize that there are Novatacs that have been shipped to end users in certain sectors, right?

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The strobe on my Bushnell is very irratating as well. Haven't seen a P3D yet though.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rolleyes:

look, I can only say unlike you, I am not speculating. that's all I will say. The power of NDAs...

Fair enough. When you reference the interface, then, I assume you can access the strobe with less than one click and one half-depress as you can on the Fenix. This is what I would expect from an intereface that is "literally" years ahead of a Fenix. I'm assuming some kind of telepathy is involved...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough. When you reference the interface, then, I assume you can access the strobe with less than one click and one half-depress as you can on the Fenix. This is what I would expect from an intereface that is "literally" years ahead of a Fenix. I'm assuming some kind of telepathy is involved...

go read the Novatac manual on their website. you can set the strobe as a brightness setting and adjust the force setting, you can directly access strobe with one depress. simple as that.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
go read the Novatac manual on their website. you can set the strobe as a brightness setting and adjust the force setting, you can directly access strobe with one depress. simple as that.

I don't know if simple is the word I would use. Look, I have an HDS U60, which has a similar click driven interface. The HDS is a great light, but I don't like that you can't easily select a bright or dim level from the get go. For example, let's say I have force off and the last level I used was max. I'm in a theater and all I want is low to look for something I dropped. I first have to turn the light on max, draw a bunch of attention to myself, then triple click to low. Whereas on a SureFire A2, L1, L2, I just depress halfway, done. On the Fenix, I just make sure the head isn't rotated all the way down, click it on and I have low. Conversely, with each, high is also easy to access.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if simple is the word I would use. Look, I have an HDS U60, which has a similar click driven interface. The HDS is a great light, but I don't like that you can't easily select a bright or dim level from the get go. For example, let's say I have force off and the last level I used was max. I'm in a theater and all I want is low to look for something I dropped. I first have to turn the light on max, draw a bunch of attention to myself, then triple click to low. Whereas on a SureFire A2, L1, L2, I just depress halfway, done. On the Fenix, I just make sure the head isn't rotated all the way down, click it on and I have low. Conversely, with each, high is also easy to access.

I think most people with U60s are pretty versed with them, including you. it's not that hard to press the light against you palm, click, then click to whatever low is. no more confusing than unscrew the head of a light. Bonus: water proof with a non-rotating head design.

or you can select your light to low, and turn it off before the lights dim.

9 lumens on default of the P3D is a lot of light in a dark theater, btw. you can set the brightness on each level on a Novatac. that's a major plus.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
or you can select your light to low, and turn it off before the lights dim.

9 lumens on default of the P3D is a lot of light in a dark theater, btw. you can set the brightness on each level on a Novatac. that's a major plus.

That's true. You can do the same on the HDS. In the end, the HDS is more versatile than the Fenix, but out-of-the-box another light like an L1 or PxD is easier to use. Does the NovaTac allow selection of multiple levels from "off"?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i need strobe,then this has to be left to my wiseled tactical.but one thing the UI is different on the novatacs than on the HDS,would this be correct statement.just checked the novatac 120T it says strobe just a button click away.

Last edited:

SaVaGe

Enlightened
so I assume you have compared the two side by side when you say the Fenix is brighter??:rolleyes: let me guess, you read the published spec on the Fenix, and said, "wow, 160, that's more than 120!!!" That seems to be the case with most people on CPF these days, if only I had a penny everytime someone....

the Novatacs will have a disorienting strobe feature that is different from the emergency strobe feature. the interfaceof the Novatac is years ahead of the Fenix. literally.

RIGHT ON DUDE!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

zk188

Newly Enlightened
Can you guys please take this bullshit private this isnt your thread to argue in if you want to do that take it to pm's please.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tested both the P3D and the Novatac 120P and the Fenix is indeed slightly brighter. The strobe of the Fenix is slower, but is also seems to be brighter. The Novatac strobe does seem more disorienting though.

And the Fenix is just using a P4 bin. I've tested a Q5 modified P3D that was 190 lumens* at startup. Fenix will probably be producing a Q2 version, if not a Q5 or R2 version before long. The new P3D using a 100lm/W rebel should be atleast 160 lumens out the front.

The Novatac interface is cool, but it has a heck of a learning curve, the Fenix doesn't. Explain the operation of the Fenix to someone and they figure it out immediately.

*estimated

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you guys please take this bullshit private this isnt your thread to argue in if you want to do that take it to pm's please.
i'm afraid you will always,get this,when someone mentions HDS or NOVATAC.but really they all have there place in the flashlight world,and to be honest any flashlight will have its good and bad points.but some people will strongly defend their choosen brand thats human nature. protect what you feel is right,even if it's not.:eek:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been really surprised at the power of my itty bitty P3D. After playing with it inside and out I decided to test something I hadn't planned to use it for. We're very security conscious, and weapons and lights are kept at the ready always (no children in the home). I decided to see how the P3D might rate as a nighttime "checking-out-the-house" light.

I had my wife put the P3D in Turbo mode, and switch to Strobe, and hit me in the face with it - wow was I surprised! This little thing is blinding and disorienting in our blackened hallway. I couldn't see her at all . . . I couldn't see anything except this blinding flashing light.

Since it's so small and easy to handle while brandishing a weapon in the other hand, it just might repace another big (much heavier) light. I had been using one of those large lights that came with (and use the same rechargable battery as) the power drill and saw. The other light is more powerful, but there's something about the combination of the P3D's power and the disorienting effect of the strobe that seems to make it more effective, not to mention that it's so much smaller and lighter and easy to handle.

I had no idea this little thing would do so well. So . . . . . until I buy the next (brighter) one . . . . the P3D is on the nightstand.

Larry
to get back on topic,the p3d is a great little light.but my guess is,now with a rebel led.i may have to get one myself.sold my last one because of the grip issue.has this been modified yet to allow better grip.