looking for a light/source for light

jchock

Newly Enlightened
(not sure if this is the correct forum, but...) My father has set me to this task:

He had a 2xAA flashlight that looked like a black mini-m@g that instead had a push button on the side (not tail) and had a push/pull (telescoping head) such that if you pulled the shroud around the head out, you got white light that could be focused, and if you pushed it in it pushed a red tube down so you got a red filter. He used it when he was flying and other things, but recently gave it away to a soldier in Iraq who needed a light.

Presuming of course that he could just get me to find another one, he then contacted me so I could find another and send it to him. Of course, I think he's had this light for almost 10 years so I don't know where I can find it now. He liked the ability to change the color without adding a filter cover and he does not want a $50 LED light that you change the active LED. Basically, he wants me to find him the same mini-m@g light like device. I figure by now, probably there's a CHICOM clone out there or it's still being sold by a pilot shop or surplus store, but I don't know who is the supposed manufacturer or distributor...

Can anyone point me (and thus him) in the correct direction?

Thanks!

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Show him the Surefire Aviator A2. Then show him the price, and he'll be happy with whatever you give him :) There is a streamlight (NightCom?) that's $50. Both of these lights are CR123a - about 1 hr runtime on a set for the bright white. Coast has a 3AAA - V2 Tactical Dual Color Light.

Try Googling "pilot flashlight red white AA" for 2XAA options.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Led version:
This light's ultra-bright LEDs have a service life of over 100,000 hours—no filaments to burn out or glass to break. Simple one-handed operation produces white or red light at the flip of a switch while a thumbwheel brightness control allows you to select just the right intensity. Rugged case and solid state circuitry. Operates up to 300 hours on the lowest intensity setting (12 hours on highest) on one 9 volt battery (included). Includes 20-inch neck strap. Measures 4 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 1".
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=1515&CATID=169

Here is a Smith & Wesson - 10 White led, 3 red, plus a special "1 red led very low mode".
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=10943&CATID=169