New Inova T1 and T2 - why different run times?

boet

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I recently purchased the new models (K2?) Inova T1 and T2.
Really happy with them, bright and white beams.

What is confusing is the fact that they list different run times on the package, even though they both use 2 x CR123 batteries.
The T1 states up to 1.5 hours run time, and the T2 states up to 5 hours run time. Both packages say 85 lumen LED.

What is the reason for this difference in run time? Maybe I should exchange my T1 for another T2, even though I prefer the T1 form factor.

Please help - trying to figure this out is driving me :crazy:.

Edited to add: I have seen earlier posts which confirm the run time of the T1. I have not seen any relevant info on the T2.
Can someone point me to a run time test for the T2?

Thanks to all who reply.
Cheers.
Boet

Last edited:

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
The numbers Inova publishes for lumen ratings are simply pulled from the LEDs data sheets, not actual measurements of the flashlights output.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Boet,

Can you measure the current your new T2 draws from its batteries? From this, we can help deduce battery life.

My new K2-version T1 draws 675 mA.

How does the T2's throw and spill compare with your T1?

Thanks.

boet

Newly Enlightened
Noxonomus, both lumen ratings are quoted as being the same and both use the same battery configuration. As far as I am aware both have the same LED. Why the difference in run times:confused:?

parnass, I don't have equipment to measure the current :eek:. That puts me at the bottom of the flashoholics pile, for sure.
The T2 throws better, quite noticeable. T1 has more spill, noticeable but not a deal breaker difference for me. If I could only have one of these, I would choose the T2 because of the better throw, adequate spill and the (quoted) better run time. I prefer the T1 form factor. Both are too large for me to EDC unobtrusively (I'm an office jockey) - but I purchased them mainly for use outside (nice and bright) and white beam (yeah, babe :twothumbs. My #1 priority).

I am hoping someone more knowleadgeable than me owns both and could come up with an explanation for this quoted run time difference. They would contribute greatly to my peace of mind and well being:kiss:.

Thanks guys.
Cheers,
Boet

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightGuy.com writes that the new Inova T2 uses an LED rated at 85 lumens, but powers it to the 40 lumen level.

The same dealer writes here that the new T1 employs an 85 lumen LED and powers it to the 70 lumen level.

That would account for the difference in battery life. The difference in beam characteristics can be explained by the T2's larger reflector.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The different power up ratings just mean the two Lights run on different regulator circuits in order to make the 2 different outputs.

boet

Newly Enlightened
BrightGuy.com writes that the new Inova T2 uses an LED rated at 85 lumens, but powers it to the 40 lumen level.

The same dealer writes here that the new T1 employs an 85 lumen LED and powers it to the 70 lumen level.

That would account for the difference in battery life. The difference in beam characteristics can be explained by the T2's larger reflector.

By looking at the beam brightness (naked eye), I would never have said that the T1 puts out nearly double the T2. In fact, the T2 looks brighter to me. Strange.
parnass, in previous threads you have expressed an interest in the T2. In the furtherance of science and flashlight analysis, I am formally requesting that you obtain a T2 and get to the bottom of this ;).

Lightingguy321: I surmised that the two lights have different circuitry. But what I see contradicts what is stated in the above links.

Here is a fabulous review of the T1. Thanks Chao. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=167565

OK, I will just wait until some intrepid soul buys the T2 and does the in depth tests. Anyway, I like the lights. My T2 seems to be the better light from what my eyes see (brighter), with longer run time.

Thanks.
Cheers.
Boet

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
parnass, in previous threads you have expressed an interest in the T2. In the furtherance of science and flashlight analysis, I am formally requesting that you obtain a T2 and get to the bottom of this ;).

On the way to buy an Inova T2, I took a detour and got a Surefire CREE E2L instead. The E2L produces a solid 45 lumens for 9+ hours and I like it. However, there may still be a T2 in my future because I am a fan of Inova's T-series lights. :wave:

boet

Newly Enlightened
On the way to buy an Inova T2, I took a detour..............

Darn detours, always get lost doing that:ohgeez:.
Maybe you will find the Inova aisle again one day soon.

Surefire Crees are in my future for sure - L1, E1L and maybe E2L. I own three Surefires and like them (previous models L1, E1L and E2O).

Cheers.
Boet

ensile

Enlightened
because inova are now avid crack smokers. It has to be the only explanation.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Any one happen to have details on the regulator circuits in both the T1 and T2. Also does anyone have pictures of the regulator boards? The pics would be the most helpful in identifying the differences.