How Should I Power An Ultrafire C2?

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
I have an Ultrafire C2 on the way from DX.
This one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1446
It takes either 2xCR123's or 1x18650.

I also have a P3D which I'm powering with 2xRCR123A's and sometimes primary CR123A's.

Is there any advantage to using 1X18650 over 2XRCR123A's? Will the 18650 give me more throw, longer runtime, or any advantage? I am aware that I'll need a spacer for protected 18650's.

I am fairly new to Lithium Ions, but have had no problems with charging/using the RCR123A's. I never charge them unattended, pay strict attention to having the polarity correct, and I have the charger sitting in a large steel box just for safety.

Which would you use?

Thanks,

- Larry

Last edited:

KingGlamis

Banned
Well I'm no expert on batteries, but please post beam shots when you get it. i'm interested in that light as well.

Jefff

Enlightened
Here is some great info on this light http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154449

short answer 18650 for a little less light but more runtime.. this is how I ran mine and it is still amazingly bright. I would not run 2 rechargable cr123's in sequence of each other due to risk of batteries freaking out and blowing up.. so I went with the 18650's for the rechargable option so I didn't have to dump cash into a flashlight over and over again to keep it running.. To each his own though.

Congrats on the new light I really enjoyed mine and I am either going to buy another one in HAIII coating or try to find out what would be brighter than this ultrafire C2 in about the same package design..

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Here is some great info on this light http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154449

I would not run 2 rechargable cr123's in sequence of each other due to risk of batteries freaking out and blowing up.. so I went with the 18650's for the rechargable option so I didn't have to dump cash into a flashlight over and over again to keep it running..

Whoaaaaaa . . . . . I'm running 2 RCR123A's now in my P3D . . . . are you saying I should stick to primaries only? Am I putting my P3D in danger by using the rechargables? I take great care in the charging process, but it sounds like just using them in the light is dangerous . . . am I reading you right?

Oh yeah . . . . thanks for the link!

Thanks -

Larry

Last edited:

Windscale

Enlightened
I run my C2 on 1x 18650. My P3D CE is being run on 1x 17670. In fact, the C2 can run on 17670 as well. There is no difference between 18650 and 17670 except runtime (mah). The difference in length is minute. The C2 ran on 18650 is just as bright as running on 2x RCR123As (according to my Sekonic light meter measuring incident light.

I also don't like RCR123As as they just don't give sufficiently long runtimes. I am almost 100% rechargeable so I would try not to touch primary CR123As.

Both the C2 and P3D CE are great lights.

Jefff

Enlightened
If you use high quality protected RCR's you will probably be fine. I like AW brand myself. Never had a problem with them!

I would agree with this comment.. for me I just don't trust it. I had read too many post in the past of getting a bad combo and reverse charge etc.. This is just my opinion though .. I am not a battery expert either just going off of post I had read in the past about this situation

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened

I would not run 2 rechargable cr123's in sequence of each other due to risk of batteries freaking out and blowing up..

This is the only post I don't understand - What is the danger of "running 2 rechargable cr123's in sequence of each other"? I do this everyday in my P3D. If I run good quality RCR's is there any danger of them "freaking out and blowing up"?

Anybody?

Thanks - Larry