Standard distances for beam shot tests?

KingGlamis

Banned
I love all the info I get here but I'm also always thinking about how we can better improve the tests a lot of us do. Most of the sites that review flashlights test the output at a known distance that is usually pretty short (for example 1 meter). And they are often tests shining on a white wall (we have all done this).

But who really USES a flashlight to stare at a white wall one meter away?

Wouldn't it be much more useful to do outdoor tests at set distances? For example, how about beam shots at 10 feet, 25 feet, and 50 feet? And then have another category for the lights with serious throw, perhaps 100 feet, 150 feet, 200 feet, etc.

I have seen many reviews posted here where the poster was very careful to give exact distances, and I love those reviews. But it still isn't consistent. One person may post a review at 40 feet, and another at 75 feet, and another at 200 feet... etc, etc, etc.

Wouldn't it be much better if we all agreed on a set group of distances so that the tests would be more comparable? Then we could all plan to do beam shots at those distances and have them measured out for standarized testing. I know different objects reflect light differently, but that aside, at least standard distances would help make all light comparisons more helpful.

Thoughts?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It probably doesn't matter since there are so many variables that will effect how the beam shots will look. Such as the camera taking the image, the exposure, the white balance, the camera's own internal processing of the digital image, any processing done by the person who put the picture on their computer, possibly adjusted it, than sharing it. Beam shots will look different on different monitors, etc.

If we set a standard and said everyone set their white balance to daylight for LED's, incan for incans, shutter speed of 1/20s, f2.8, ISO 100, use a tripod, etc, there would still be variations in the results.

redledz

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean though KG. There are lots of times, that I wish I could see a beamshot of a thrower outside rather than a white wall. I also agree that the variables are just too much. I really enjoy Chao's beamshots as he does them at 5m and 15m I think and seems very consistent in his approach.

KingGlamis

Banned
It probably doesn't matter since there are so many variables that will effect how the beam shots will look. Such as the camera taking the image, the exposure, the white balance, the camera's own internal processing of the digital image, any processing done by the person who put the picture on their computer, possibly adjusted it, than sharing it. Beam shots will look different on different monitors, etc.

If we set a standard and said everyone set their white balance to daylight for LED's, incan for incans, shutter speed of 1/20s, f2.8, ISO 100, use a tripod, etc, there would still be variations in the results.

I agree with you, but I would at least like it if people took outside shots at certain distances. Then at least we can make our own determinations as to the output of the lights. And for that matter, a shot at a white wall at a certain distance can also be VERY different depending on the camera and the camera settings.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me beamshots can be taken at different distances, white walls, outdoor shots etc are good but must have the following;-

1. The photo must be on manual exposure and should be same for all beamshots.
2. There must another general/common light to do comparison with. Without this comparison, it is difficult to judge a performance of a particular reviewed light.

Worklight

Newly Enlightened
The diffrence between cameras is huge, SLR VS NON-SLR, can look like two widely diffrent things.

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Great topic KingGlamis

We (FoxFury) use beam shots of distances 10 ft and 50 ft away--we will be taking some from 100 ft away (for our MF, Pro III and HammerHead lights) as well. I'm not sure if these are the best/ideal distances but I'd love to know what you all think.

I agree that a white wall isn't always the most useful or telling--for that reason, we took/compared beam shots using a car as a reference point to communicate relative size. (http://foxfury.com/see_the_difference.html#beam_shots)

I feel it would be fantastic and in everyone's best interest to have a standard for beam shots for quick and accurate comparison. I am very interested to see everyone's feedback.