Modding a Gerber Infinity Ultra

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fingers crossed, I might get a Gerber Infinity Ultra for not much money at all.

My question is: how hard would it be to open it up, ditch the crappy ordinary LED and replace it with a high-intensity one?

Grubbster

Enlightened
It's not very hard. You should be able to open it with no trouble at all. They are not very tightly glued. The hardest part to changing the led is to get the legs bent properly so that it sits correctly in the reflector. You may be able to search and find more info. This used to be a fairly common mod around here and was discussed quite a bit. Another nice thing to do while you have it appart is to remove the anodizing in the cone and make it more of a reflector.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
New version or old? If it looks like the old CMG Infinity I've read it is potted and requires dental picks and a heat gun to get it cleaned out enough for the transplant. The newer version isn't a big deal once apart.

-LT

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
I can attest to the difficulty in opening an original CMG infinity:sick2:. I tried a mod because the original LED got dimmer, to the point of being useless as a light. I tried picking, boiling, and heating with a propane torch to loosen the driver to no avail. Finally I used a punch & hammer to break the led and drive out the board. My mod consisted of using a driver from a Arc AAA clone with a JELED 5mm led and potting it on the original board. The original CMG PC board cleared of components was reused for the nice battery contact and correct sizing to fit the head. Now it back in service with more output than the stock Infinity. Sure its not cost effective, but I liked the form factor of the CMG and its a learning experience. BTW the ARC AAA clone's driver/led is very easy to remove, its just crimped into place.