Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80 Rebel

krushed

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I was poking around the Fenix website oogling at the lights and trying to find one that is just right for me. I am not a fan of overly complex ui especially for features that I don't ever plan to use. I had been waiting for a light that just has 2 or 3 light levels but the L1T and L2T originals just didn't seem bright enough for me.

Now I'm looking at the Fenix L2T V2.0!

* The high level: Constant 140 Lumens, 2.4 hours (Ni-HM)
* The low level: Constant 15 Lumens, 32 hours (Ni-HM)

That sounds just about right for me. I would like an EDC light and I know this one is too long <sts> for that but I was thinking about getting the L1T spare body tube for this so that I might be able to fit it in my pocket. I could add the 2xAA for hiking trips. Wish the low level had a 5 lumen mode too though.

I what I'm really looking for is a 2xAAA light with a 1xAAA body to swap in for EDC but you can't have everything.

My price range is really up to $60.

What are ya'll's thoughts on this light? Know of a better choice for me?

blademan

Enlightened
This will probably be an outstanding light but they haven't come out yet, thus there are no reviews yet. Based on previous Fenixes I've owned and own I'm getting one for sure. And by the way, welcome to CPF...

clipse

Enlightened
Krushed,

I'm in the same boat as you. I really like my L1T for its simplicity but still has dual output. I'm waiting for the L2T v.2 to come out and then I'm hoping that body of my L1T will work with the newer L2T. Would make an awesome combination.

clipse

josean

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping that body of my L1T will work with the newer L2T.

Not sure, but according to the pics, it seems that the head is bigger (just as L2D) than the one from the previous model.

ginaz

Enlightened
i agree with you on a simple 2 mode light. it seems everyone is caught up in mode-mania. i also like a momentary switch. got one of these on order, can't wait!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Actually the L2D-CE can work exactly like a L2T. Tighten the head for brighter, and loosen for lower output, click for on and off. You don't have to go through the modes. But of course it also lacks a momentary switch and you might also bump into the other modes if you turn the light on and off quickly.

On average Fenix overrates their Lumen ratings by 20%(I read that somewhere here) so out the front lumens, the L2T is about 112 lumen high and 12 lumen low.

The L2T V2.0 seems like a great light but I think it should have a lower low.

Welcome to CPF krushed!

Last edited:

krushed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome! Long time lurker, first time poster!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the interactive side of CPF krushed!
To me I think the old L1T/L2T head will be compatible with the new L1T/L2T bodies. They bodies in the picture do not say v2.0 and they can use existing the bodies for the new version which would save production costs. Also, I think the rebels are more in line with the old emitters in terms of size. The L*D series got a bit bigger due to the Cree emitter and electronics and reflector to support it. I could be wrong in all of this but I am hopeful because I have an L1T and would love to use it with the new L2T v2.0.

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Actually the L2D-CE can work exactly like a L2T. Tighten the head for brighter, and loosen for lower output, click for on and off. You don't have to go through the modes. But of course it also lacks a momentary switch and you might also bump into the other modes if you turn the light on and off quickly.

The V2.0 lights haven't come out yet so I can't say for sure, but from what little I've been able to read, the V2.0 tailswitches are going to be different from the originals- as in not clicky at all.

It is my understanding that the tailswitches will be like the SF twisty tails, with the push button for momentary on and twist for steady on. In which case the L1T (V2.0) looks like it could be surprisingly competitive with the new Cree L1.

Of course I could be completely mistaken.

onthebeam

Enlightened
It is my understanding that the tailswitches will be like the SF twisty tails, with the push button for momentary on and twist for steady on. /QUOTE]

Yikes! Where did you hear that, Greg?

If it's not a true momentary clicky, I would have to return mine.

Also, from the pictures, I'm a little worried it won't tailstand to be used for candle mode. Anyone have any insight on that?

(Drumroll, please. . . I just hit post 800. My biggest claim to fame here might be a lot of dumb questions but, on the upside, I did organize the 2005 flashlight of the year thread.)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, is the tail switch: click on, click off, with momentary on ?
Gawd I hope this isn't another stupid twisty thing. It's bad enough it's an RB80.

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Yikes! Where did you hear that, Greg?

If it's not a true momentary clicky, I would have to return mine.

I read it somewhere. Don't remember where.

Don't want to alarm anyone, as I said it was just an impression i got from something I read somewhere, just as likely me misinterpreting a rumor started by someone who was confused. :)

But I am curious about the light.

clipse

Enlightened
I read it somewhere. Don't remember where.

Don't want to alarm anyone, as I said it was just an impression i got from something I read somewhere, just as likely me misinterpreting a rumor started by someone who was confused. :)

But I am curious about the light.

Well, reading the add on fenix-store.com it does look like you might be right. In fact it also says the 'experience' model will come with two tailcaps. The regular reverse clicky and the 'momentary' cap.

I for one would kinda apreciate a SF like momentary switch. It will be more reliable that many forward clickies out there.

Still looking forward to this light. :D

onthebeam

Enlightened
OK, David says two tailcaps so at least we can have a regular clicky when we want one. I think I'll stay with that route since the momentary also sticks out making it impossible to stand up in candle mode.