Help!!! What kind of led is this?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You all here know more about types of leds just by looking at them than I do. Here is a picture of the led in my new LighthawkLED lantern.
1145962704_94a335f587_o.jpg

It does not look like a Cree to me, but it is AT LEAST as bright as my Cree C2 and D-Mini. It does not have the purple tint though, just plain white.

Any help would be greatly apreciated. Brightstar's instructions do not say what it is, but it must be effecient because the light has 7 hours of runtime.

Thanks again for your help!

brad

edit: Here is a link to my review of the light with some beamshots vs. the D-mini and C2. It really seems to Bright to just be a 3 watt lux or something like that.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172392
thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah looks like the SSC P4 IMHO. The dome does look kinda discolored. They are usually white. That one looks kinda brownish. Maybe its being overdriven or just a bad SSC?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah looks like the SSC P4 IMHO. The dome does look kinda discolored. They are usually white. That one looks kinda brownish. Maybe its being overdriven or just a bad SSC?

Thanks for the help. I did not think of that because 1. I do not have any others, 2. I thought they were more in flood style lights. As to this led's color, It only had about a hour of use, but I was using dimmer incan room lighting for illumination for the shot. The camera was on a tripod with a second or two exposure. I could not get the reflector off, and any flashlight beam I sent into the reflector totally washed out the shot.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seoul Semiconductor P4. The brown color might be dome discoloration, but due to the fact that the phosphor still appears a normal yellow color, I think the brown discoloration is the silver on the heat sink slug tarnishing. I have had the same thing happen to luxeons.

Observe: Normal on the left, tarnished on the right.

tarnlux.jpg