HDS U60 Hard reset

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I'm having issues with my U60. When I click it once it turns on and then dims....sometimes. The button doesn't always seem to do what I want. Sometimes it seems like a lag or something. Other times it works fine. It also buzzes. A lot. I've tried fresh batteries several times.

I also have a b42xrgt that works perfectly so I know the correct way to click press and all that on a basic. I'm wondering if I somehow programmed my U60 by accident or something.

I can't find my manual and am having a hard time finding one on-line. What I would like to do is try a hard reset. Can anyone help? Also, does HDS still exist and do they offer service if there is a problem?

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Sounds like a switching issue.

Open her up, clean the contacts in the head and tail. Reinsert the battery and make sure the spring in centred and all should be good.

Jerry_S

Newly Enlightened
HDS sold/merged into Novatac, Then Mr HDS left Novatac and has HDSsystems going again. As part of the merger, Novatac acquired all of the HDS equipment and a commitment to provide warranty service for the EDC lights. To get a manual, I would E-mail HDSsyatems. the web site did have the manuals on line under a legacy products category but the legacy products category is gone from the web site. If you need warranty service or other help try e-mail contact with Novatac.com. I have seen in other posts that novatac is responsive to e-mail support. Good luck with your light.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try swapping tailcaps and see if the problem follows the tailcap or the body.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manual is here:
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcUltimateUsersGuide.pdf
or
[/SIZE][/FONT] http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:JUghLJCBFyoJ:www.hdssystems.com/EdcUltimateUsersGuide.pdf+hds+edc+ultimate+%22hard+reset%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Resetting Your Light
The only time the design of your light requires you to reset your light is: 1) to turn off
the Tactical Momentary option, 2) when changing battery packs or 3) when changing
battery chemistries. However, if your light ever gets into a non-responsive state, a
reset can be used to regain control.
There are two kinds of resets. A soft reset retains all of your settings. A hard reset
returns your light to the factory settings.
To perform a soft reset, remove the batteries, wait for 1 minute and reinstall the
batteries. A successful soft reset is indicated by your light turning on dimly for 1 second
and then turning Off.
To perform a hard reset, start by performing a soft reset. Before your light turns off,
press and hold the button down for 10 seconds. Your light will come on steady while
you hold the button and then turn off when it is time for you to release the button.
If you do not hold the button down until the the light turns off or if there is insufficient
power to save the settings, your light will not restore the factory settings and displays
the error flash sequence consisting of rapid flashing

I read somewhere that another way to perform a soft reset was to unscrew the tailcap with the light on. I always do this when changing batteries, and I always get the 1 second blink when I put the cap back on.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try your other tailcap, if that works, it's your old tailcap that is at fault, if that is the case, contact Jim at NovaTac [email protected]

Explain the problem and they will take care of you. As somebody else said, they are now responsible for HDS warranty issues.

Good luck! :)

CFU

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys. I did the reset and strangely it seems to be a little more consistent but still not cured. I swapped tailcaps and it still seemed to behave strangely leaving me to wonder what else it could be. It seems like a bad switch because sometimes it doesn't respond to a click at all. Other times it'll do stuff like I click it once to turn it on, click it once to turn it off, click it again to turn it on and it comes on and then dims to the next lowest level. Weird. I was used to my B42XRGT as far as runtimes and I guess I thought the U60GT just ran out of juice really fast because it is brighter and non-XR.

I'll have to send Novatac an e-mail and see what's up.

Has anyone dealt with them on HDS warrant issues?

One other interesting thing: It doesn't buzz nearly as bad as it did after i did the reset.

GregWormald

Enlightened
Did you do the cleaning?
HDS lights have a couple of signal routes from the tailcap to the electronics in the head and they all need to be clean and working well for the light to function correctly.
Clean the threads, the top and bottom of each section, the springs, the head contacts (all the head basically, including the outside ring) and the tail cap contacts with alcohol. Coat connections with a thin smear of Pro-Gold if available. Reassemble making sure the long spring touches the tailcap and is long enough to touch the head as well. Then do another hard re-set with a known good battery.
If that doesn't work then warranty service is likely needed.
Good luck.
Greg