Don't you just hate it when a mod goes bad right at the last minute?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, just wanted to vent. I spent about 6 straight hours on a mod and even went out to go buy some supplies and everything was going perfect until the very last moment. When I was putting it back together, I tried turning it on but apparently the current draw on the switch was too high and it blew out. Now I have a completely non functioning flashlight that was working fine before. :laughing: oh well. Thing took forever because the flashlight internal components and wires were all made precisely and putting it back together and soldering and everything was the biggest pain ever. It a flashlight with a built in rechargeable battery (3 X AAA ni-mh 900mah energizer), with the rear tail cap that removes to expose a cigarette outlet for the car to recharge with a Lux I as an emitter. It was a very nice light in my opinion which cost 40 bucks. It was regulated with a AMC7135 and the charging circuit does pulse charging as I measured and can detect when fully charged. I tried swapping it with a Luxeon K2 and direct driving it hoping I could get about 100 lumens from it. Well that's my story. Any others?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a beamshaper lens for my HDS and it got stuck in the end of the light. Couldn't get it out no matter how I tried. Had to break it with a punch and hammer. Pulled it out with a pick and somehow it didn't ruin the reflector. Very simple mod that went astray, oh well!

ginaz

Enlightened
freezer-popped my old T1. put a seoul in and re-assembled. the o-ring didnt fit right anymore. freezer-popped that baby again. took out the o ring and reassembled. now the optic rattled in the head. freezer-popped my darlin yet another time. tried some rtv compound to seat the optic. got it all over the optic. tried some unknown solvent to clean it.... bye bye optic.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I modded about a dozen lights (Mags and Vintage lights) using one of the DX converter boards (3V 700mAh) and was very happy with the results (tested on walks 10-30 minutes). I then decided to do a tailstand endurance test and found out the boards will fail at about 1 hour of continuous use on 2 brand new D cells unless they are heatsinked.... Time to rebuild a dozen lights :ohgeez:

One thing I found handy (for reworking mods...) is a thermal glue over at DX that can be removed without superhuman efforts unlike AA expoxy.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Been there, done that - I feel for you, man. :( Worst is when everything works perfectly, you pot the whole thing in epoxy, and the damn thing dies after the epoxy is cured... :hairpull: :rant:

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
Trying to build a 3xCree Mag mod.

Snipped the corners of the crees, wired/soldered everything together, verified connectivity, glued everything down to heatsink, then proceeded to break a soldered connection.

No big deal, right? Aargh! That #$#!@ heatsink sucks up all the heat from the solder gun and I cannot get the wire reattached. So, I overheat the emitter, get pissed-off after 20 failed attempts to resolder, and end up banging the solder gun tip to the cree dome. Aargh!

I then say, whatever, and try prying the emitter off of the heatsink, so I can resolder the connection. In the process, I break another connection.

That's it, I'm not messing around w/ these #%@#$ emitters anymore. My lack of soldering skills, lack of patience, and lack of steadiness dictate sticking w/ stars in the future.

baker

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I attempted to convert a 2 x 18650 Leef body to fit a M*glite D head. This involved sawing off the threads from a D size M*g body and gluing it on top of the Leef threads (SF M fitting). Unfortunately I didn't have the patience to file down the threads on the Leef body enough and tried hammering the parts together. Needless to say I destroyed the Leef body in the process, crushing the tail end. :ohgeez:

With hindsight, it all seems so obvious that; hammer + aluminium body = mangled mess. Oh well, I'll know better next time. It's a real shame though since the Leef body looked awesome with my Fivemega M*g D head.

Gryloc

Enlightened
I want to add by mentioning that I was working on a project for a friend and things went wrong and it was due to my clumsiness. I was cutting heatsink material from a copper plate with 18 pre-epoxied K2's. I did not think that I needed to cut it before I epoxied them. Oops. Oh well, I found a way to protect the LEDs from the copper bits anyway. I tackled it one weekend and I cut two corners cut using a Dremel (this is 3/16" copper -HA!), and decided to call it a night way too early in the morning. I was so shakey and jittery because it was so late/early, that I almost rushed to clean up my desk. Well, in the process, I was pulling on the cord of my soldering iron to put it away when it snagged my big, heavy headlight cluster and it fell a foot and a half from the computer tower (out of the way where I thought it was safe) face first onto the hard floor. :faint:
I think that I screamed a little :eek: ... :ohgeez: :ohgeez:...Then it sank in :( ... :mad:

Ahhhhh!!! I rushed over and noticed that only one K2 was damaged due to the slight angle of impact (the dome was squarshed). Those K2's are one tough mother! I decided to de-solder that LED and power up the rest (I had 6 parrallel banks of 3 series K2s, so 5 remaining banks should light up well). Well, only one bank lit up. :banghead:

Apparently the slugs of atleast one LED per bank shorted out against the heatsink. This caused 4 LEDs to get destroyed when powered up because the protective diodes shorted out or fused open. Bond wires could have fused, too. I have 5 dead K2's and a non-working light. Who knows how many other slugs are shorted to the ground, causing slight damage to the ESD diodes.

Needless to say, I could not repair things right away and I went to bed angry at myself. I put that project aside and ordered 6 replacement K2s. Unfortunately, it was put on the far back burner since classes resumed and I almost did not feel like continuing. I hope I get it finished since this was for a friend (its been going really slow :(). I might have to re-design the thing for him free of charge and use fewer high-efficiency LEDs like the Cree or Rebel... The whole even still haunts me. Sigh...

-Tony

kanarie

Enlightened
Just opened my LOD-CE for a Cree P4 to Q5 mod and made a few very nasty scratches on the "as good as new" coating.
next I found that everything inside was also glued together.After I was finished with taking the old Cree out it looked like a warzone.
Man I am MAD!