DX WF-800 Cree Q2 quick review.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi just a quick glance on DX WF-800 3W Cree Q2 which takes 2x18650 or 4xRCR123(7.4v-17v).
This light has similar beam profile to 3W Cree projection only that it can take wider voltage range and probably produces longer runtime (unconfirmed). The unit that i received has a perfectly centered emitter thus a nicer hotspot compared to 3W Cree projection which (the one I received) has slightly off centered emitter but at longer range its emitter mis-alignment doest not seems to effect its throw. Throw-wise i have to say it is similar to 3W Cree projection. Many asked how 3W Cree projection or WF-800 Q2 compared to Ultrafire C2, I would have to say Ultrafire C2 throw power is no where near the performance of these both flashlights. Frankly they are quite different animals. Mind you WF-800 is a massive beast, not practical for you EDC IMHO.

My personal opinion on Throw and hotspot Intensity (top is higher):
1. WF-800 3W Cree Q2 (Cree Q2 gave this light a slight edge over 3W Cree Projection otherwise a tie)
2. 3W Cree Projection P4
3. Eastward YJ
4. Ultrafire C2(bright spill hence lower hotspot intensity)

If you are looking for throw and size compromise (maybe EDC) here are my prefferences(1 is highest)
1. Eastward YJ
2. 3W Cree Projection
3. Ultrafire C2
4. WF-800 Cree Q2

ps. 3W Cree Projection and Eastward YJ come with 2 mode clicky.

Amp. Draw measure at the battery:
WF-800 3W Cree Q2: 2x18650(0.46A), 4xRCR123(0.3A)
3W Cree Projection: 1x18650(0.63A), 2xRCR123(0.64A)
Ultrafire C2: 2x18650(0.86A), 2xRCR123(0.63A)

Build quality:
They are all more or less the same.
WF-800 and 3W Cree Projection tail-cap are interchangeable.
WF-800 seems to use standard star emitter and quite easy to reach. The star is being held down by a screw so changing emitter is should be an easy task.

here are the beamshots taken with digital camera set to EV -0.7 and -2 to show hotspot.

BeamshotWF-800Q23WCreeProjection-1.jpg

Oops Ultrafire C2 is on the right most, forgot to move it on photoshop. :)
BeamshotWF-800Q23WCreeProjectionUlt.jpg

If you need a cheap 2 mode thrower and relatively small size light get the 3W Cree Projection, otherwise WF-800 Cree Q2 gives you a slightly brighter output and longer runtime that(unfortunately) come with a longer tube.

Sorry for any bad English :) hope you enjoy my mini-review.

Regards
Rizki

Last edited:

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Thanks this is the comparison I needed. How is the star held down in the Cree Projection? Is it just a plain normal sized star held down by screws?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size comparison to Ultrafire C2, DX U2 Style, 3W Cree Projection and WF-800 Cree Q2.

SizeCompare.jpg

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks this is the comparison I needed. How is the star held down in the Cree Projection? Is it just a plain normal sized star held down by screws?

On WF-800 i am sure that the star is normal size star, on 3W Cree projection i have to check that first.

I cant wait to put Q5 or even R bin on this light so easy!

Mash

Enlightened
rizky_p
Thank you for your review! Great to have comparative inforamtion of this sort.
Especially like your rating system, that way its easy to place things in order, and decice on one depending on our needs.
Please keep them coming!

lexina

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, rizky_p. DX also has the WF600 which looks similar to the Cree Projection except that it uses the Q2 and has a 2-stage tail-cap. This might be a good choice for those wanting a balance of size and throw. The size of the WF600 is in fact, practically identical to my cut-down Mag1C!

Btw, I have the WF400 and the light engine unscrews easily from the top using a needle nose plier making led mods very simple. I have already changed my led to a Q5. I wonder if the WF800's light engine is attached the same way?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you that already own the WF-500 Xenon Bulb version of this, DX now has a drop in module to turn the WF-500 into the WF-800.

Does anybody know if this Cree drop-in bulb for the Ultrafire WF-500 will also work in it's kissing cousin, the GP 500 Scorpion?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any difference in beamshot and hotspot size between WF-400 Q2 1x18650 version and its twin WF-400 3.6-9v? DX beamshot photo shows quite different profile.

I thinking of getting WF-400 3.6v-9v version and WF-600 version.

thanks

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok this picture should confirm that Cree Projection uses normal star and should be easy to swap with higher bin LED. Cant imagine when R bin LEDs are available and upgrade this throw monster light.:D

Cree Projection Star Exposed. WF-800 is using the same method.
CreeP4Starexposed.jpg

Cree Projection and WF-800 uses excatly the same reflector, so expect similar beam profile for both.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Thanks. That is exactly what I was asking about. Great review and was there a like a black thing covering the star like on the Ultrafire C2 or is this what you see when you remove the reflector? Now I kind of wish I would have waited for this review to get the Projection Cree instead of the C2.

lexina

Enlightened
Thanks. That is exactly what I was asking about. Great review and was there a like a black thing covering the star like on the Ultrafire C2 or is this what you see when you remove the reflector? Now I kind of wish I would have waited for this review to get the Projection Cree instead of the C2.

on my WF400, there was no black cover over the star and the whole light engine unscrews easily and drops out. i am guessing the WF600 and WF800 might be the same.

Mash

Enlightened
Are the WF800 and the WF600 copies, identical, or rebadged Super far thrower and Cree Projections? Or did they rename them when changing to Q2 to a more linear naming scheme?
They look pretty similar to me, perhaps those owning one can comment?
lexina, what do you think of your WF400? Was looking for something with a smaller bezel; your comments on this light will be appreciated!

lexina

Enlightened
lexina, what do you think of your WF400? Was looking for something with a smaller bezel; your comments on this light will be appreciated!

I also didn't get the WF600 because I wanted a bezel that would be bigger than a standard D26 bezel but smaller than a Mag. In the end, I bought both the WF400 and the U2-style Cree.

I prefer the styling of the WF400. The ridges on the bezel helps to stop the light rolling on a flat surface. The square body is similar to the SF C2 and is nice to hold. The light can tail-stand. The version I have is the 3.6v-9v version so I guess there is some regulation built-in. I didn't like the tint of the Q2 (slight green) so I fitted in a Q5.

On the other hand, the strengths of the U2-clone are: 1. it's brighter because it's driven at a higher current (DX quotes 1.2A) than the WF400 (measured at around 0.65A at tail-cap) 2. it has a nicer beam with no rings and the hotspot blends gradually into the spill unlike the WF400 which had a more distinct hotspot and a slight ring. Against these; there's a possibility the light is direct-drive and non-regulated since it can only accept 1 LiIon and no tail-standing capability.

Having said all that, I prefer the U2-clone (I just ordered another!) mainly because of the better beam. You can find a comprehensive review of the U2-clone as well as the popular Eastward YJ here:-

http://www.lightreviews.info/reviews.html

Hope the above helps.

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Oops, my second U2-clone just arrived and it's a disappointment! Much, much dimmer - I measured only 0.25A at the tail-cap! There's also a ring around the hotspot which is even more distinct than my WF400. Unlike my first U2-clone, this one had a shiny round sheet over the led to prevent shorting - much like the ones sold here:-

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2875

There are also 2 metal spacers under the light engine which are required to prop up the led so that it will protrude far enough into the reflector (these were absent in my first U2-clone).

Guess the QA is not up to par and it's still the luck of the draw!

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

On my Cree Projection and WF-800 Q2 the star is covered in shiny(chrome) plastic with adhesive on one side, removing it is really easy(no destructive method require) and can be re-attach after swaping the emitter.

lexina

Enlightened
Received my 2nd U2-clone and just edited my earlier post above.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my 2nd U2-clone and just edited my earlier post above.

You still lucky considering that i received my U2-Clone with broken switch :( still waiting for DX to send the replacement switch module.

ps. my U2-clone draws 0.6A at the battery.