New imProved Frogman Led Lenser

infoseeker

Newly Enlightened
So lets take look for the new Frogman from led lenser. (if im not mistaken only here in CPF the first)
7456-old model Frogman for Neon Yellow
7457-old model Froeman for black
7456III- new model Frogman for Neon Yellow
7457III- new model Froeman for black

2001467601381050108_rs.jpg

Now its now anymore a "turn the head" to switch on, its s magnetic switch
O-ring- now they make a dual/double (before its only one oring)

2001438839164480404_rs.jpg

in the pics its not noticeable but in actual i can say its 30% to 40% more bright

2001463112363604046_rs.jpg

i heard a rumors they are using now a cree for this model but some says its only a proto type cree but one thing for sure they improved the bulb to give more light

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked one of these up the other day. (Older version.) The magnetic switch is a great improvement because I have noticed that mine tends to flicker sometimes.

Not a bad light. Definately waterproof.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one too (new version), this uses a cree LED with a large TIR optic. I did a comparison with my SLPP

sizeqa9.jpg

2007 frogman against the SLPP 4AA Luxeon. Both use 4AA in a 2+2 configuration but the Frogman is 2cm shorter than the SLPP.

partsol3.jpg

Head, body and Cree emitter mounted on internal heatsink. The metal head is great for heatsinking but when assembled, there is a layer of plastic between the heatsink and metal head. This doesn't seem to affect the thermal path too much - head still gets warm quite quickly.

spillsc1.jpg

Spillbeam comparison at 20cm. (Frogman left, SLPP right). The Frogman has a fairly smooth spillbeam that is brighter at the centre and dims towards the outside. The spill beam is actually very wide in comparison to the SLPP. (picture doesn't show this too well)

hotspotll1.jpg

Hotspot comparison at 2m. (Frogman left, SLPP right). The TIR optic in the Frogman produces a slightly ringy pattern but throws considerably further than the SLPP. The ceiling bounce test reveals that the overall output is also higher than the SLPP but not by a huge amount.

Conclusion:
Seems like a worthy successor to my SLPP. You should definitely consider one of these before trying to Cree or Seoul your SLPP. I'm not a big fan of LED lenser in general but I do like the new Frogman.

pros:
60m waterproof
magnetic switch
excellent build quality
no rattling of batteries inside
TIR optic gives excellent throw
Very wide spillbeam
good heatsinking (I think)

cons:
TIR optic produces ringy hotspot (not so bad in real life use)
too much light backwash through holes in head - I blocked mine out with paint.
Can't tail stand

RUNTIME test to come later.

Last edited:

LG&M

Enlightened
Nice review, The switch is interesting. I wonder if they will upgrade their other lights.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: With Ansmann 2700s I'm getting 6hrs bright light followed by usable diminished output. An inspection of the insides reveals that the light is running direct drive through a resistor. This gives the typical rechargeable discharge curve. With alkalines I would expect gradual dimming but with longer runtime.

Advertised runtime is 50hrs. Sounds like complete BS to me :thinking:

Compared with the SLPP, brightness is slightly higher and runtime slightly longer. This is an improvement, but it's a little disappointing nonetheless considering that the Frogman is using a Cree. That resistor is using up a lot of the power. I reckon 3AA with a smaller value resistor would give the same brightness and runtime.

Replacing the resistor with something like a GD500 driver would be a straight forward mod and should improve efficiency.

infoseeker

Newly Enlightened
Update: With Ansmann 2700s I'm getting 6hrs bright light followed by usable diminished output. An inspection of the insides reveals that the light is running direct drive through a resistor. This gives the typical rechargeable discharge curve. With alkalines I would expect gradual dimming but with longer runtime.

Advertised runtime is 50hrs. Sounds like complete BS to me :thinking:

Compared with the SLPP, brightness is slightly higher and runtime slightly longer. This is an improvement, but it's a little disappointing nonetheless considering that the Frogman is using a Cree. That resistor is using up a lot of the power. I reckon 3AA with a smaller value resistor would give the same brightness and runtime.

Replacing the resistor with something like a GD500 driver would be a straight forward mod and should improve efficiency.

im just curious, how long the FROGMAN run for one set of battery?
and when it comes in diving, it gets better than the older version?

thanks

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello
nice work
with LED you can recen, and wher i get a Metal Head from , the body with optic i have
i have 2
1 with just is missing the LED and the Metal head, BASE,
2 Only housing

i was thinking to mod them a bit
a lot a bit

many thanks
S,

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello
me again
question i have still open