Recommendations Please Single CR123 Torch

robo21

Enlightened
I'm seeking recommendations for a good quality, multi-output, single CR123 flashlight. Preferably, but not necessarily with a clicky tail cap. So far, I like the P2D 100 but, of course, that's a twisty. However, it seems to offer good runtime and high output. High output is good.

Thanks in advance.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
novatac or hds are both single cells and are great lights the new novatac are 110-150$ but well worth it

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi robo21, the P2D has a clicky tailcap... and a twist head for use with multiple modes.

excerpt taken from fenix-store:

"Operation

Fully press to switch on and turn the bezel to select the General Mode or the Turbo Mode. A soft-press anytime while the light is on will change the brightness levels of a certain mode. Keep the light off for over 2 seconds and the light will turn completely off, restoring the regulation circuit to the default setting."

robo21

Enlightened
novatac or hds are both single cells and are great lights the new novatac are 110-150$ but well worth it

Quite a bit more than I had planned to spend but I will definitely take a look. Thanks.

hi robo21, the P2D has a clicky tailcap... and a twist head for use with multiple modes.

excerpt taken from fenix-store:

"Operation

Fully press to switch on and turn the bezel to select the General Mode or the Turbo Mode. A soft-press anytime while the light is on will change the brightness levels of a certain mode. Keep the light off for over 2 seconds and the light will turn completely off, restoring the regulation circuit to the default setting."

My mistake, :eek: right you are! That's good news. Now, are their any other candidates I should consider?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the correct CPF response is that it depends very much on your needs, how much you want to spend, etc.

Rather than say to you "here is the best light there is" because that's the one I have, how about I just list a few of the choices that seem good to me based on relatively recent, well reviewed flashlights? And maybe a few key characteristics of each that differentiates them? Then you can research what fits to your needs the best in more depth.

Cheaper but twisty - Hyperion CE-R. Main advantage is that it is small like the Fenix P1D CE, has similar modes and yet is cheaper. Strong max lumen output.

Simpler, well made, and clicky: the (new) Lumapower LM-303. Not as many modes (two modes), and of course a bit longer (as would be the case for most clickies), lower max lumen output.

Surefire L1: what can I say here? You should check it out, but of course it will be expensive and will have two modes. Be sure you check out the newest version (CREE LED I believe), there are several previous generations floating about. And tactical clicky.

The Novatac (evolved HDS but new company): this is very popular because the predecessors were well made and tough. Main advantage: can get it in 20 modes! (programmable interface), and tough. You can get a tactical version with a larger clicky. But: you are talking $150 bucks, or 3-4 decent other flashlights put together! And the cheaper lights are coming out much faster than a semi-custom light such as this one, so you'll be less efficient/have lower run-time and have less max output very quickly (in fact before you even buy this one!). So you better not mind being obsolete yet expensive.

Custom lights (McGizmo Ti-PD, Gatlight v3...). Now you are talking $450. Maybe it's too early to talk about such lights?

paulr

Flashaholic
The P2D is a clickie but I don't recommend it based on my trying out the very similar L1DCE. If you must have a 1x123 clickie and you want a computerized light, I'd go for something higher end, like an HDS/Novatac. In my opinion the best Fenix so far is the P1CE which is a twisty. I wish they'd make a 1AA version of it.

Rob187

Enlightened
In decending price order:

Gatlight V3 - $400
Novatac EDC120 - $150
Fenix P2D RB100 - $60

After that, forget it. Quality is worth paying for.

robo21

Enlightened
I guess the correct CPF response is that it depends very much on your needs, how much you want to spend, etc.

Rather than say to you "here is the best light there is" because that's the one I have, how about I just list a few of the choices that seem good to me based on relatively recent, well reviewed flashlights? And maybe a few key characteristics of each that differentiates them? Then you can research what fits to your needs the best in more depth.

Cheaper but twisty - Hyperion CE-R. Main advantage is that it is small like the Fenix P1D CE, has similar modes and yet is cheaper. Strong max lumen output.

Simpler, well made, and clicky: the (new) Lumapower LM-303. Not as many modes (two modes), and of course a bit longer (as would be the case for most clickies), lower max lumen output.

Surefire L1: what can I say here? You should check it out, but of course it will be expensive and will have two modes. Be sure you check out the newest version (CREE LED I believe), there are several previous generations floating about. And tactical clicky.

The Novatac (evolved HDS but new company): this is very popular because the predecessors were well made and tough. Main advantage: can get it in 20 modes! (programmable interface), and tough. You can get a tactical version with a larger clicky. But: you are talking $150 bucks, or 3-4 decent other flashlights put together! And the cheaper lights are coming out much faster than a semi-custom light such as this one, so you'll be less efficient/have lower run-time and have less max output very quickly (in fact before you even buy this one!). So you better not mind being obsolete yet expensive.

Custom lights (McGizmo Ti-PD, Gatlight v3...). Now you are talking $450. Maybe it's too early to talk about such lights?

Thanks for the extensive reply. And you are absolutely correct, I didn't refine my post by stating what my intended purposes might be, run time needs, budget, etc. My faulty post is due in large part to my sudden immersion into (and intense fascination with) torchdom and being overwhelmed with the numbers of flashlights on the market.

Thanks also for forcing me to clarify my mind somewhat as to what my goals are for this purchase. Maybe I was wrong in my thinking but I stated that I wanted CR123 because this battery seems to offer higher output and longer run time. I hope I am correct on this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. A compact carry around flashlight - single cell.
  2. Multiple settings with the high setting being top notch output.
  3. A quality lens that doesn't scratch easily.
  4. Good run time.
  5. Reliable switch whether twisty or clicky.
  6. No more than $60 unless spending a little more will yield a substantial improvement.
  7. I would like to avoid obsolescence by getting the most recent version - even if it means waiting for something about to be rolled out that's the latest and greatest.
Per your suggestions, I will definitely look at the CE-R, P1E CD, LM 303, and the more expensive models you outlined. I couldn't justify the expense of the custom models you mentioned but I am interested in seeing what makes them so costly.

Also, I found your statement "Rather than say to you "here is the best light there is" because that's the one I have, " refreshingly honest and insightful. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the "my (whatever) is the best and everything else is not as good" mentality in Internet forums, from autos to CD burners to you-name-it.

Thanks again!
Robin

robo21

Enlightened
The P2D is a clickie but I don't recommend it based on my trying out the very similar L1DCE. If you must have a 1x123 clickie and you want a computerized light, I'd go for something higher end, like an HDS/Novatac. In my opinion the best Fenix so far is the P1CE which is a twisty. I wish they'd make a 1AA version of it.

When you say "must have" 123, I should clarify: The reason I said 123 is that I believed, hopefully correctly, that the 123 would give me the highest output and longer runtime.

Thank you for your reply, I will be checking out the P1CE and maybe the HDS/Novatec but that is a lot more than I wanted to spend (I think).

robo21

Enlightened
In decending price order:

Gatlight V3 - $400
Novatac EDC120 - $150
Fenix P2D RB100 - $60

After that, forget it. Quality is worth paying for.

Thanks Rob, I agree. I'd rather buy a quality flashlight to begin with than a bunch of cheapies leading up to recognition that you get what you pay for and then a more expensive one. Already, I made a mistake with the 2 AA Luxeon which has wild variation in quality from unit to unit. I'm learning quick.

Thanks,
Robin

robo21

Enlightened
LiteFlux has their LF3 out. It looks very interesting. The features and price are nice. It actually have an option for a true user defined ultra low output level. If I didn't have my HDS, I'd consider the LF3.

review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171900

Thank you for the reply and the link to the review. That is indeed an interesting choice. A definite contender. I like the idea of an ultra low setting for extended run time or added discretion in special situations.

Thanks again,
Robin

paulr

Flashaholic
Robo, the P1CE is actually one of the cheapest lights mentioned so far (about $10 less than the P2DCE). It doesn't meet the requirements that you stated because 1) it's a one-level light; 2) it's a twisty not a clickie. But in my view it is a higher quality light, and I'd rather carry a separate light for low-power use. L0DCE is nice if you want multi-level; Arc AAA is also a CPF classic.

In my view the CR123A cell is not that great a power source. Its energy capacity and density, and its weight and volume, are all about the same as a 1.7 volt L91 lithium AA cell, but an AA light can also run on commodity rechargeables, or alkalines in a pinch. The L1DCE, L2DCE, and P2DCE are actually all the same light except for the battery tubes (which are interchangeable). I way prefer AA lights to 123 lights so I wish Fenix would make an AA version of the P1CE.

Last edited:

robo21

Enlightened
Robo, the P1CE is actually one of the cheapest lights mentioned so far (about $10 less than the P2DCE). It doesn't meet the requirements that you stated because 1) it's a one-level light; 2) it's a twisty not a clickie.

In my view the CR123A cell is not that great a power source. Its energy capacity and density, and its weight and volume, are all about the same as a 1.7 volt L91 lithium AA cell, but an AA light can also run on commodity rechargeables, or alkalines in a pinch. The L1DCE, L2DCE, and P2DCE are actually all the same light except for the battery tubes (which are interchangeable). I way prefer AA lights to 123 lights so I wish Fenix would make an AA version of the P1CE.

Your rationale is sound, it's just that I thought I'd get more lumens and runtime with the 123's. I will have to open my mind and look at AA lights as well.

Thanks,
Robin

xiaowenzu

Banned
Quite a bit more than I had planned to spend but I will definitely take a look. Thanks.
I've got a Novatac 120T and it's AWESOME. It's much brighter than the P2-DCE and other similarly rated lights because the Lumen output is measured from the lens, not the emitter. It not that expensive considering it comes with a lifetime warranty - now that's confidence! :)

robo21

Enlightened
I've got a Novatac 120T and it's AWESOME. It's much brighter than the P2-DCE and other similarly rated lights because the Lumen output is measured from the lens, not the emitter. It not that expensive considering it comes with a lifetime warranty - now that's confidence! :)

OMG, you guys are eroding my financial conservatism! I'm starting to rationalize spending more money. :laughing: The thing is that the Nova Tec lights really are awesome looking. Now if I can find some beam shot comparisons...

xiaowenzu

Banned
OMG, you guys are eroding my financial conservatism! I'm starting to rationalize spending more money. :laughing:

Beamshots comparisons here they come!:

http://www.cpfreviews.com/reviews.php

Notice the Novatac 120's are significantly brighter than the other similar offerings.

heheh it's not that expensice when you think of it this way:

Eg, one of my friend bought a couple of Fenix's L2DCE's, and a few cheap dealextreme crees. Now, he has not enough MONEY left to purchase that Lovely Novatac 120-P he's been eyeing. :shakehead Well me, I tend to skip cheap lights so I can save up for the real goodies. Now with all that money saved, I've got myself the Novatac 120T!! hehehe :D

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just to expand your horizons a bit, let me bring this light into the mix (then I'll explain why):

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166478

1. Compact, single cell light: This could easily fit in a pocket, fanny pack, glove box, belt holster etc., and technically it can run on 1x18650 rechargeable battery (or two CR123, OR two RCR123 batteries, very versatile).

2. Multiple settings, with very high top output: BINGO, your choice of a 5 mode, or two mode (I like the 2 mode because it will run on 1x18650 OR 2 CR123 primary batteries ... the 5 mode can only use 1x18650).

3. Quality Lens: Yep.

4. Good runtime: How about over 2 hours at close to 200 lumens, or about 20 hours on the low level.

5. Reliable switch: Hmm.... twisties tend to be more reliable, but clickies are generally preferred for ease of use... this has a forward clicky.

6. No more than $60: $65.50 shipped

7. No obsolescence: Ahhhhh, here is where this light shines! It utilizes a user replaceable, industry standard P60 light module that simply drops into the light. When newer, brighter, better LEDs become available.... and they will become available, just buy the new LED module for less than half the cost of a new light, and you are in business again with the latest and greatest!

Here is a review:

http://www.lightreviews.info/dereelight_cl1h/review.html

I don't currently own this light, but only because I recently spent all my light money on the NovaTac 120P (which is a seriously fun pocket light, worth the extra money to a techie like me). However, I've been following this light closely, and thought you should take a look at it for another perspective on possible directions to take. Happy hunting!