Aspheric + TLE-6EX mag help

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have a 4D with a Terralux TLE-6EX ,tonight I installed my 50mm 35 aspheric lens and its awful.
Ive mounted the lens on front of the bezel and every other way i can think of to improve things to see if this will help the focal length, whatever i do i get a poor beam and probably less light that when i use the regular lens and reflector.

any help is much appreciated as i was expecting quite big things from this but its provided very little.
many thanks

Steve

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
When used in conjunction with the original Mag reflector the aspheric lens improves the throw but does not provide a very good overall beam.You can adjust the beam somewhat but you will not get a great beam.If you are using the lens without the reflector there will be a large rounded spill but no throw.The effect of the aspheric lens is interesting and usefull but will not be suitable for everyone.

shooter08

Newly Enlightened
You need to have the lens 35mm away from the light source. The easiest way to do that is to use the reflector the beam will then focus from a tight square spot to a very large round spot. Also the spot will have a dark circle around it The round side needs to be pointed out if you didn't do that.

Hope this helps.

Dave

JamisonM

Enlightened
Heh, I ordered 3 different lenses from surplus shed and tired using them with my 4D maglite with one of Gene's drop-ins installed to see which one would give me best results. I was really underwhelmed by all three. They all did increase throw, but not so much to warrant installation over the current UCL in the maglite unless you wanted the look. The light alone and without a aspheric lens already does a great job at putting light out there. Really, to get best results from these things, looks like a cree is your best bet. Maybe I'll build a cree based maglite sometime in the future?