To those who are self-employed

LightBen

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I was recently "let go" from my job of three years as an electrical engineer (along with the head of electrical engineering, the head of the quality department, and numerous others). The company simply ran out of money to cover payroll from what I shall (generously) call gross mismanagement and serious misapplication of captial.

I have made the decision to become self-employed. I don't mind working hard for myself, but I can't stand the idea of going back to an environment where I get yelled at by someone who isn't actually my boss for being 3 minutes late (at the end of an hour-long commute. He actually asked me if I was going to make up the 3 minutes! Come on, I was a salaried engineer, not an hourly employee).

The unemployment office in NJ has a program for those who qualify that allows them to take 60 hours of instruction over 6 weeks at a community college on starting a business--writing a business plan, marketing, legal, book keeping, taxes, etc. Assuming I meet the qualifications (there's no way to know before you receive your letter), this course should help me with the basic mechanics of becoming self-employed.

This brings me to my main question: those of you who are or have been self-employed, can you give me any general advice or wisdom? Was it a good decision for you, or were you happier working for someone else? What did you do about health insurance? Any words of advice, stories, gotchas, etc. are welcome.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
First - I hope you have good money in the bank - it WILL take a while till you have positive cash flow - can you deal with that

Second - marketing - plan on HOW you will market your services, and plan on spending about 25-30 percent of your time doing marketing

Third - "Overhead time" - you will eat up a lot of time with overhead - paying bills, sending invoices doing the above said marketing etc

You know what they say about being your own boss? There is NO problem working 1/2 days - the problem is deciding which 12 hours you want to work

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
KC2IXE has some good advice!

In 2004 I quit my day job to become a full time government contractor. After two years of that the stifling boredom of routine paperwork got to me, so I went back to my previous industry, which is business writing.

Two years of working on my own really helped with my marketability as far as the job search though; right now I'm making almost twice as much as I was three years ago for basically the same work.

cy

Flashaholic
if you are the paycheck to paycheck type of person. then being in business for yourself is not for you.

one must be able to sustain up and down cash flow situations. good credit is a must, unless of course you inherited a sizable chunk of assets. every situation is a little different.

as it's already been pointed out... get ready to wear multiple hats.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a similar position, tired of the continual gross mismanagement at the various companies I've worked for over the years. I make less money now than the highest paid job I was ever offered, but I make way more than the highest paid job I could have stood to keep ;)

All that being said, dont be afraid to do a little job hunting while you're applying for this class and whatnot. You might find that you can make the jump over the heads of those asshats in middle management, get paid to do a job rather than be meat behind a punch clock, and actually enjoy it.

If you're the kind who is going to worry continually from month to month about the paycheck, then dont bother. Some months I make a nice living, other months it comes to almost nothing. But I got over the hump of worrying about it and trust from one to the other (and it doesn't hurt that my wife works as well ;) )

Good Luck!

Alpine

Newly Enlightened
I was a self employed consultant for a while and enjoyed many things about it. Working from the comfort of home, setting my own hours, not answering to a boss, and the money was good as long as there were contracts to be had. The downside was the avalanche of paperwork necessary to operate a company myself, and the fact that the hours I set were usually long ones. I'd strongly advise forming some sort of corporation, which increases paperwork but has many benefits. This also helps keep business and personal accounting very separate.

Definitely go for that business starter course you mentioned. It is a good reality check to make sure what you want to do is really possible. Look in your area for a small business "incubator" where you can find resources and networking. Often there is a chapter of SCORE in the area where you can find advice from retired business folks.

Effective use of time is tough if you're working from home on your computer. I found it best if I got up and showered and dressed for work just like I was having to drive in to the office. It took a few months to learn the discipline to keep working when the temptation and opportunity to goof off was ever present. It can be done, and can be parleyed into a larger company if the work comes in. I had an acquaintance who knew the right person and was awarded a large, long term contract that allowed him to expand his one-man operation overnight to a 10 person company and take home 6 figures. His job became schmoozing with his client and looking for others to schmooze for still more work.

As for myself, I was eventually offered a job by a customer based on my past performance as a contractor, and now make lots more money than I did before, without the hassle. But I sometimes wish I'd been the guy to know that right person in the right position to give me a big contract and let me be the CEO of my own operation!

Best of luck!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Wow, you got bothered for being three minutes late? I used to be that late almost every day. My boss occasionally gave me grief about out, but usually only when I was over 30 minutes late.

Anyway, something similar happened to me when I was laid off in September 1990. The company decided to close their NYC branch so everyone had to go. Although I have an EE degree I was unable to get a job in my field without relocating, so I took any job I could get. The job I was laid off from was repairing taximeters. I was actually the only one the company wanted to keep, but it would have meant relocating to Virginia. Since I refuse to live any place I need a car, that was out. Also, they didn't even offer me a raise. There's no way I could have lived on my own taking home about $325 a week, even in a cheaper state like Virginia. Anyway, after getting laid off I started job hunting for a while. All that was available paid $8/hour or less (I had been making $10.97/hour plus about 10 hours overtime weekly). Besides that, being a night person I was sick of being tired all the time from trying to fit my life to a day schedule. I decided I was going to go into business for myself. As a plus, my former boss bought the NYC shop where I had worked. He wanted me to repair meters at home as an independent contractor. As time went on I started designing various electronic devices he needed. Even though I wasn't and still am not making much, I had positive cash flow from day one. Best of all, I was actually doing something I went to school for, albeit on a very limited level. And I could set my own hours (this is the best part since shift work makes me feel like a robot).

The main factor which enabled me to do what I did is that I live with my parents (still do, only my father is deceased). This took any pressure off as far as worrying about expanding the business rapidly. Also, I was able to save the equivalent of about two years take-home pay prior to getting laid off. I'm a saver by nature, so I took advantage of the fact that I didn't have housing/food expenses. I "pay" my way at home by doing whatever needs to be done around the house. Unfortunately, the fact that I lived at home has made me lazy as far as trying to expand the business. I finally got another customer last year so that I'm not dependent upon just one person. Also, I have several ideas in the pipeline which I will be putting into action. My goals are fairly modest-I just want to be able to make what I might on a regular full-time job. Since I calculate my rates based on earning roughly $40 to $60 an hour I will be fine if I can average 20-30 hours a week work. Because of my carpal tunnel syndrome (another reason I didn't look for work) I really can't work much more on a continual basis anyway. Long term I could probably do work where I could bill at $100+/hour but I obviously need to secure the customers first. I basically rely on word of mouth and my connections. eBay will be another resource I may use to sell any new products I make. Overall the only downside right now to working for myself is the limited income, but to some extent I only have my own laziness to blame for that.

As far as health insurance, I don't have any nor do I ever plan to have any any. First off, I couldn't afford it. Second, I try to keep myself as healthy as possible. Third, I do have enough saved to cover any reasonable expenses. I figure most of the time when someone my age (44) requires extensive medical care it's on account of an accident. If the accident is someone else's fault then they will be legally liable to pay for my medical care. If it's my fault I'm SOL but then I do try to be careful, and I'm not a clumsy person by nature. I personally think the need for health insurance is exaggarated. The people who need it most are usually the elderly who are far more likely to get seriously ill, and they have at least Medicare. The things most likely to affect a younger person, like broken bones or dental care, can be paid for out of pocket (I paid for $7000+ in dental care about 14 years ago).

Finally, let's talk a bit about taxes. Don't be in a hurry to set yourself up as a corporation unless you get fairly big (I made the mistake of incorporating when I didn't need to). You can file Schedule C as an independent contractor and save on the annual corporation fees. If your tax liability for the year is over $1000 you'll also need to make quarterly estimated tax payments (I personally haven't run into this problem yet). As for when to incorporate, my rule of thumb is when the Social Security taxes I pay will be significantly more than the annual corporation fees. By filing as an S-corp, and taking the corporate profits as compensation (i.e. no salary), you don't have to pay Social Security tax. However, you usually have to pay an annual fee to the state to maintain your corporation (it was about $500 for me). The upside to doing it this way is you only pay Social Security in years when you don't earn much. Because of the way the system is set up (biased towards low-wage earners), you get the most return of what you put in that way. You *don't* want to be paying Social Security taxes when you're earning $50,000 a year but it's a good idea if you're only earning $5000 or so. You'll still get your 4 work credits, and once you have 40 credits you'll get at least some retirement benefits. I'd also recommend opening an IRA each year. I do a Roth. There's no immediate tax writeoff but when I'm over 59.5 I can take out everything tax-free.

Overall, if you're the kind of person who can work well independently, and can manage money, then self-employment can be a good thing. Also, in your particular field jobs aren't very common so you might be left with three choices at this point-work anything you can get (i.e. underemployment), relocate (usually not a good option), or self-employment. All the best to you whatever you decide! After being self-employed for over 16 years there's no way I'd ever work for someone else again. I can't stand typical corporate nonsense like counting minutes, or politics, or commuting to work.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what they say about being your own boss? There is NO problem working 1/2 days - the problem is deciding which 12 hours you want to work

No kidding. People hear that you run your own business and assume you can get whatever day off you want, whenever you want. Sure, depending on what you're doing, there are times when the full extent of your plans for the day involve getting out of bed to pee. What most don't see are the days when you get up at 4:30AM, work solid until midnight, and then fall into bed(or a couple times in my case, tilt back the seat of my truck) only to get up and do it again four and a half hours later. The work HAS to get done, and when you're the entire company, there's only one choice about who has to do the work.

Good luck. I could never go back to having a boss. :buddies:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
What most don't see are the days when you get up at 4:30AM, work solid until midnight, and then fall into bed(or a couple times in my case, tilt back the seat of my truck) only to get up and do it again four and a half hours later. The work HAS to get done, and when you're the entire company, there's only one choice about who has to do the work.
Yep, that's happened to me many times. Self-employment is often feast or famine. There might be 3 weeks of virtually nothing to do, and then suddenly you need to go 50 hours with no sleep to meet a deadline (often because a part doesn't come when you expect it to). Anyone who is a 9-to-5 person should definitely forget self-employment.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
As far as health insurance goes, it can be had fairly cheaply depending on the plan you choose.

If you don't go to the doctor much, it makes no sense to get a plan with all kinds of copays. Without those, you can get a plan for about $60 a month to cover accidents, and pay a ~$2000 deductible. Expensive, but not as expensive as paying to get an appendage reattached yourself, or covering expenses from a serious illness.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I predict this will be one of the longer threads.

I have credentials. I've failed two de novo business and had two be very successful.

95% of de novo businesses fail. almost all fail because of undercapitalization, not lack of planning, marketing, skill or hard work. They simply didn't have enough money at start up.

As an engineer, you have a highly marketable, portable skill set.

The gospel according to BIGIRON is this -- get another job and work to establish a business around that steady paycheck. You might find it's not for you or you may find an existing business you can step into or you might find a business niche that you had never considered before.

Also, don't attempt to establish a business around a cherished hobby. If you fail, you'll probably have spoiled any future pleasure from the hobby. Don't attach your name to the business -- a stigma you don't need if you fail, particularly in a small community or narrow business spectrum.

Earlier post suggested incorporating. Talk to an accountant and attorney about your particular state laws. In most states, small businesses have no need for incorporation. There's just a bunch more paperwork, taxes and headaches and no real-world benefits.

Good luck. I hope you do it and are one of those 5%'ers that are wildly successful.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who is a 9-to-5 person should definitely forget self-employment.

Not entirely...............there's a lot one could do in their off hours, while still having the safety of a full time job. It wouldn't be the same as a full time income, but could supplement income easily.

I used to buy lawnmowers, generators, chainsaws, and other engine driven equipment from garage sales or the scrap metal yard. Fix them up and sell them. I'd haul off cars for the scrap metal and sell some of the parts, or do some welding or fabrication. I moved up to buying cheap cars, fixing them up, and selling them. Not at all worth my time anymore, and the income was by no means equivalent to a full time job, but it did help. There's always some little thing someone can do on the side.

Time management and money management are key, without those there's nothing. :buddies:

watt4

Enlightened
while your skills are still fresh, sign up with and work for some local temp service agencies. you might get an hourly raise and like it. ;)

start the new business on the side.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to catch it for leaving 2 hrs early from the office. Nobody noticed that I arrived at the office 3 hours early because... nobody else was there that early. I was just avoiding the traffic and didn't want to waste 3 hours of my day when I could cut that down to 1 by a simple phase change. It was a consulting job so it was really only supposed to matter what I got done and how many hours I put in. It mattered a little maybe, but the whole office got laid off shortly after I got laid off with a few others.

I got laid off during the crash of the Internet wave way back in the 2002+ range. I went back to school and took some grad courses. That helped me get some much better independent consulting jobs.

I'd say to heed the advice that it takes very, very much longer than you might think to start things on your own. There's just quite a lot to get rolling, as well as building a customer base and such.

It's very nice to work independently though, and I nearly never get sick now. When working in the "corporate box" I used to get sick all the time. Ironically, I have a large health insurance firm that I help with database development and when I get a contract there, work in their corporate box, I get sick all the time again. I think the OSHA fresh air regulation is like 3% or something useless like that. I'd think it should be around 10 times that to be healthy. I really wouldn't want to go back to being in a cubicle again.

Go for it if you can, and if you're comfortable with uncertainty, but don't fool yourself that it'll take off right away unless you already have a contract or two lined up and have other potentials in the wings.

I HOPE IT GOES GREAT FOR YOU!!! :)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
A couple of independent bits, some of some of it my own, much of it acquired, in no particular order:

Get a lawyer and a accountant. Anything involving money big enough to be a move, check with both of them. Entering/exiting a job qualifies.

There are three basic business approaches, 1) selling yourself (consultant), 2) selling other people, and 3) selling things. 1 is the easiest, 2 & 3 (one or both) are how you make money. Make a name for yourself and you can scale into 2. To make crazy money, make something that costs nothing to make copies of (software/asp). The great thing about 1 is that if you have to much work, just raise your prices.

As an employee, time works in your favor. You are selling your time so the longer anything takes, the more money you make doing it (weird, I know). Starting a business, time is your enemy. The longer anything takes, the sooner you run out of money and the more likely competitors are to push/keep you out of the market.

Cash (especially cash flow) is king. A customer doesn't pay you on time, you can't pay your vendors or employees. Double your output (service or product) without the capital to carry you through and you get caught off at the knees. Burn through your capital for to long and it won't matter how good you are.

Figure out how to network and network every day in every situation. No amount of technical skill can substitute for knowing the right person. While you're at it, get a mentor - someone with zero invested interest who can show you the ropes.

Diversify your income. Have a part time job, dividend yields, working spouse, working kids, big customers, small customers, multiple products. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. This is about more than just money, this is also emotion. When you feel completely dependent on something, you'll act like.

Take advantage of free labor. Someone offers help, take them up on it. The worst that happens is you do what you would have done in the first place.

If you want partners, find out what "skin in the game" means, and ensure everyone has it. Make sure there is only one person in authority of any one aspect of the business, even if its not you. And remember, partners who are friends is easier than friends who are partners.

Find an author called Joel Kurtzman

1) make it
2) deliver it
3) sell it
4) share it

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Actually, working for someone else is the very definition of putting all your eggs in one basket. When I was an employee I hated the fact that my pay was limited. The only way I could make more was when overtime was available.

Diesel_Bomber said:
Not entirely...............there's a lot one could do in their off hours, while still having the safety of a full time job. It wouldn't be the same as a full time income, but could supplement income easily.
My comment was referring to the types of 9-to-5 people who are waiting by the time clock to punch out at 4:55. These types will never even work overtime, much less do something in their off hours. Rephrasing my comment, if an 8 hour day is sancrosanct, then a person had best forget self-employment. I know lots of people who refuse to work more than 8 hours a day. At my brother's place they had a vote on going to three 11-hour, 40 minute days instead of the current five 7 hour days. Same number of hours per week but with the advantage of only having to commute three times a week instead of five. Guess what? He was the only one who thought it was a good idea. Most people who don't get anywhere in their own business are those who carry the 8 hour day mentality over.

A couple of more suggestions to the OP:

1) Definitely avoid any type of business where you need to rent an office or store. That could easily mean a negative cash flow. The beauty of a home business is that you need to pay for your residence regardless.

2) Avoid having employees, at least in the beginning. It's too much extra paperwork and hassle. In my case (designing, and making electronic devices) if I had more business than I could physically handle I know some reputable places which will load parts on PC boards to save me the bother. A taxishop owner friend of mine was using employees to build boards. He decided to go the other route. Less hassle, better quality of work, and no need to get stuck paying people even if you don't have enough work for them.

3) Learn about taxes and legal aspects of running a business. Down the road, it may make sense to hire a CPA or lawyer, but for a one-man operation that's usually not needed. I got the usual from people that I would need to hire a CPA ($$$) each year to do my taxes. Well, I've been doing them for 16 years with no problems. For my type of business, the hardest part is just keeping track of expenses. You do that during the course of the year, and come tax time it's easy. Too many make the mistake of just throwing receipts into a box, and then carting the box off to a CPA a week before the return is due.

4) You can avoid the need for lawyers if you choose your customers wisely. I trust the few people I do business with enough to not even bother with contracts, and I have a boiler-plate NDA (non-disclosure agreement) in case I show anybody something potentially patentable. That's all I need. I feel potential customers out. If someone seems like the type to sue me if something goes wrong, or hands me a 50 page contract filled with legalease which tells me they're sue-happy, I refuse to do business with them.

5) If you sell a product you make try to stick to wholesaling. While it's true you'll make less per unit, you'll also avoid the hassle of dealing with hundreds or thousands of different customers. You'll also avoid the need to collect sales tax since the wholesaler is reselling the items. It's easier for me to sell large orders to two or three customers than to deal with shipping hundreds of packages. I may make more overall, but I suspect I would put in many more hours and make less per hour.

Skylighter

Enlightened
Ben,

I highly recommend you make the jump to self employment. The hardest part is choosing what to do. People are scared away from business plans because they think they need to fit some format. It is easier in that. Get out a notebook and write to/for yourself what you plan on doing in 1 month, 6 months, 1yr, 2yr, and 5yrs. In a seperate section, make a solid financial plan that is realistic. In fact, stay conservative in all your numbers.

You will probably be really poor for the first 2-3 years while working non-stop. If you make it past that, you will be beyond the learning curve and will probably be glad you made the jump.

My final suggestion would be to get a good business accountant on the first day. Let them set up your books and teach you how to do it right. You should also let them incorporate the business and make your tax filings. This is money well spent.

FASTCAR

Banned
The real story

Rule #1 Don't go legit for as long as possible...cash is king
Sell somthing with high demand and high repeat orders.
Place ADs all over.Find out what you market reads and place your AD there.
Low overhead is key.

Work alone as long as possible. Others are morons and will NOT work as hard as you.

Every person wants to be your friend for a deal.You will hear non stop : hook me up with a deal and I will send mad people your way.
Real life friends from your new work will be FEW.In 13 years and 50 000+ orders (many in person)..I call 2 actual friends.

When your ready to go legit, get DBA and tax ID ASAP.
Goto New Brunswick and make sure no other person has your name registered.

Learn in advance how: weekly,monthy and quarterly tax forms work.

And the most important.Talk to a very good tax guy. ( my sisters hubby is the head tax guy for sony america)

WRITE OFF EVERY POSSIBLE THING !!! car, gas, strip cubs, food.mileage ect ect ect.
Find out what you can write off and do it.Go crazy with this.
Each year I write off 2 hefty bags of crap.

KEEP TRACK of all recipts. Save every slip of paper.

Get cards and shipping stick on labels ASAP.
Learn about Drop Shipping, and why it is your best friend.

This WILL NOT be easy.Somthing like 90% of new start ups fail for a reason.

Man the phone 24/7..I still do this.
Carry your work phone always.Cut your grass with it, shower with it, sleep with it and eat with it.

That 1 order you missed could have been the big one.

And last : Many people will nickle and dime you to death.
People price shop.
I try to lowball and have better volume.
Spend the extra time to talk to people, get a rep as a good guy.
Many come back just for that reason.

**Super secret **

Like it or not, sex sells.Use pics or real hot girls, when and how ever possible to help sell ( whatever).

Read the book : Art of war

My 2 cents

tedjanxt

Enlightened
This brings me to my main question: those of you who are or have been self-employed, can you give me any general advice or wisdom?

Save *all* receipts, no matter how insignificant, and file your taxes quarterly instead of annually...