Fenix L2T v2.0 Rebel Hissing

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else noticed their Fenix L2T v2.0 (or any other of their newer Fenix Flashlights, CE or Rebel editions) making a high pitched hissing or buzzing noise when on the highest setting? Not terribly loud, but definitely audible.

I got my L2T v2.0 rebel today, which is the first Fenix I've owned since they abandoned the Luxeon III, and the noise it made on high mode caught me a little off guard. Very bright light though :p.

REparsed

Newly Enlightened
Can't hear anything from The P1D CE I have, although if I place it close to an AM radio I can hear RFI when it's on high.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That sound might be from the transistor or inverter(it's some electrical component) switching on and off rapidly and causing some vibrations.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked my L1D CE - I can hear that sound, but only when I hold it next to my ear. It's pretty normal for new LED lights (I think it's coming from the inverter or something like that?).

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
That sound might be from the transistor or inverter(it's some electrical component) switching on and off rapidly and causing some vibrations.

Would you say this is a sign of a defective transistor or inverter, or is it to be expected?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's expected and you don't have to worry about this at all.
This sound is much louder on my SF A2, I first thought it's coming from the tailcap but it's the circuit that generates this sound (and every A2 makes this).
I am not an electrician but the sound comes from transformers/inverters, it's the same sound when you stay close to a big transformer near power lines.