Garrity Stainless Steel 2AAA LED Penlight KM200G

Siriusguy

Newly Enlightened
For a grand total of $6.99 and sales tax I have picked up at my local Orchard Supply Garrity's version of the two AAA penlight. This supplements my current collection of LED lights headed by a Fenix L2T-CE (generally in my car), an ARC-P (carried in a key case), a Maglight 3D converted to LED (underneath my bed), a small Gerber single AA Infinity Ultra (usually in my travel kit for hotel emergency use), and an X-light Micro (carried on my car key chain.)

Needless to say this is the least expensive of the six, build being stainless steel tube, front section blue plastic with a Nichia LED, and a rear on-off blue plastic switch, which has an integral shirt pocket clip. It's a fraction longer than the Fenix, but of course slimmer. Weight with the two alkaline AA's supplied is 2.05 oz, less than the Fenix with its two AA's at 3.75 oz., more than the ARC-P at 0.85 oz., a fraction less than the very sturdy 2.15 oz. Gerber. Its likely too heavy to be comfortably carried in a shirt pocket.

But, that's not why I bought it. It's intended for carry in my medical bag, as a pupillary reflex checking light, part of every complete neurological examination. The "throw" seems to equal my Arc-P, which I have recently used for that purpose, or perhaps the Fenix on its Low setting. The overall field of coverage however is much narrower, but for this purpose, that's not a problem.

The greater length of the light also makes it a good choice for this specific purpose, and the tail clickswitch is better for such than a twist switch. One often has to keep a patient's eyes open with one hand, so one-hand operation of the light is preferable. I don't like relying on the flashlights that nurses may or may not have available bedside, typically larger 2D units with incandescent bulbs, brightness often variable.

Welch Allyn makes a $37 halogen light that would be equally well-suited for this purpose, more elegant. But, I'll keep the $30 difference, not to mention I'd not like to lose an expensive light if I ever get distracted late one night in an emergency room. Tentatively, the Garrity looks like a good choice for any physician, for a nurse, or for an EMT. The only downside for medical usage is that I'll have to remember NOT to use it near an MRI scanner, given that the tube is ferromagnetic.