L4 or MilkySeouled L1?

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
I am torn between these two lights. I love the (Gen II Optic) L1, but want a light with more oomph. The F04 beamshaper lives on my L1, and I love the fact that I can get throw or flood with this combo. The truth is, throw is not that important to me. I don't care about impressing anyone with throw, so I like a nice floody light, which is much better for normal use for me.

I also like the fact that a milky'ed L1 with a ultra low tailcap option gives a nice dual level light that I can use while dark adapted:candle:, or have an L4-type light on high with the beamshaper. :rock:

Does anyone have experience with both lights that can give me some advice? The other factor is timing. I can get an L4 tomorrow, but I have sent Scott (Milky) 2 PMs and one e-mail over the past month and have not gotten a reply. He must be swamped, and I don't want to wait another month for light.

Will a ML1 give me the throw I want and still act like an L4 if I use it with the beamshaper?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
An ML1 will cost you more than an L4 but it's a better setup IMO. Only 1 cell and it runs cooler and will last a long time on low. Scott has been on vacation for a couple weeks or so. I don't know how long it will take to get one but they come up for sale on b/s/t also. Lighthound sells 3v rcr cells that fit the L1. You won't really need a beamshaper with an ML1 but you can use it as a bezel protector. IMO the ML1 is one of the best lights availible for its intended purpose.

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
An ML1 will cost you more than an L4 but it's a better setup IMO. Only 1 cell and it runs cooler and will last a long time on low. Scott has been on vacation for a couple weeks or so. I don't know how long it will take to get one but they come up for sale on b/s/t also. Lighthound sells 3v rcr cells that fit the L1. You won't really need a beamshaper with an ML1 but you can use it as a bezel protector. IMO the ML1 is one of the best lights availible for its intended purpose.
The incremental cost for me will actually be lower, as I already have 2 L1s. Thanks, I didn't know Scott was on vacation. I'll cut him a break. ;)

whippoorwill

Enlightened
I have one ML-1 and another L1 being modded as we speak. The L1 in the SF version was useless,IMO. I have the L4 and it is a great light, but I think that you would get more use out of a ML-1. I know I have. It is the light that sits on my bedside table. A place of honor!

I really don't think you will need any kind of beamshaper. I got the OP reflector and the ML-1 really lights up a room!

Scott is a great guy, but he is BUSY. Vacations are great but digging out is HELL

The ML-1 is worth the wait.

Last edited:

Griz

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the L1-Cree?

It still has an optic and it definitly has more ooomph!

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the L1-Cree?

It still has an optic and it definitly has more ooomph!
I have considered the L1 Cree, but I already have two L1's I can upgrade, and 10 lumens is too much light for a low mode for my tastes. It's not completely out of the picture, though

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a ML1 give me the throw I want and still act like an L4 if I use it with the beamshaper?

I have both, though I've never used a beamshaper with any SF. This is almost apples/eggs, I think. The L4 is a great light, but it has one setting: high. The genius of the L1 is the ability to do general lighting on a lower setting for extended battery llife with a high setting available for reserve. I own L1s from all three generations, by the way. I still prefer gen1 to gen2 due to its floodier beam - I don't want to carry a beamshaper. Gen3 is a great light, but the stepped-up output cost it the extended battery life. I think the gen1 modified with a suitable reflector and a Seoul emitter is the very best. Low is still low, high is brighter, more even and whiter. It's a really flexible light. I'd arrange the order with Milky, and be confident that you'll be glad you did (and forget about the delay) when it arrives.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, though I've never used a beamshaper with any SF. This is almost apples/eggs, I think. The L4 is a great light, but it has one setting: high. The genius of the L1 is the ability to do general lighting on a lower setting for extended battery llife with a high setting available for reserve. I own L1s from all three generations, by the way. I still prefer gen1 to gen2 due to its floodier beam - I don't want to carry a beamshaper. Gen3 is a great light, but the stepped-up output cost it the extended battery life. I think the gen1 modified with a suitable reflector and a Seoul emitter is the very best. Low is still low, high is brighter, more even and whiter. It's a really flexible light. I'd arrange the order with Milky, and be confident that you'll be glad you did (and forget about the delay) when it arrives.
+1 :D

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
So the Milky L1 has a non defined hotspot like the KL4 and is all flood, like the KL4?

Bill

AzGB

Enlightened
Actually Bill, it's got a significantly more defined hotspot than a KL4. If you look at the first and second pictures on my big beamshot comparison found https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172394 you'll see the difference.

I love my KL4's that I've had, but for overall use, the ML1 is probably the most common light I go to.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
AzGB, thanks. Milky does seem to have a good deal of the spill of the KL4, KL4 does seem to have a higher lumen output. However, one does pay for that KL4 high output in heat (to hand). Sort of why I turned to the KL5 for a general purpose light, though not one of my EDC's.

Bil

Brozneo

Enlightened
The ML-1 can use different reflectors and hence get different beam profiles... If you get the flood master ML-1 then the hotspot basically disapears - the whole beam is the hotspot!