A2 LED color--cant decide

iholla

Newly Enlightened
I tried searching and didnt find to much if anything. I want to get a A2 but not sure on what LED color to get. Im not using it for any speciifc purpose--just want to get a nice light:huh:

So what color do you like and WHY?

djblank87

Enlightened
I still own a red A2 and just sold a green A2. When talking about color I mean the LED color of course. I sold the green A2 to a co-worker who wanted it bad. http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...=900&sesent=0,0&srch_pid=903&search_id=471096 good luck picking a color.:thumbsup:

As far as the light color I went with red for saving my night vision. The green was for fun and I plan on getting an A2 in every color just becuase I love them :)

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
personally i would pick red, white or yellow/green
depends on what you want to use the A2 for, the red and yellow/green will help protect your night vision, while the white will probably be the most practical

iholla

Newly Enlightened
Im reading up on the Aviatrix Mod--sounds nice!

Are the LED's brighter than stock?

And the purpose for the 2-stage is just so you can light up 1-LED instead of all 3 at the same time?

Illum

Flashaholic
stock LEDs are supposedly of nichia manufacturing...and as many have complained the "white' doesn't look anywhere near "white" but more like rotten porpoise urine blue:rolleyes: I own 3 A2s and I can detest that none of them appear "white" :shakehead:

the Aviatrix, uses TCH3 LEDs thats comparable to a SMJLED mod. get yours as soon as they are in stock...I'm too waiting for aviatrix to return.:eek:oo::ohgeez:

its a general recommendation to buy A2-WH [white LEDs] because its ideal for general illumination, and since all version's LED rings can be removed...just swap in the color of your choice with the Aviatrix rings.;)

Last edited:

iholla

Newly Enlightened
True--so just the white leds suck on the stock A2?

And does all of the Aviatrox LEDS have better brightness? I mean are his colors more brighter/clearer than stock.

I was thinking just get the A2-red and then Ill get the White Led mod drop in?

Anyplace have these babies on sale? tring to beat the 195 price tag:twothumbs

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I would go with Red. I bought a Red A2 (Which is sitting to the right of me at this moment.) and have loved it. White might be a good idea if you wanted a light to use while waking around the house and didn't want red (I personally use my A2 at night when making those 2:00AM trips to the loo, Among other things.)

Illum

Flashaholic
Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really want to start with a white LED ring SF A2. Bawko can make you up replacement rings from there.

But for general use, the white is by far the best, in my opinion. I've had experience with red, yellow-green, and white A2's. The red and yellow-green are neat, but would only be warranted if you were often using your A2 for special situations, like in an aircraft cockpit or for astronomy, or where you really wanted to preserve your nightvision at all times during the night. I ran a red Bawko ring in my A2 for a week or two, and I definitely prefer my white ring.

Anyway, check out greenLED's threads on the A2 LED color question for the best information.

Carpenter

Enlightened
I agree with js. You want to start with a white LED ring. I have at least one A2 of each color and the two I use the most are the white & red rings. The white ring, while blueish in nature is excellent for those night walks in the city/suburbs when the red would get washed out with the ambient lighting anyway, however the red ring is excellent in true dark circumstances when you currently have excellent night vision anyway.

The blue ring is fine for looking for blood, but unless you are a CSI or hunter, it probably won't do you any good.
The amber ring as well as the yellow/green is great for night hikes when you need to also be reading a map. Avaitor / military comes to mind here.

You are making a great selection in getting an A2. Having the ability to use low powered LED's for normal lighting as well as having the option of a blast of incan lighting is really the best of both worlds.

Illum

Flashaholic
You are making a great selection in getting an A2. Having the ability to use low powered LED's for normal lighting as well as having the option of a blast of incan lighting is really the best of both worlds.

be advised that the A2 is not the best of both worlds...while it is the most versatile combination of the two worlds, its by no means a replacement for that dedicated LED light you haven't bought nor the xenon thrower that you haven't modded. theres many lights that are cheaper and more powerful than what the A2 can do....but if you use it for a period of time, take it on a jog, on a mountain trip...or just use it around where you live, after awhile you will begin to appreciate the A2 over its performance...thats how I started:huh:

the only inadequacy of the A2 in design is its LEDs....aside from the semiconductor department, the A2 can give you 100% light, every time you turn it on, as any user would have wanted it to.:D not a dim glow from what once was new batteries. and if the batteries are near dead...the A2 still functions very well on 3 LEDs. If you've been in pitch dark places like a remote campsite...you'd understand that 3LEDs gives out A LOT OF LIGHT:grin2:

another advice, goes to all flashaholics with A2s or not. always bring a second light and spare cells, no matter how trustworthy your light may be or how good the cells you think they are. Never know when Murphy happens to be around to trip you on your path to wherever you are walking and need a flashlight on.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I agree completely with js. I prefer the white. They do have a bit of that "angry blue Nichia" tone to them, but it really isn't distracting at all. Plus I think it gives a different hue to the beam when the incan is on. The incan is whiter than most other incans of this physical size that I have tried, even with the blue-ish LEDs. The tone is not as bad as many other 5mm Nichias I've seen.

I think the Aviatrix with one red and two white LED's is probably the MOST useful setup in terms of a mod. Low, low level red output for preserving night vision (even better than stock), two white LEDs for more intricate work where only low-levels are needed (and the white LEDs will better work with your depth perception than most of the colored LEDs), and then the full-bore incan.

In terms of a stock A2, though, I would say the WH is the best all-around light (EDC, bedside/nightstand, defensive, etc.), followed by Y/G, then red. YMMV

greenLED

Flashaholic
Personally I've never used an Aviatrix ring, I recommend you to visit GreenLED's LED comparisons at
A2: greenLED's comparison of LED colors

Thank you for the pointer, Illum. :)

Personally, I agree with js; white is the most sensible choice for the widest variety of applications. If you are, however, looking for a specific task, then other colors may match your needs better. For example, Y/G is my next favorite color after white - it's superb for real low-light conditions, and the color rendition isn't all that bad.

Anyway, read my review, and shoot any more questions you may have.

I'll be adding an orange A2 LED to the review in the next couple of weeks.

dolbyyy

Newly Enlightened
Wow--so hard to make a choice, now I know why you cant have just one...A2

My next purchase:eek: is between a L1/2 or 4

I started with a white leds that is honestly the most useful and that I EDC. Anyway I falled in love with the A2 so much that I wanted at least one for each color. I enjoy all the colored Leds, especially when walking around at home later in the night without disturbing anyone. Unfortunatelly I am still missing a Yellow/Green. Sometimes I use the A2 colored LEDs like a chromotherapy in my room when I need to relax or when I have a headache. Tha A2 is my perfect tool: size, grip, leds/incand, regulated incand etc. etc. I wouldn't change it with any other flashlight currently available.
:thumbsup:

iholla

Newly Enlightened
I think I need a dart board and see what color I hit---then Ill buy it.

Trying to decide whats the next best usefull color besides the white LED. Red/Green/Blue?