Adding glow paint to emitter

houtex

Enlightened
Any problems that I may encounter adding glow paint around the emitter board of my Ray o vac 3c cree?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually paint up on to the clear dome over the led. If you leave the front unpainted the LED is still bright, but the sides that now glow will appear brightest in your reflector/optic.
magglow.jpg

houtex

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.It took so long,about 2 weeks for this light to arrive and it not yet being in stores I was afraid to mess it up when i just got it.I'm in love with it now.I know someone will figure out a way to make it better,shorter in size,longer life,brighter,custom accessories.Until that day comes this is my new favorite light.

houtex

Enlightened
Well i added the glow to it.Carefully painting thin even coats all around the emitter.Then i waited about 2 hours for it to dry.I then re-installed the head and guess what,it lookks like crap.The base of the collimator lense rest on the board of the cree emitter.All my work was crushed and smeared.Pushed out to the side.:shakeheadI guess I could try again and this time not screw the head all the way down but the hot spot doesn't look as tight and defined when the lens is backed off.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm having trouble picturing what exactly went wrong here. That said, now that you know where *not* to put the paint, you can use a toothpick as you paint to keep the GID paint away from unwanted places.

I once added GID to an emitter slug, and the extra thickness of the paint messed up the Z-axis and the LED module wouldn't complete the circuit. Took a while to figure out what the hey was wrong.

Well i added the glow to it.Carefully painting thin even coats all around the emitter.Then i waited about 2 hours for it to dry.I then re-installed the head and guess what,it lookks like crap.The base of the collimator lense rest on the board of the cree emitter.All my work was crushed and smeared.Pushed out to the side.:shakeheadI guess I could try again and this time not screw the head all the way down but the hot spot doesn't look as tight and defined when the lens is backed off.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
excuse me for the out of track question but I don't like to make another thread the need only a YES or NO so here you are:

can I put glow in my mag85 with KIU socket?

I can't immage where but, can I?

thanks!